An Important Decision that’s All Too Often Neglected

Life Quote

An Important Decision that’s All Too Often Neglected

I often see statistics that baffle me, then make me chuckle because I know they apply to me (and not always in a flattering way).  For example I once saw a statistic that showed how the average Canadian knew a lot about the United States, but most Americans couldn’t name the Canadian Prime Minister or most of the Provinces.  I laughed and said that’s silly, then added myself to the list.  I recently read another statistic that 34 percent of employees spent 15 minutes or less researching their benefit options in 2014.  Can you imagine?  It is one of the most important decisions that we can make as it plays into our health coverage and our financials, two of the most important things imaginable.

An Important Decision that's All Too Often Neglected

Well, as much as I’d like to criticize those that fall into that 34 percent I have to admit that I was once a part of it.  There were a number of reasons for it, I guess.  One was procrastination, I would tell myself that the deadline to elect a plan wasn’t for another month or so and that I could just research it then.  We all know how that goes, “then” becomes “now” in the blink of an eye.  Another reason I didn’t study the different benefit options available was that I was just intimidated by the unfamiliar.  HMO, PPO, EPO, Cobra and a lot of other acronyms and words with meanings I did not know.  Those words and acronyms didn’t usually come into my daily life so I managed to skate by (for a while) without learning about them.  Well, that all changed for me a few years ago

Family Picture

That’s often the case, it can be a negative experience or a positive one such as a child being born or a marriage, but usually a life changing event will cause someone to say “hmm, maybe I should be paying more attention to this stuff”.  For me that was the case, and I realized that I had been using the wrong plan for the last few years and not even electing for certain coverage that was extremely important to me.  Better late than never, and now I know how serious it is to research everything available for my plans and figure out which work best for me.   It’s so worth it to set aside time (at least a few hours) to research insurance options for you and your family and avoid falling into health care protection that is inadequate for you and your families.  Most of that occurs right around this time of year, as the majority of US companies begin open enrollment to switch or renew insurance policies in the Fall.

One size fits all plans are not going to cut it, that’s for sure.  There are baby boomers, Gen-Xers, millennials and the new Generation Z coming up.  The typical family can now span more generations than what was traditional in the past, and a 20 year old single coworker has much different insurance needs and considerations than someone supporting kids and parents of an advanced age.  For that reason I like voluntary insurance like those provided by Aflac, where one can select the policies that apply to them and bypass those that don’t.

Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US (about 1 in 4 deaths in the country are attributable to heart disease according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).   In my family we unfortunately have a greater risk for heart disease than a typical family, so that makes it an even greater risk.  To be able to select Aflac’s Critical Illness Insurance to help my family stay ahead of medical expenses is huge.  We can stay ahead of out-of-pocket expenses from strokes or heart attacks.  To me that’s just peace of mind.  I know that whenever a serious illness hits my family it will be a shock and tough to deal with, but knowing that I am doing what I can to brace for such an event is reassuring.  From the initial diagnosis through the treatment I’ll have help.  If someone is like me whose family has a history of heart disease, stroke or heart attacks, or if they are a Generation X or Baby boomer, it’s not a bad idea to research Critical Illness Insurance.

Aflac Logo

Knowing is half the battle as they say, and spending the time to get acquainted with something so important can make an immense difference for you and or a family member sometime down the line.  Aflac is a leader in the space and for good reason, they have a huge variety of plans that also include accident insurance, cancer insurance, hospital indemnity insurance and of course life insurance and disability insurance.  You can learn more on Aflac website:

I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

ascendingbutterfly
    Oct 2, 2015 at 8:22 am

Most insurances often get neglected until it is too late – Health/Medical as well as Life, it is sad but true!

Tracy @ Ascending Butterfly

Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle
    Oct 2, 2015 at 2:43 pm

It really pays to have a supplemental insurance plan like this. Insurance may pay for most or all medical, but how are going to live if you can’t work?

Jeanette
    Oct 2, 2015 at 4:21 pm

I have never had this secondary insurance, but I think it is a great idea especially when hospitals are WAY over priced now. I am actually thinking about getting it for our family.

Amanda Faulkner
    Oct 2, 2015 at 10:10 pm

I’m a little ashamed to say that I fall into that 34%. I’ve never really paid too much attention, but this year I’ve vowed to make sure I’m not suck with a plan that I hate.

Chubskulit Rose
    Oct 3, 2015 at 1:23 am

We have two dental insurance but not medical. Ut would be nice to have two medical insurance as well.

Britni
    Oct 3, 2015 at 1:31 am

I am obsessed when it comes to looking over our health insurance options! I try to stay on top of it. This year it has gotten away from me a little bit. I actually was just talking to someone about Aflac. I think we could have really benefitted from it this year. I’m going to start looking into it.

sharon Martin
    Oct 3, 2015 at 10:00 am

It really does pay to take your time when looking at what is available and get the right cover for your needs.

Annemarie LeBlanc
    Oct 3, 2015 at 11:57 am

Getting the right insurance for your needs is a wise investment. It may seem costly today, but we may never know what lies in the future. Better safe than sorry.

Jeanine
    Oct 3, 2015 at 2:50 pm

I think it’s super important to shop around and get what is truly right and beneficial. We need to reevluate ours!

Dina
    Oct 3, 2015 at 8:58 pm

This is so true. I just found out my health insurance is gone. So I have 2 months to find new insurance. Guess I better get to researching.

Jaime Nicole
    Oct 3, 2015 at 10:34 pm

I think what makes it even more difficult is how much it can vary from place to place. Aflac has some really great options for our family and it was a lot easier to understand than many of the other options that are out there.

winifredjac
    Oct 4, 2015 at 2:00 am

I do not know too much about all that stuff either. I’m glad you have a plan you’re comfortable with though. Act on things right away… good message.

Ourfamilyworld
    Oct 4, 2015 at 3:13 am

We also don’t have a secondary insurance and I think it’s about time we consider this. I will look more into this.

Lynndee
    Oct 4, 2015 at 3:58 pm

This is the first time that I’ve heard of Critical Illness Insurance. And I agree with you, having that kind of insurance is important. Will check it out.

Ann Bacciaglia
    Oct 4, 2015 at 3:58 pm

I have a supplement insurance to cover what our OHIP here in Canada does not. It is always smart to know just what is covered so there are no surprises.

patricemfoster
    Oct 4, 2015 at 8:04 pm

I am thinking about a second insurance just have not made a decision as yet.

Linda Kinsman
    Oct 4, 2015 at 8:51 pm

My husband and I are currently shopping around for more/additional insurance. We want to make the best financial decision possible for where we are now.

Tatanisha Pitts-Worthey
    Oct 4, 2015 at 9:51 pm

Health insurance is very important but many people neglect to review their policy on a regular basis. Getting second insurance sounds excellent too though we haven’t got yet, Aflac does seems like offering great options.

CourtneyLynne
    Oct 5, 2015 at 3:12 am

This was really great info!!! I’m not gunna lie, I have no clue about the kind of insurance I have. It’s all Threw hubby’s work so I just let him handle it 😉

tonyacoleman
    Oct 5, 2015 at 4:08 pm

It is always a good idea to have a second insurance, especially if you have a family! But working at companies that can provide insurance for you as one of their benefits makes it much easier.

Krystal's Kitsch
    Oct 6, 2015 at 3:52 pm

It’s important to be protected! Insurance is a lifesaver for many of us.

Bradley Finnearty
    Oct 9, 2015 at 9:32 am

I have had the good fortune of having really good insurance when it was needed. Now that I am getting close to the retirement age I now realize how much seniors are left to pay more when they can least afford it. Things seem backwards to me on that one. I now have to start worrying about a secondary insurance after retirement. Thanks for the heads up.