Radiant Beet and Lettuce Salad with Yogurt Dressing
Beets have so much flavor and color that when they’re the centerpiece of a salad the rest can be quite simple and carry through just fine. That’s how I feel about this simple beet salad, it’s mostly just beets and lettuce and can be whipped up in a minute or two, but I find myself craving the taste of this exact salad every now and then. The beets and lettuce have a nice contrast of texture with one being smooth and the other rough and crunchy. I recommend cutting them up smaller as shown in my picture. As far as the dressing, I have kept it simple and healthy too. It saddens me that people eat salad to lose weight or get healthier and pour on dressings that undermine their efforts and negate the health benefits of all vegetables they just ate. Part of it is that they may not know just how bad those dressings are. Another factor is that also may not know how fast and easy (and fun!) it would be for them to whip up their own healthy dressing. This one has Greek yogurt, lemon and a touch of this and a dash of that.. voila, done. Enjoy and let me know your thoughts.
As a kid I hated beets! It’s funny how a reaction or association from age 5 (or even younger) can carry with us for years and years. Even through my twenties I would skip the beets at a salad bar and never even consider ordering them in a dish at a restaurant. About five years ago a friend of mine ordered a smoothie with beets and I had to try it just because of the radiant color. It was wonderful. I tried making a few different dishes with beets and yes, they were wonderful too. It made me think back to the 20+ years that I had passed on this vegetable and how it could have been my buddy all of those years… such regret! Well now is my time to make up for it, so expect to see a number of dishes where beets are the star of the dish or in the supporting cast. Word to the wise, if you hated something as a kid I recommend you try them every now and then just to make sure you still feel the same way. Brussel sprouts are another one that I changed my tune on and wish it had been years ago!
- 2 Beets
- 2 cups of Lettuce
- Yogurt Dressing :
- 2 Tablespoon of Greek Yogurt
- 3 Tablespoon of Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Hemp Oil
- ½ Teaspoon of Fresh Lemon Juice
- ½ Teaspoon of Honey or Agave Nectar
- ⅛ Teaspoon of Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash Beets. Remove the top and the root of the beets.
- Peel the skin. Place the beets on a baking sheet or wrap in aluminum foil
- Roast for about 15 minutes
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all yogurt dressing ingredients except oil. Drizzle oil in slowly until fully combined. Feel free to add a little more honey/agave nectar and salt, according to your taste buds
- Remove the beets from the oven and cut small or slice
- Mix beets and lettuce in a salad bowl and Immediately toss with salad dressing
- Serve and Enjoy