Rice Stick Noodle with Chinese Broccoli (Pad See Ew)

Pad See Ew

Rice Stick Noodle with Chinese Broccoli (Pad See Ew)

You can find rice stick noodle dishes at almost any asian restaurant. You probably saw this dish at Thai restaurants under a different name of Pad See Ew, and a similar dish  at Chinese restaurants listed as stir fried flat noodle or Chow Fun.  At an Indonesian restaurant it would also be very close, and be listed as Kwetiau. Depending on where you go, some of them may use Oyster Sauce, Sweet Soy Sauce and add different kinds of vegetables all making this dish look and taste different.

Below is my easy flat rice noodle recipe. This is actually one of my favorite asian foods. This recipe uses simple ingredients and is very affordable.

People will mix in many different types of meats and vegetables and I’ve made many variations myself.  I like having a vegetable with a little bit of crunch to it, just my opinion.  The most important key to this dish however is finding the right noodles and being careful not to overcook them.

Pad See Ew
Rice Stick Noodle with Chinese Broccoli
Course: Dinner, Lunch, Noodle
Cuisine: Asian
Author: Posh Journal
Ingredients
  • 1/2 pack of Big Flat Rice stick noodles
  • 3 cups of Chinese Broccoli
  • 3 whole eggs
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 cup of thin sliced chicken or beef or seafood
  • or for vegetarian: use firm tofu
  • 2 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
  • Sauce
  • 2 Tablespoon of Dark Soy Sauce
  • 2 Tablespoon of Light Soy Sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon Sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon of Rice Vinegar additional
Instructions
  1. If you purchase uncooked rice noodles, prepare them according to packet instructions. You may want to soak the noodles with cold water for about 30 minutes, then in boiling water for another 5 minutes. Make sure not to overcook the noodles! Drain the noodles until dry and put aside
  2. Heat a wok to high heat and then add 2 tablespoons of oil. Add garlic and your choice of meats / tofu. Cook throughly until the meat turns color to light brown then move the chicken to one side of wok. Put eggs in and scramble. Add noodles then add your vegetable. Stir with the sauce (dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, rice vinegar and sugar). Cook gently for the sauce to cover the noodle and start to caramelize
  3. Serve and Enjoy . I usually add my favorite chili sauce , like sambal 🙂

Kita Bryant
    Aug 15, 2015 at 7:28 pm

This looks so good and healthy too. I love that this is easy to make but in my hometown probably not so easy to find. I would have to go to a farmers market or something to purchase the ingredients

rochkirstin
    Aug 16, 2015 at 1:52 am

Chinese and Thai cuisine really share some of the ingredients but I think they can be set apart with the spice they use. The oyster sauce is apparently more Chinese however this is frequently seen as well with recipes of Asian food. The rice stick noodle is a comfort food for me.

Ourfamilyworld
    Aug 16, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Yummy looking noodles! I love it when a lot of veggies are added to noodles and I also love my vegetable with a little bit of crunch to it. I am bookmarking this recipe to try later. Thanks for sharing.

sacki20
    Aug 16, 2015 at 7:43 pm

I lie trying new things, call me blind ive heard of pad see ew but never tried it. I love that this meal is healthy and just right for my diet. saving this to mae for later thank you

Joanne T Ferguson
    Aug 17, 2015 at 3:16 am

This dish looks really healthy and delicious! I love the freshness and combination of the ingredients! What a great photo that inspires too!

Tammileetips
    Aug 17, 2015 at 3:24 am

I love to make Chinese food at home! It always taste so much better and fresher then take out! This sounds like an amazing recipe to whip up at home for a home date night.

Boho Chic (@TotallyTerris)
    Aug 17, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Um yummy. I have never made Chinese food before because I’ve always been intimidated by it but your recipe looks easy and sounds amazing. I’ll have to try this in the future and see how everyone likes it. I know I will love it.

Yona Williams
    Aug 18, 2015 at 1:33 am

I am really lovin’ all of the different ingredients used to make this dish, and the photo is incredibly appetizing. I have never tried to make Asian noodles at home before. However, this recipe has inspired me to take a look at what our local grocery store has.

Stephanie Pass
    Aug 18, 2015 at 6:54 am

We have a local Asian restaurant in the middle of the cool college area here. My husband and I had one of our first dates there, and I love ordering Pad See Ew there. They make it absolutely delicious. It’s my absolute favorite.

Dawn McAlexander
    Aug 27, 2015 at 9:53 pm

This sounds extremely tasty! I have never tried Chinese broccoli before! It all looks nice.

Cia
    Aug 27, 2015 at 10:09 pm

Okay I think I have found the perfect dish for my Sir’s lunch. He is really big on clean eating and I think this dish touches exactly what he wants.

lisa
    Aug 27, 2015 at 10:21 pm

This dish looks amazing. I would love to try this. My mouth is watering just looking at the pictures.

Jennifer Van Huss
    Aug 28, 2015 at 1:41 am

This looks delicious! Forget take out! I want to make this at home!

katehardin
    Aug 28, 2015 at 2:22 am

I love Chinese but never make it. Now I can try to make your recipe. It looks so good and healthy too.

Rebecca Swenor
    Aug 28, 2015 at 6:28 am

We love Chinese food in my house. I actually have never made a dish with the stick noodles before so I will have to try this one. Thanks for sharing.

Annemarie LeBlanc
    Aug 28, 2015 at 12:23 pm

I didn’t know it was this easy to make a chinese noodle dish! The ingredients are not hard to find and I love that it has tofu in it.

Mykidsguide
    Aug 28, 2015 at 2:16 pm

We love Chinese food. This looks easy to do. I can’t wait to try this.

Melissa
    Aug 28, 2015 at 4:04 pm

wow this looks fantastic! I love chinese food but since moving to Iowa I haven’t found a go to spot yet. We will be trying this at my home!

Chubskulit Rose
    Aug 28, 2015 at 4:10 pm

U always feel hungry when I visit your blog hehehe. This looks like another yummy treat for my tummy.

Jeanine
    Aug 28, 2015 at 5:14 pm

Oh this looks amazing. This is more my husbands type of thing more than mine, but even I think this looks amazing. I’m so hungry now.

Dina
    Aug 28, 2015 at 6:00 pm

I was thinking about going out for chinese tonight. I think I’ll make this instead! YUM.

Uplifting Families
    Aug 29, 2015 at 5:06 am

This looks so good. I don’t eat Chinese dishes very often. I want some Chinese food now. 🙂

Tami
    Aug 29, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Oh, overcooked noodles are disgusting. Hubby tends to do that, so I’ll be preparing this yummy looking dish for the family.

Ricci
    Aug 29, 2015 at 3:37 pm

This looks amazing!! I love Chinese food and love getting new recipes!!