Desk job grinding you down? Try 7 easy tips to feel alive and free!

Desk job grinding you down? Try 7 easy tips to feel alive and free!

Desk job grinding you down? Try 7 easy tips to feel alive and free!

Energize body and mind by making some simple lifestyle changes. Some are easy, and will help you get through that dreaded phone call, spreadsheet or TPS report.
*Warning: Each step doubles as a forbidden dance move.

1. Pump Those Breaks

Most companies offer a couple of 15 minute breaks twice a day. That’s enough time for many of you to get outside for a jaunt around the block, or at least get up and walk around the scenic cube farm a bit. Stretching your legs will get blood flowing in your body and you will come back refreshed, often with a new approach to solving the world’s problems (or at least fixing the error that’s shown on your computer for the last 2 months).

2. Make it Juicy

Juicing and blending are all the rage, and for good reason: it’s a great way to ingest tons of vegetables and fruit that you might not otherwise eat. Stock up a week’s worth of veggies each Sunday and stay on top of it every day. In addition to vastly improving your health, you’ll likely save some dough compared to purchasing lunches at work, or raiding the “wheel of death,” aka vending machine.

Tip: Add in extras such as protein powder, fish oil, flax seeds, hemp seeds or chia seeds.

2000lbs Static Strength Exercise Stability Ball with Pump

3. Bounce About

Many people have great ergonomic chairs that they slouch in for 8+ hours a day. Go figure! Try instead sitting on a large exercise ball. It will force you to align your body and also tighten up your core abdominal and back muscles. There are ball chairs that are similar in concept but also offer back support. It’s a nice reprieve to channel your inner-child and bop up and down a bit on these too, just for fun.

Tip: Keep your regular chair and slowly transition to the ball. Even 15 minutes could make you sore if you’re a newbie!

4. Git -Up, Git-Up

If sitting on a ball isn’t your cup of tea, another option to help out your back is to get a standing desk. There are some cool DIY design ideas out there and many options for purchase as well. Sitting all day at your desk and then going home to sit more is obviously not an ideal lifestyle, and these alternative desk options are getting more popular and accepted so you won’t get as many weird looks as a few years back.

5. Push ‘n Roll

Desk jobs take a huge toll on the neck, shoulders and back. As a remedy consider massage cushions. They have come a long way, and the quality of some recent models can arguably compare to visiting a professional masseuse with options of heat, kneading and shiatsu. If you work at home or away from others you could use them at your desk too.

6. The Zombie

If you’re getting a much less than 8 hours of sleep each night, you are likely operating at only a fraction of your potential. There are a slew of devices and apps out there to track your steps taken each day, but did you know there are many that also track your sleep? They show how long it takes you to fall asleep, the amount of REM hours you’re getting and they even give you a sleep score. Some have extra bells and whistles such as advising what changes you should make to improve your sleep habits, including your bed time, room temperature and lighting. So much focus is put towards diet and exercise; sleep is just as crucial an area for your happiness, stress levels and overall health.

7. The Downward Dog

Just about everyone knows how amazing yoga is, but not many people incorporate it into their working lives (where they need it most!). Many great stretches and yoga poses can be done while either seated in a chair or standing up. Combine these with yoga-based breathing techniques throughout the day and you will be a calm, collect warrior.

• Reply Robin Rue (@massholemommy) Sep 12, 2015 at 4:31 pm

I haven’t had a desk job in many, many years. I don’t miss it at all, but if I ever go back, I will definitely use some of your great tips.

• Reply Kita Bryant Sep 12, 2015 at 10:30 pm

I had a desk job and I couldn’t sit still now I sit for hours at a time. I need to get somthing where I can stand up and do my work too but the ball will work for now.

• Reply Kam Kay Sep 13, 2015 at 1:04 pm

I never found day job to be very interesting. These are some great tips! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Dogvills Sep 13, 2015 at 3:48 pm

I have never tried working in a real office. These are great tips I can use when I’m about to nod off in front of my computer when I’m working on my blogs.

• Reply patricemfoster Sep 13, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Great tips to use in other work setting when I am bored and want to fall asleep at the computer thanks for sharing.

• Reply Mykidsguide Sep 13, 2015 at 4:54 pm

I never had a desk job, but I sit in front of my computer for a long time because of my online job. I could definitely use these tips to make me feel alive when I am having an afternoon slump.

• Reply Liz Mays Sep 14, 2015 at 3:01 am

I need to do a few of these. Sitting all day is really not doing me any good at all!

• Reply Tammileetips Sep 14, 2015 at 3:07 am

Working at a desk is can make for a very boring day sitting still. I try to set a timer so I get up every so often and walk around when I have to work at a desk for long periods of time. I have used an exercise ball for a computer chair as well before and it worked great.

• Reply RonRon Sep 14, 2015 at 6:40 am

Love the number 6 tip. Thanks for sharing this up!

• Reply Elizabeth O. Sep 14, 2015 at 8:16 am

I haven’t been feeling alive and free lately, maybe I just need to try these! Thanks for the tips!

• Reply Rosey Sep 14, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Ah I’ve done the zombie. It’s hard to sleep when your mind is overoccupied too.

• Reply MsCrookedHalo Sep 14, 2015 at 5:11 pm

I do some of these now because I work from home. Actually, every hour or so, I get up and clean for 5 minutes on the microwave timer so that I am getting 2 in 1.

• Reply Yona Williams Sep 14, 2015 at 8:35 pm

I’m at a desk for most of the day, typing and researching client projects. I often get up and pace a bit to get the circulation going, and make frequent trips to make coffee. I actually have a couple of those large exercise balls…maybe it’s time to start using one.

• Reply Krystal's Kitsch Sep 14, 2015 at 9:38 pm

I literally hate sitting at a desk all day. It really hurts my body. I will have to try a bouncy ball or take walks throughout the day! I will have to get motivated to implement these changes.

• Reply taylorgilmore Sep 15, 2015 at 12:31 am

I sit in front of my computer most of the day and I’ve found that taking frequent breaks and scheduling 2-3 short walks outside each day does give me a lift.

• Reply Victoria Sep 15, 2015 at 6:25 am

This is a great tips. I never experienced to work in a real office but i can use it doing my works in front of my computer