Are you looking for a low carb chicken enchilada recipe or tasty casserole recipes? Look no further, this Shredded Chicken Enchilada Recipe has all of the delights of flavor from shredded chicken, diced green chiles, corn, beans, fresh lime and of course enchilada sauce. It’s extremely healthy, I added just a little bit of Mexican cheese along the top but to be honest it doesn’t even need it. The chicken is marinated in a Southwest Spice Mix. What an easy dish to make, and a bonus that it’s great for my husband who is trying to reach his diet goals of getting plenty of veggies and protein while keeping his a low fat and low carb intake. This Shredded Chicken Enchilada Recipe is so simple, I skipped making my own enchilada sauce by buying a trusted enchilada sauce at the grocery store. If you do the same, be sure to pick up all natural enchilada sauce with no preservatives.
Mexican food is extremely popular in my family, we gravitate towards burritos and tacos early in the morning, late night after some drinks and everywhere in between. Enchiladas are another favorite of ours, the balanced ingredients keep the shredded chicken moist and flavorful. I was at first hesitant to try the recipe with just a pinch of cheese, as growing up any enchilada I ate was both stuffed and topped with at least a few kinds of cheeses. Removing the tortillas from a enchilada recipe was another thing that doubted, but with the right ingredients and flavoring it does just fine. I still like to enjoy my tortillas every now and then, but great to know that traditional Mexican and Mexican influenced dishes are a go in my healthy household; we couldn’t live without them! Hope you’ll enjoy this easy casserole dish: Shredded Chicken Enchilada Recipe.
Don’t have Southwest Spice Mix? I have a good spice mix recipe for you.
Shredded Chicken Enchilada Casserole RecipePrint Pin Rate
To marinate chicken breasts:
- 2 medium chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon southwest spice mix (you can also make your own spice, recipe here) https://poshjournal.com/slow-cooker-ground-turkey-butternut-squash-corn-peas-southwest-spice-blend
- salt/pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil split in 2
- 1 can (8 oz) kernel corn drained
- 1 can (10 oz) black beans drained
- 1 medium red onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Southwest Spice Mix
- 1 can (5 oz) diced green chiles drained (remove juice)
- 1 can (10 oz) green enchilada sauce
- 2 cups Mexican cheese or Colby-monterey jack cheese
- Marinate the chicken breast with garlic powder, cumin, southwest mix, salt/pepper, 2 tablespoons olive oil and put in the fridge for at least 10 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in the skillet pan over medium heat, add the chicken and sear until the chicken is browned on both sides and fully cooked. Transfer the chicken to a plate and shred the chicken into pieces.
- Use the same skillet pan and remaining oil, cook red onion until tender. Set aside.
- In a casserole dish, add a half portion of drained corn kernel, beans, chicken, red onion and mix well together with cumin, garlic powder, southwest spice mix, green chiles, enchilada sauce and top with cheese. Repeat this step once more.
- Bake (uncovered at 350F) for about 15-30 minutes, or until heated through and the cheese is melted.