How I found My Real Estate Agent and What I’d Wish I’d Known Before

real estate agent san diego

When buying a home, finding the right real estate agent can make a world of difference in both the process and the resulting home that you purchase.  My family has twice been involved in the purchase of a home and had two very different experiences with agents.  The first time around we just went with an agent that we had stumbled upon through a referral from a coworker.  We didn’t really know his credentials or track record, or how he compared with other agents in our area.  We definitely didn’t know any statistics on his commission or rebate rates.  Looking back on that experience he was not a bad person, but definitely didn’t have our best interest in-mind.  The process was rather rushed and focused around one property, without having other properties to compare it to.   To this day I don’t really know if we got a great deal on that property, and I think that agent got more than a fair cut for very little work done on our behalf.  We no longer have that home, things did not end well.

upset review

The second time we purchased a home was night and day from the first.  We found an agent that guided us through the process from a very early stage.  We were pretty head-strong on a particular property but she had us pump the breaks on such an important decision, and really survey our options with a holistic approach to assess our finances, home types, market growth and more.  She has tons of great reviews and accolades and it all makes sense as to why.  Even though she had other clients that she was working at the time we really felt like her only client, she was responsive and proactive at every juncture.  There were a lot of extras too that helped us out, like the fact that she seemed to know all of the selling agents really well and is active in the community and knew all of the details about the different communities around town.

upset review

We have nobody but ourselves to blame for not doing our due diligence in researching an agent the first time around.  If I could go back in time I would have compared many agents side-by-side and I’m sure I would have landed on a great one.  Today the process of vetting and comparing agents to land on the best one is very easy thanks to UpNest.  UpNest brings all of the critical information on agents together to make comparing them side-by-side very hassle free.  I love the interface and how you can see the most important stats side by side in a cool dashboard view with charts that make narrowing down your top agent candidates a snap.  It was  impressive to see agents’ objective data which oftentimes speak for themselves (years of experience, number of transactions and gross sales in last 12 months, etc.), .  I also liked that I could read a profile on each agent to get some of the subjective background and on what sets them apart from other agents.  It’s almost like reading a company’s mission statement, and some pulled me in while others didn’t which helped my narrowing process even more.  Some had personalized recordings, too.

When signing up with UpNest you personalize the criteria based on what’s important to you.  This is great, a broad stroke algorithm would never work as each of us has such different preferences when it comes to home buying and working with agents.  The UpNest process is also very expedited, with 3 to 5 rebate and commission quotes coming in to you within 24 hours.  There’s no obligation with UpNest, it’s basically an amazing tool that you’d be wise to use with no risk involved.

I’ve made more than my share of poor decisions in the past, but don’t get too down on myself as life is a journey and I’m getting wiser each day.  I like that I’m arming myself with more knowledge and insight on important topics like real estate.  It’s important to also realize that we can’t do everything ourselves, and that when faced with the most important choices in life it helps to tap into helpful resources like UpNest.

Learn more about UpNest and try finding an agent hassle free –  compare top local agents and save thousands when selling or buying your home.

• Reply Jennifer L Johnson Feb 13, 2017 at 1:43 pm

We went through word of mouth to find our agent. She is still a good family friend and we will use again if when it’s time to buy another house.

• Reply Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle Feb 13, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Upnest sounds like a great service. When we started looking for our house, it was almost harder to find a good agent than it was to find the perfect house!

• Reply Karissa WithOurBest Feb 13, 2017 at 7:57 pm

I’ve never heard of UpNest. I have a realtor friend who has been amazing to us finding our home. Having a good agent is a must!

• Reply Traveling Well For Less Feb 14, 2017 at 6:38 am

Wow, technology sure has changed. I had no idea you could use a service to find a real estate agent. We used old-fashioned word of mouth to find our realtor.

• Reply Melissa Dixon Feb 14, 2017 at 8:54 am

My story is similar in that the first time I bought a house my real estate agent was terrible and I didn’t get a very good deal. The second time I bought a house my agent was awesome and I saved a ton!

• Reply My Teen Guide Feb 14, 2017 at 9:02 am

Having a trusted agent is really important. Glad you shared about this. This is really helpful.

• Reply Ricci Feb 14, 2017 at 11:02 am

This is a great post! I am thinking about selling my home and am currently just starting to look for a great real estate agent.

• Reply uprunforlife Feb 14, 2017 at 11:27 am

We just sold our home and it was a pain in the arse. I am thankful that we had a good agent but we got screwed on the appraisal on our home.

• Reply Shannon Gurnee Feb 14, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Finding a good real estate agent is really important! I’ll definitely keep this in mind when we look to buy a home in the future.

• Reply Kathy Feb 14, 2017 at 12:56 pm

It’s so important to find a good real estate agent. I’m going to make sure to keep this in mind for the next time I’ll need one. My husband and I were not to thrilled with the one we ended up working with.

• Reply Kendall Rayburn Feb 14, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Such a great and informative post! Looking for a realtor can be so hard, and finding someone who is a perfect fit can be difficult as well!

• Reply OurFamilyWorld Feb 14, 2017 at 11:32 pm

It’s so important to know your real estate agent well before doing business with him. I will bookmark this post for future reference.

• Reply creativekkids Feb 15, 2017 at 5:10 am

I didn’t know about this website! We may be selling a home in a year or so, and I’ll go here to look. We weren’t extremely happy with our last agent either.

• Reply Kelly Hutchinson Feb 15, 2017 at 10:51 am

Finding the right real estate agent is crucial. My daughter is buying her first home and her dad is her real estate agent. He totally has her best interest at heart. I wish ALL agents were like that.

• Reply Rebecca Swenor Feb 16, 2017 at 2:04 am

It sounds like the first guy was only interested in his sell of the house. UpNest would be the place to go if you are purchasing a home for sure. The second agent sounds like she does her research and does her job very well.. I love how she made sure you had the opinions open to you. Thanks for sharing the information and your experiences.

• Reply Lynndee Feb 16, 2017 at 5:22 am

We’ve never sold a house before, but we may do it in a few years’ time. So thank you for sharing about UpNest.

• Reply The Cubicle Chick Feb 17, 2017 at 9:45 am

Luckily, one of my good friends is a real estate agent but this sounds like a great tool for house hunters. – yolonda

• Reply Deborah Cruz Feb 17, 2017 at 10:29 am

It is so important to find the right agent. It makes all the difference in the experience.