Do You Eat Too Much of These Healthy Foods? Warning!

Do You Eat Too Much of These Healthy Foods? Warning!

Do You Eat Too Much of These Healthy Foods? Warning!

Logically you may think that by getting a large dose of healthy food you’d be boosting your health. Over-indulging in certain nutritious foods however could be just as dangerous as less healthy options.  Take Spinach or Kale for example.  Both are very healthy but if consuming too much long-term the following ingredients could pose danger to your body: sugar, protein, acids, mercury, and even oxalates.

Here are other foods that you likely want in your diet, but should be mindful of overconsumption risks.

• Beets, Spinach, Rhubarb, Strawberries, Nuts, Chocolate, Tea, Wheat Bran and All Dry Beans, including Green Beans

These nine foods are known to increase oxalate in the urine which can lead to the formation of kidney stones.

Tip : Try to drink plenty of fluid and do not include large amounts of high-oxalate vegetables in your green smoothies. Also avoid large amounts of Vitamin C. Try to boil  high-oxalate leafy greens then discard the water to reduce amount of oxalate.

• Citrus fruits and Tomatoes

Eating too many oranges or tomatoes can lead to reflux and trigger heartburn. It can also damage the esophagus itself, increasing esophageal cancer risk.

Citrus foods are high in Vitamin C but can be dangerous for your teeth because of the high acidity. Lemons and limes are the worst in this area, so be sure to eat them less often and avoid brushing your teeth immediately afterwards as that can actually spread the acid around your mouth.  Instead wait at least 30 minutes.

• Seafoods ( Canned Tuna)

Tuna can contain mercury.  It is a poison for the nervous system and  there is evidence that it’s contents of methylmercury can cause cancer.

Tip : Choose canned light tuna (Skipjack) instead of Albacore which is almost 3x higher in its mercury levels. Limit up to three 3-ounce portions per month or choose salmon sockeye or pink salmon from Alaska instead ( lower mercury but high in  heart-healthy omega-3s).

• Soy

Is it bad or good?  Soy will control cholesterol levels and blood pressure when consumed in moderation. Too much Soy in your diet could affect your thyroid system, delay menstruation,  stimulate existing breast cancer growth, iron-deficiency anemia, and endometrial hyperplasia that can lead to uterine cancer.

• Brazil Nuts

These are very high in selenium, and has been shown to lower serum cholesterol and blood pressure. Eating too many Brazil Nuts could be toxic to you body and cause hair loss, nervous system damage, skin sores and rashes, discolored teeth, diarrhea, nausea and nail brittleness or loss. In extreme cases, it may cause kidney damage, heart failure or death.  These are of course at high levels of consumption, but with people making strict regimented diets of healthy food it becomes a real concern.

Tip : Limit your consumption of these to about 10 Brazilian nuts per day at the very most.

More source : WomensHealthMag

Ourfamilyworld
    Sep 11, 2015 at 7:16 am

Like they always say, “Too much of a good thing can be bad, too.” You are right, a lot of us get the wrong notion that when we consume a large dose of healthy food, we are boosting our health. This is a good list.

Robin Rue (@massholemommy)
    Sep 11, 2015 at 9:52 am

I practically survive completely on junk food, so I think I am in the clear 😉 I guess there is such a thing as too much of a good thing, huh?

Jeanette
    Sep 11, 2015 at 4:07 pm

I think this is a good point! You need to makes sure you get all in little doses, over doing anything is not good. We are built to eat everything, not just a few things.

Alli
    Sep 11, 2015 at 6:33 pm

I have never cared for Brazil nuts – ever, so no worries there. 🙂 I love spinach and strawberries, but I don’t think I over-consume any of these. I am glad that you made me aware of problems they could cause.

Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle
    Sep 11, 2015 at 9:00 pm

This was such an interesting read! You never think of the possibility of eating TOO MUCH good food. At least I never have before.

Megan Elford
    Sep 12, 2015 at 1:01 am

I didn’t realize most of these risks, but it makes sense – too much of anything always has consequences. I *try* to eat everything in moderation, and it looks like that may be the best plan of action.

Annemarie LeBlanc
    Sep 12, 2015 at 7:01 am

This is a good read. I should let my son read this. He loves peanuts and always has a jar of it on his study desk. I guess it is true that we should always have everything in moderation, no matter how “healthy” it is labeled to be.

michele d
    Sep 12, 2015 at 12:41 pm

I had no idea! Who would of though eating to much of these healthy foods wouldn’t be good for you. This is great to know.

lisa
    Sep 12, 2015 at 4:43 pm

This is really good to know. We often think we’re eating healthy but forget that even healthy foods can be bad if we eat too much!

Chubskulit Rose
    Sep 12, 2015 at 6:29 pm

I love Brazil nus myself, we always buy them during holidays. My hair keep thinning out ever since I have kids so I I would say it is not because I eat too much of this nut. I only eat them on holidays so I don’t think it’s bad.

Ann Bacciaglia
    Sep 13, 2015 at 3:41 am

This is great information. I eat Brazil Nuts all the time. I did not know they could be toxic.

Lynndee
    Sep 13, 2015 at 2:34 pm

This surely kind of scared me. I love tuna and I eat canned tuna every week. Glad to have read this. No more canned tuna for me this month. 🙂

The Trophy WifeStyle
    Sep 14, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Ahhhh i do drink a lot of tea. I’ve never had kidney stones & really hope I never do! Glad I know this now !

jo
    Sep 14, 2015 at 10:19 pm

Too much of something is not good. I learned it the hard way when I ate a lot of dairy and got myself worried because I was nursing and didn’t know my little one have cow’s milk protein allergy. Argh. I am actually afraid to ‘overdose’ on any kind of food now, and yes, that includes acidic foods (orange and strawberries).