Breast Cancer Awareness Month : What You Should Know #ThisDuckWearsPink #ad

About 10 years ago, I felt a lump on my left breast. I was 25 years old with no history of breast cancer in my family. I was out of job due to relocating to another state and had no health insurance to cover my medical expenses. I also didn’t have much money in my bank account. I was of course worried and my financial situation and everything else going on in my life. I went to see an OBYGN. I was scared but I knew in my heart that I need to seek medical attention. The hope that the lump wasn’t cancerous was all I could think of and I needed an answer. My OBGYN also felt the lump and he referred me to a specialist. I had no other choice but to keep seeking out the final result. After a few tests, they declared that they didn’t find any cancerous cells. They asked me to come back every 6 months to make sure that nothing was developing differently and that the cells still looked cancer free. I still go for regular checkups and recommend women and men do the same.

Breast Cancer Awareness Month : What You Should Know about Breast Cancer #ThisDuckWearsPink #adOctober Is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and this is the annual campaign to increase awareness of the disease. About 1 in 8 women will develop invasive breast cancer, it’s the second most common kind of cancer in women and Approximately 231,340 new cases of breast cancer are diagnosed in the U.S. each year. Those are some serious statistics. The great news is that millions of women are surviving breast cancer. It is so necessary to get those screening exams and early detection. Breast cancer affects women of all ages, so it’s recommended that women in their 20s and 30s get regular clinical breast exams, while women 40 and older have regular mammograms. There are also breast self exams (BSEs) that we should all do as well.

In addition to regular exams, it is important to know about your insurance provider’s policies. There is no better time than right now as most U.S. companies have open enrollment in the fall months. There are cancer insurance policies like the one provided by Aflac that can help with treatment expenses as well as transportation, and even living expenses like groceries. How great is that? One could focus their thoughts and efforts on what matters most, their health.

Breast Cancer Awareness Month : What You Should Know about Breast Cancer #ThisDuckWearsPink #adThere are many other plans out there so it is so important to get as acquainted as you can with your benefit options. Some, like Aflac’s cash benefits will help with the out-of-pocket costs tied to expensive cancer treatments (note: breast cancer patients with breast cancer patients with employer-sponsored health insurance spend $6,553 out-of-pocket).

I love that Aflac is a true ally to women with their offerings in this area, and also that they have a partnership with the American Association for Cancer Research Foundation. The best and brightest scientists are working hard to find a cure and I appreciate companies like Aflac that give their much needed support.

Check out This Duck Wears Pink website for more information about Aflac’s partnership with the American Association for Cancer Research Foundation

I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

• Reply Robin Rue (@massholemommy) Oct 22, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Oh how I wish they would just find a cure for cancer already. I know way too many people that have been affected by it.

• Reply Crystal McWhirter-Lopez Oct 25, 2015 at 3:46 am

I could not agree more! I really wish they would find a cure. My mother in law was diagnosed in early 2014. It was a scary journey, but after a mastectomy, chemo and radiation she is cancer free. I hate cancer!

• Reply Shasta Walton Oct 22, 2015 at 4:19 pm

I love seeing all of the support and awareness programs that pop up in October! With early detection being so key with this horrible disease I think it’s a great program and is capable of helping save lives.

• Reply Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle Oct 22, 2015 at 4:40 pm

I love seeing all this awareness being brought to breast cancer, but I wish they could find a cure already. This needs to be wiped off the face of the earth.

• Reply Robin Rue (@massholemommy) Oct 23, 2015 at 10:01 am

OMG I agree. I hate breast cancer, and all cancer for that matter, with a passion.

• Reply Jesica H Oct 22, 2015 at 5:23 pm

I love how everyone units for a common goal! Hopefully we will find a cure soon!

• Reply misstywatson Oct 23, 2015 at 12:02 am

Breast cancer sucks and I hate seeing anyone going through the pain. I hope someone finds a cure soon!

• Reply lisa Oct 23, 2015 at 12:24 am

I think the duck wears pink is a great campaign. I have a number of friends who have had breast cancer and it is terrible.

• Reply Lindsay Oct 23, 2015 at 12:56 am

This really hits home for me and I love how much this spreads the awareness!

• Reply jeanette Oct 23, 2015 at 1:44 am

I have always thought about getting AFLAC. I have yet to do it, but I think that it is a great idea. You never know when you will need money and this is the BEST way to cover yourself in case of a loss!

• Reply tonygreene113 Oct 23, 2015 at 9:29 am

I go through biannuals myself. Not for breast cancer but for brain tumor scans and endocrine hormone monitoring.
    Its a small price to pay for keeping what’s left of my sanity.
    Bless you..

• Reply pinkhydrangea Oct 23, 2015 at 1:23 pm

your blog is beautiful–this is such an important interest thanks for bringing attention to it!

• Reply Ourfamilyworld Oct 23, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Early detection is really the key to surviving breast cancer. I’ve heard about Aflac and I would love to look more into this.

• Reply Deanna Oct 23, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Such a scary situation. This sounds like a great program.

• Reply Michelle Liew Oct 23, 2015 at 2:37 pm

A good call to action to stop this debilitating malady.

• Reply Chubskulit Rose Oct 23, 2015 at 4:35 pm

I love it that a lot of companies now are helping to raise awareness with this devastating issue. Kodus to Aflac.

• Reply yumeating Oct 23, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Love the duck! I also love that more and more companies are stepping up to the plate to help out for charity. They have the biggest voices when it comes to funding.

• Reply livingoffloveandcoffee Oct 23, 2015 at 6:38 pm

With a history of cancer in my family I knw how important it is to get proper checkups. I love the awareness that Aflac is giving.

• Reply Ann Bacciaglia Oct 23, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Breast Cancer Awareness Month is so important. Women need to do self exams so they can detect any lumps early.

• Reply LifeAsAConvert Oct 23, 2015 at 6:46 pm

I think this is a cute duck. I have a lot of family and friends that have dealt with breast cancer, some survived, others didn’t.

• Reply Elizabeth O. Oct 23, 2015 at 8:03 pm

It’s a good thing that there wasn’t anything serious with your findings. I would have done the same thing. Breast cancer is a serious issue and I’m happy that a lot of women are surviving it because of early detection.

• Reply Shaylee Field Oct 23, 2015 at 8:37 pm

This is a great way to spread awareness. It’s great when large companies get involved in a cause.

• Reply Liz Mays Oct 23, 2015 at 8:48 pm

What an awesome way to support breast cancer awareness. I’ll have to check out the site to check out some of what they’re selling!

• Reply Lynsey Jones Oct 23, 2015 at 11:15 pm

Aflac is a wonderful program. I like the fact that they are promoting what they do for breast cancer patients too.

• Reply danavento Oct 24, 2015 at 1:33 am

I heart AFLAC and all the attention that has been brought onto Breast Cancer Awareness

• Reply thecrunchymommy Oct 24, 2015 at 2:01 am

AFLAC offers a great service and I loooooove him in pink!!!

• Reply Angie@chasingmyhalo Oct 24, 2015 at 6:23 am

I’m so glad your test results were clear! I had Aflak for awhile and really liked it. So great to see them teaming up for a great cause!

• Reply Rosey Oct 24, 2015 at 9:51 am

I love this way to help support breast cancer awareness. I love that little duck too. 😉

• Reply patricemfoster Oct 24, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Glad to hear you pass with flying color. AFLAC is a wonderful to have and more than every I am happy to know they are team up with Breast Cancer for such great cause.

• Reply Lexie Lane Oct 24, 2015 at 10:10 pm

I love raising breast cancer awareness. AFLAC sounds amazing, I would like to share this into my friends.

• Reply Claudette Esterine Oct 25, 2015 at 12:16 am

I was reading just now that this coming Monday a report will be released about the risk of cancer that red and processed meat such as sausages pose. It is expected that these food items will be ranked as “dangerous” to good health as cigarettes. I mention this in response to the comments about prevention. I am guilty of not being as mindful as I might be about what I eat. So glad to hear that your results were negative and my prayer is that they will remain that way.

• Reply Eileen xo Oct 25, 2015 at 1:03 am

I have so many health issues – last year had an issue on my mammography – thankful negative – we need a cure for all cancers

• Reply kleebanks Oct 25, 2015 at 1:06 am

I have lost both of my parents to cancer, so I truly echo those who say let’s just find a cure – we’re all more than aware of it!

• Reply Eileen Mendoza Loya Oct 25, 2015 at 10:23 am

I have two cousins who had breast cancer and both of them underwent mastectomies. I am happy that there are a lot of groups who recognize the need to find a cure.

• Reply JessicaACassidy (@wifetoalineman) Oct 25, 2015 at 11:21 am

Aflac commercial always makes me smile.They have the funniest ad ever.

• Reply Ourfamilyworld Oct 25, 2015 at 5:17 pm

I’ve heard about Aflac. My husband’s aunt succumbed to breast cancer. I hope they will discover a cure soon.

• Reply Yona Williams Oct 25, 2015 at 9:12 pm

It’s interesting that you don’t hear much (well, I don’t) about breastfeeding lowering breast cancer risk. The out-of-pocket costs for breast cancer is also pretty scary and sad.

• Reply Sharon Oct 26, 2015 at 12:48 am

Very glad your tests came back good. I had a similar situation in 2009 or so. Although I have dealt with cancer, I haven’t had to deal with breast cancer. Compared to the battle many fight, mine was easy and I find it hard to call myself a survivor in comparison.

• Reply ascendingbutterfly Oct 26, 2015 at 3:00 am

Glad that you are cancer free and helping to raise awareness, it’s always great to support brands that are doing something to give back!

Tracy @ Ascending Butterfly