Homemade Sweet Potato Chips

Sweet Potato Chips

Here’s a simple recipe for homemade Sweet Potato Chips. Even some of the healthier chips that you can buy in the stores often still have too much salt and too many bad ingredients. These chips are a snap to make and have very few things going in them. Sweet Potatoes are very healthy and by using paprika in place of salt gives it a lot of extra taste and helps keep sodium levels down. I made a few batches of these, the first time around I didn’t cook them long enough to be crispy, but they were still cooked and quite delicious. Just make sure you don’t overcook them and they should be tasty. If you haven’t used Red Palm Oil before I recommend that you add it to your oil repertoire. That coconut oil and of course extra virgin olive oil are household staples for us and each gives a different taste to the dishes they’re made with. It’s really your call if you want to add a dash of brown sugar, or a tad of salt. For me the taste of the sweet potatoes, red palm oil and paprika is more than enough, but others may need that extra saltiness or sweetness. Even with those added this is so much healthier than the chips you’d find at the grocery store.

Football season is around the corner, see how fast the gang devours a bowl of these chips. Trust me, you’ll want to have a second or third batch ready to pop in the oven because they’ll come asking for it!

You can purchase Unrefined Red Palm Oil from NUTIVA. It has a mild carrot-like flavor, with a rich, buttery texture and Organic.

Homemade Sweet Potato Chips
Author: Posh Journal
Ingredients
  • 1 Medium Sweet Potato
  • 2 Tablespoon of Red Palm Oil or Olive Oil I used Red Palm Oil from NUTIVA
  • 1/2 Teaspoon of Smoked Paprika
  • 1/4 Salt
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Brown Sugar
Instructions
  1. Preheat your oven at 375 F
  2. Wash and slice Sweet Potato into very thin rounds. Coat the slices with smoked paprika, Salt, Brown Sugar and Oil.
  3. Place the slices on a baking sheet and bake until lightly browned and crisp, about 10 - 15 minutes.

• Reply Paula | Lifestyle & Laffs Aug 11, 2015 at 1:46 pm

This looks and sounds amazing!

Paula | Lifestyle & Laffs

• Reply poshjournaladmin Aug 11, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Thanks Paula… hope you’ll get a chance to try the recipe!

• Reply Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle Aug 11, 2015 at 4:28 pm

I make sweet potato chips all the time. They’re much healthier than regular chips, and they are flat out delicious.

• Reply Robin Rue (@massholemommy) Aug 11, 2015 at 5:29 pm

I have never had sweet potato chips before. Wow, those sounds super yummy! I need to make them!

• Reply Megan Elford Aug 11, 2015 at 5:58 pm

I want to try these asap. They look so good, and the recipe is easy too! Can’t wait!

• Reply Jeanette Aug 11, 2015 at 8:45 pm

I LOVE Sweet potato fries so I am ALL over these! This looks SO good!

• Reply 1heart1family Aug 11, 2015 at 10:37 pm

This sounds delicious! I have never made sweet potato fries!! These look delicious!

• Reply NPC Aug 12, 2015 at 12:11 am

OH YUM. These look absolutely amazing. Bookmarked to make for the kids’ school snacks!

• Reply Alli Aug 12, 2015 at 1:57 am

I’ve made baked potato chips but never sweet potato chips. I don’t like all the extra sodium and stuff in the store bought kind. This is a great excuse to use my mandolin slicer.

• Reply Liz Mays Aug 12, 2015 at 2:44 am

These sound really good. I love making my own chips. It would be fun to make these to go with a meal.

• Reply Felicita Moncada Aug 12, 2015 at 3:44 am

I love the idea of making my own chips… how cool is that. I think my kids would get a kick out of that! Thanks for sharing

• Reply Joanne T Ferguson Aug 12, 2015 at 9:04 am

I love the idea of making my own chips from scratch! I could really go for some of yours right now! Great photo!

• Reply April @ Everyday Fitness and Nutrition Aug 12, 2015 at 9:52 am

I love all things sweet potato and chips make them perfect to snack on. You can always switch up the seasonings to have something different too.

• Reply michele d Aug 12, 2015 at 12:27 pm

My family loves homemade chips. Would love to try your recipe out someday. Bookmarked it!

• Reply ARod Aug 12, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Looks like such a yummy treat. Thanks so much for sharing the how to.

• Reply Mykidsguide Aug 12, 2015 at 3:20 pm

I always buy sweet potatoes because my family loves them. I haven’t tried adding paprika, though. I’ve got to try it.

• Reply Annemarie LeBlanc Aug 12, 2015 at 6:03 pm

When I make sweet potato fries, I cut and cook them like french fries, then sprinkle a little bit of powdered milk and confectioner’s sugar when they’re done. Yummy!

• Reply The Trophy WifeStyle Aug 12, 2015 at 6:44 pm

I make homemade chips for my daughter all the time! They are so much better than store bought! And way healthier since you know what you’re making and what’s in them 😉

• Reply Chubskulit Rose Aug 12, 2015 at 8:12 pm

I love sweet potato but I have never tried making chips out of it. Looks delicious and I would love to try i-t.

• Reply Dina Aug 12, 2015 at 8:17 pm

those look so good. I’d love to try them myself this weekend!

• Reply Ann Bacciaglia Aug 12, 2015 at 8:32 pm

I love Sweet Potatoes. I will have to try this tonight. It looks so delicious.

• Reply Michelle Varga (@dustbunniesblog) Aug 13, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Making homemade potato chips sounds like a great idea! These would definitely be healthier than the store-bought kind.