Keep your Home Safe and Sound with Canary Indoor Wireless High-Definition All-In-One Home Security System

Connected Home Canary Security System 2015

My Home is getting Smarter thanks to Best Buy! Canary Indoor Wireless High-Definition All-In-One Home Security and Netgear® Nighthawk™ DST Router and DST Adapter

Having your home broken into is even worse than it sounds.  It’s terrible to have your belongings stolen from you, such as the electronics that you saved up for and put hard-earned money into.  Even worse are pieces of jewelry or other family items that have sentimental value and can be impossible to replace.  My best friend’s house was burglarized last year and among many other things they got away with a necklace and a broach that had been passed down from mothers to daughters in her family for four generations.  She checked pawnshops and online posts for months hoping those items would somehow turn up but they never did.  For many people including my friend the worst part about the break-in wasn’t the loss of physical items.  It was the uneasy, vulnerable feeling that she had afterwards.  This was her home, where she went home each night to relax and not have a care in the world.  It was supposed place where she could play with her young kids and just be worry-free.  She said that after the event she felt most uncomfortable at night, and had her whole family sleep in the same room for months.

Canary Indoor Wireless High-Definition All-In-One Home Security System

My friend was obviously kicking herself for not getting a security system earlier.  Hindsight is 20/20, right?  Well she picked one up and it immediately made a difference in giving her peace of mind.  It’s pretty high tech too, and had cool features that weren’t around even a few years back.  With smart technology and the advancements in mobile devices the world is changing all around us and security is right in line with the advancements.  I’m happy today to be able to share with you what I think is one that is a game-changer in home security systems: the Canary Indoor Wireless High-Definition All-In-One Home Security device.

Connected Home Canary Security System 2015

The first thing I noticed when opening the box is that this is far less cumbersome than most of the systems I’ve seen out there.  There’s no way that I could set up most devices out there as I’m not an electrical engineer.  The Canary was as easy as these few simple steps:

1). Place the Canary in a central location.  For us, that’s the living room area is it is our Grand Central Station that connects all of the rooms.

2). Plug-in the device (super easy).

3). Connect the Canary to your Wi-Fi (again, super easy)

Easy-peasy.  There weren’t a ton of wires, we were easily able to conceal the couple it has.  I like the sleek design and colors, it looks sharp on our shelf next to some art.  The Canary has infrared for nighttime and has a wide-spanning view.  It also has a 90+ dB siren, loud enough to scare burglars away and alert my neighbors.

Connected Home Canary Security System 2015

Going back to my comments on smart technology, the best part of Canary is that you can stream live video of your home on your smartphone (iPhone® or Android).  That means I can check in on the pets or when someone is working on something in the house.  I can also use this for my kids to check in on them or make sure they’re doing their homework in the afternoon.  If I expect people in the home I’ll set the Canary to WatchLive, if not I’ll set it to Arm and get notified if someone enters the home (and then stream or sound the alarm).  More along the lines of ‘smart’, the Canary even has a HomeHealth feature to monitor the temperature and air quality of the home (and give you the power to check on it anywhere).

There’s more good information on the Canary Indoor Wireless High-Definition All-In-One Home Security

Netgear® Nighthawk™ DST Router and DST Adapter

The Canary paired well with another hot item, the Netgear® Nighthawk™ DST Router and DST Adapter(exclusive to Best Buy).  This router gives a much needed solution to the growing number of connected devices in our homes (the average for the US is 7 connected devices, we are just north of that level in our home with laptops tables and phones and now our Canary system.  As a blogger I have seen a strain on my router over the last year.  I initially made the assumption that it was always our service provider’s fault, but then had to do a reality check that my router was outdated and not up to our needs.  Our slow Wi-Fi was bad but others experience dropped calls or dead zones in their house from a sub-par router.  The  “DST” in this router/adapter combo stands for Dead Spot Terminator, and you can place the adapter in one of those trouble areas (and purchase more as needed).  The router was designed to support 10+ connected devices, and you can even prioritize those that need it most (for me my work laptop, but for others it may be the device they stream music or movies on).

The Netgear® Nighthawk™ DST Router and DST Adapter is far easier to setup than the competition as you get Geek Squad Set Up and Support during the install and for any support 24/7 for a full year.  That is HUGE for me!  I’ve actually returned a router before because the installation was so confusing that I gave up after a few hours.  I went through the steps on this one and it was easier, and having the experts from Geek Squad on the line was very reassuring.  I don’t mind dabbling in some things but in others I just want to get coached through it and setting up a router is one of those things.

Since setting up the router my devices have all been performing very fast and I have noticed an increase in download times on my Mac.  I honestly thought I may need a faster processor, I always still sometimes seem to forget about the router being the culprit.  I would like to check back in after 6 months and give an update on how the router is working and let you know if I’ve had any downtimes or other issues, but it seems like this router was designed to tackle just that and it doesn’t hurt that it’s from Netgear®, the best brand in that space for years and years.

Disclaimer : The reviewer has been compensated in the form of a Best Buy Gift Card and/or received the product/service at a reduced price or for free

• Reply julianarw (@julianarw) Oct 18, 2015 at 6:24 am

Looks great technology with everything set up via your phone. Lucky you to have this.

• Reply YellowTennessee Oct 18, 2015 at 7:09 pm

I think this is the third post I have read about this. I love everything about it but especially that it alerts you to sounds when you are not home.

• Reply Amanda || Growing Up Madison Oct 18, 2015 at 7:58 pm

This seems like something I might need in my home on the days when I’m not around. We travel a lot and it’s always great to have security in your home. We have ADT but a back up won’t hurt.

• Reply bohemianbabushka Oct 18, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Peace of Mind is Priceless. How wonderful you now have a security system and the router that’ll help your technology work harder and faster. We’re living in a great age aren’t we? BB2U

• Reply Rosey Oct 18, 2015 at 8:51 pm

I think the mental state you’d be left in after a breakin would be awful. I hope it never ever happens to me.

• Reply Fashionable Librarian Oct 18, 2015 at 8:56 pm

I am shopping for a system so I will look into this. How do you contact the local police in case of an emergency? I have not read the whole thing as yet but that is the first thing that came to my mind

• Reply Shann Eva Oct 18, 2015 at 9:34 pm

We’ve had a lot of break-ins around here, so I’m definitely going to look into this. I like that it works with your smartphone .

• Reply maxandmylesstyle Oct 18, 2015 at 9:59 pm

This is a great system. It is so important to feel safe in ones own home and I think this would do the trick. I love that you can sync it with your phone.

• Reply Alli Rutherford Smith Oct 18, 2015 at 10:11 pm

My friend’s house has been broken into many times. She finally moved. Too bad she didn’t have the Canary Security System. Sounds wonderful!

• Reply Valerie Gray (@valmg) Oct 18, 2015 at 10:59 pm

I like the fact that this has an alarm you can sound even if you aren’t there. Does it record to either a hard drive or the cloud?

• Reply danavento Oct 19, 2015 at 12:41 am

we have used items similar, but yours has more features, cool tech! I want to look into this one now

• Reply Debbie Denny Oct 19, 2015 at 1:25 am

Great way to have some security. I like how you can connect to wifi.

• Reply Jaime Nicole Oct 19, 2015 at 1:46 am

Wow, I love how sleek and smooth it looks – it doesn’t even look like a security system! I will definitely have to check this out!

• Reply Claudette Esterine Oct 19, 2015 at 2:21 am

This looks like a really good system. Will look into it. Thanks for the info! 🙂

• Reply Eileen xo Oct 19, 2015 at 2:35 am

What a great system – I really like how it isn’t too big yet does the job- thank you for sharing

• Reply Wood Arts Universe Oct 19, 2015 at 3:39 am

That looks pretty neat.. sounds like a great app that monitors humidity level too ..

• Reply Ourfamilyworld Oct 19, 2015 at 9:15 am

I’ve been seeing posts about this and I think this is really great. We need to upgrade our home security system, so I will check this out.

• Reply Nicole Haas Etolen Oct 19, 2015 at 11:24 am

I love it now! I’ve seen this in a post and love all your review about this. I’m gonna try it.

• Reply coolchillmom Oct 19, 2015 at 12:08 pm

I can’t stop raving about my Canary System along with NetGear Nighthawk! The total feeling of security that it gives me is priceless

• Reply Melissa Oct 19, 2015 at 2:20 pm

This is fantastic! What a great Christmas gift idea for everyone on the list that has everything else!

• Reply Melissa Oct 19, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Wow! This is awesome! I had no idea that you could have a wireless high definition home security system!! This is a great alternative to the expensive options that include wiring. My sister lives in an older home and she wants a system but because of the home it would be outrageous! This is a great alternative for her! Thanks!

• Reply Mary Edwards Oct 19, 2015 at 3:24 pm

With 4 kids, home security is so important to us. We’ve been looking for an alternative to the traditional security options and I think this is the winner!

• Reply dee Oct 19, 2015 at 3:32 pm

A friend of mine had her personal space broken into awhile ago, so I understand the importance of having a great home security. What I love about this is that it is wireless and you can basically have it in a location that no one would pay attention to. Affordable home security is the name of the game and I will have to make sure I point this device out to her.

• Reply Jennifer Oct 19, 2015 at 4:43 pm

We have the Canary and absolutely love it! It’s been great to see the house while I’m away and has made me more comfortable when leaving my daughter home alone. It’s so great for any home and fits into any decor. I couldn’t even see yours on the shelf when I first looked lol

• Reply Urvi Oct 19, 2015 at 5:11 pm

I saw these product in Best Buy… Seems nice security system

• Reply Shannon P Oct 19, 2015 at 6:00 pm

I could DEFINITELY use this! As a mom, it would help keep my mind at ease if I ever had to leave my son with a babysitter!

• Reply Alicia Snow Oct 19, 2015 at 6:04 pm

This is awesome! My husband is super diligent about double checking the doors to make sure they’re locked, but with this, he wouldn’t have to worry as much. I love that you can use your smartphone with it. It makes it so convenient.

• Reply Elizabeth O. Oct 19, 2015 at 6:14 pm

I’m really liking this camera. And it’s so easy to control since there’s an app for it.

• Reply CourtneyLynne Oct 19, 2015 at 10:44 pm

This security system sounds fantastic!!! You can never be too safe!

• Reply May Oct 20, 2015 at 2:14 am

The canary security system is awesome! I definitely need something like this!

• Reply Jenny Oct 20, 2015 at 3:57 am

This sounds like an amazing security system! With how much we travel we have worried about leaving our home for a long period of time. Love that you can see it on your smart phone!

• Reply Sarah Oct 20, 2015 at 7:58 am

My home was recently broken in to, not once but twice! It’s very true, the worst part is the vilberable feeling afterwards. This looks like a cool gadget, maybe I’ll check it out.

• Reply Susannah Oct 20, 2015 at 3:59 pm

What a cool security system!!! I’ve never had my house broken into but it’s better to be safe than sorry, right? 🙂

• Reply Liz Mays Oct 20, 2015 at 5:48 pm

I love all the advances technology is bringing us. It’s so easy to operate this one too. What a brilliant system!

• Reply The Wardrobe Stylist Oct 21, 2015 at 1:38 am

Never really used any of these but we probably should given the fact the kids are so loud we can never hear the TV

• Reply Krystal's Kitsch Oct 21, 2015 at 3:53 am

It looks simple to set up and is a handy gadget to have for safety. I need to give it a try and see how to set it up!

• Reply Yona Williams Oct 21, 2015 at 5:11 am

It is such a vulnerable feeling that follows after you’ve been violated with a break-in. I cannot imagine having something stolen from me that was passed down from generations.

• Reply Kelly Hutchinson Oct 21, 2015 at 7:43 pm

This brand is new to me. It sounds like something I can really use in my home. We are in a not so great part of town, so break ins worry me.

• Reply Susan Quackenbush Oct 21, 2015 at 7:59 pm

My husband has actaully been talking about needing to get a new network router and that NetGear Nighthawk looks perfect for him! I’ll have him read this and give it some thought! Thank you for sharing this post on home security and safety! 🙂

• Reply Winter White Oct 21, 2015 at 8:10 pm

I’m currently on the market to buy a new home so this comes right on time for me. I am definitely going to look into this!

• Reply kleebanks Oct 22, 2015 at 2:26 am

We have never had a problem here with two dogs who bark at any noise they hear – but still sounds like a good idea!

• Reply Ayesha Heart Oct 23, 2015 at 6:10 pm

This is awesome! Been reading a few feedback about this. Very nice idea 🙂

• Reply Ayesha Heart Oct 23, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Looking fora very nice and a good home security system. So perfect you posted this 🙂
    Thanks !

• Reply dawn Oct 24, 2015 at 1:22 pm

this is so cool. its something the things you can do with technology. very innovative concept.

• Reply ohnikkiitsy0u Nov 2, 2015 at 1:48 am

Ok, love this. I’m a single mom and safety for me and my infant is so incredibly important. Having an all in one home alarm and security system is the only way I have comfort and peace of mind.

• Reply mumwrites (@vixquips) Nov 4, 2015 at 7:23 pm

i have read a lot of good stuiff about this product. it is high time every household install something like this for additional safety and security