Best Slow Cooker Pulled Pork recipes
Looking for a simple slow cooker pulled pork recipe? You’ve come to the right place. This is one of the best pulled pork recipes as the end result tastes great with either regular buns, fun sliders, as sandwich on bread or served up with rice. The taste is different from barbeque pulled pork and I like this recipe as it has less sugar without the bbq sauce. There are also more flavors playing in. Slight tastes of cinnamon, hoisin sauce and ginger go a long way and make this recipe a winner.
Some may refer to this recipe as Asian pulled pork recipe or just Asian sliders. With soy, hoisin and ginger that makes a lot of sense. My quest for the best slow cooker pulled pork recipes came to fruition after a trip to Maui last year. I was so pleased with the food in Hawaii, and each day was tempted to have a diet of pulled pork and ahi tuna, two dishes that were better tasting there than anywhere else I’ve visited, by far. We were able to mix it up with some locals and visit a party that had even better food than many of the restaurants around. The Hawaiian people have such pride in so many things, and their food falls right in-line. I didn’t get the full home recipe that day but did get a couple of pointers on how to replicate the amazing pork taste, enjoy.
Best Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipe - Asian Style
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ¼ cup soy sauce or fish sauce
- ⅓ cup hoisin sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cm piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat then sear each side of the pork shoulder for about 3 minutes per side
- In a crock pot, place the seared pork shoulder and onion then pour in soy sauce, hoisin sauce, garlic, ginger, star anise, cinnamon sticks, black pepper, sesame oil, rice vinegar and honey. Stir well.
- Cook on high for about 4 hours or low heat for 8 hours
- Serve the pulled pork over steamed rice or buns.