Shrimp Tofu Pad Thai Noodles

pad-thai

One of my favorite Asian dishes is pad Thai noodles, a dish that is delicious with or without meat.  I always customize my pad Thai recipe using chicken, pork, beef, tofu or combine some or all of these. My husband used to order his favorite take-out Pad Thai from a local restaurant, but the restaurant became so popular that they decided to significantly raise their prices from $6.99 to $11.99. We are able to make it at home for a fraction of the price, and curtail it to our liking by reducing some of the sweetness and increasing the portions of meat and veggies (here in the US restaurants often give 80% noodles and 20% everything else, whereas we prefer much more meat, egg, tofu and veggies).

pad-thai

I grew up in a family that absolutely loves noodles!  My mom and I used to go to the local farmers market in the morning and share a bowl of noodle soup for breakfast. I can eat noodles every day and usually enjoy them in one of three ways: noodle soup, fried or as dried noodles with sauce and soup on the side. Noodles are still a must in my life almost every day, be it at home or  dining out. Like many other of the best recipes from around the world, Pad Thai noodles started out as a street food.  It’s delicious often a go-to choice with chunks of egg, wider noodles and the sweeter sauce.  My friends who doesn’t like Asian food even likes pad Thai noodles!

Today, I am going to share my favorite shrimp and tofu pad Thai recipe. The recipe contains a tiny portion of Thai fish sauce and Tamarind paste so you may want to grab those bottles if they’re not in your cupboard.

Shrimp Tofu Pad Thai Noodles
  • 1 pieces package firm tofu pressed and cut into
  • ½ cuprefined coconut oil or peanut oil I used Nutiva
  • 3 cloves fresh garlic
  • 1 teaspoon minced ginger
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon sliced red onion or shallot
  • cup chopped salted peanuts
  • 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • 3 scallions thinly sliced
  • 1 lime cut into wedges
  • 2 cups mung bean sprouts washed and drained
Instructions
  1. Soak the rice noodles in a bowl and cover with cold water. Let it sit for an hour. You can also soak the noodles in warm water and let it sit for 20 minutes OR follow the instructions according to the product packaging. Drain the noodles and set aside.
  2. Remove the heads and shells from shrimp. Wash and set aside.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together the fish sauce, tamarind paste, sugar, lime juice and 1/4 cup of water. Set aside
  4. Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a wok over medium high heat and sear the firm tofu on both sides until slightly brown. Set aside.
  5. Heat the oil in a wok over high heat until smoking. Add the garlic and ginger, sauté for 30 seconds.
  6. Toss the shrimp and cook for about 30 seconds.
  7. Add 1/2 part of rice noodles to the wok, stir fry for about 10 seconds and move the noodle to one side of pan.
  8. Crack in the egg into the other part of pan and scramble the egg for a few seconds until cooked then add the remaining noodles into the wok.
  9. Quickly stir the noodle and egg, then pour in the reserved sauce. Continue stirring for a few seconds until it’s mixed well.
  10. Add onions/shallots or vegetable of choice, stir to combine for about 1 minute.
  11. Remove from the heat and place the noodles onto a serving plate.
  12. Garnish with chopped peanuts, fresh cilantro, scallions, fresh lime wedges and fresh sprouts.
  13. You can mix the contents together and serve, or keep in separate bowls and let people pick and choose how much of each thing they’d like to eat. Some people in my family don’t care for sprouts while others love them, so we at least keep those separate each time. Same goes for lime, most of us love to squeeze a lime over the top of our dish but I think it’s best to leave that as an option for each person to do on their own.

shrimp-tofu-pad-thai-noodles-recipe. Easy pad thai recipe using rice noodle, tamarind paste, fish sauce, tofu, shrimp. Quick recipe under 30 minutes and affordable

• Reply Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle Jun 20, 2016 at 12:01 pm

The recipe alone is enough to make me hungry, but those pictures you took are making me absolutely ravenous. I cannot wait to give this a try.

• Reply lisa Jun 20, 2016 at 2:13 pm

This looks so good. I love trying new foods and this recipe looks fantastic!

• Reply Jeannette Jun 20, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Wow – this looks amazing! Pad Thai is one of my favorite dishes ever and I eat it all the time with Shrimp – I’ve never tried adding tofu but I’ll be giving this combination a try very soon!

• Reply William Sweeney Jun 20, 2016 at 3:01 pm

This looks so good!! I love Thai food, I need to get better about trying to make it at home more often.

• Reply Maggie branch Jun 20, 2016 at 6:08 pm

I definitely agree that homemade is the way to go with pad Thai! Your recipe looks awesome and I look forward to trying it out on my family!

• Reply Jamie Jun 20, 2016 at 7:01 pm

This looks delicious! I haven’t found a good place to have Pad Thai since moving. I could definitely make this.

• Reply Kristy Jun 20, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Thai cuisine has quickly became one of my favorites! I’m excited to try your pad thai recipe!

• Reply Rebecca Swenor Jun 21, 2016 at 2:00 am

This sounds like something my family would love to try. I have to admit I have never tried Tofu before but I know my family has and they love shrimp too. This would indeed be a great meal for them. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

• Reply Kathy Jun 21, 2016 at 6:38 am

This looks really good! I haven’t really had shrimp and neither have my girls. I need to try it because this recipe looks amazing.

• Reply Amber Killmon Jun 21, 2016 at 7:35 am

I have never been a fan of tofu, but this dish is making my mouth water. I can see this on the table in the near future.

• Reply Kristine Foley (@thefoleyfam) Jun 21, 2016 at 9:34 am

Our family loves noodles too and this looks like it would be a huge hit for us! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

• Reply Michelle Waller Jun 21, 2016 at 11:28 am

I have never tried tofu, but I would give it a try. I love anything that has shrimp in it.

• Reply The Trophy WifeStyle Jun 21, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Omg can we say yum?!?! I just love Asian inspired dishes! Must give your recipe a try!

• Reply Run For Life (@uprun4life) Jun 21, 2016 at 2:02 pm

This sounds delicious. I love Chinese food but it isn’t exactly healthy. I might have to try this recipe.

• Reply Claudia K. Jun 22, 2016 at 10:07 am

I love Thai food, I need to get better about trying to make it at home, I’ve only tried it once!

• Reply Shanéy Vijendranath Jun 22, 2016 at 1:08 pm

I love my asian dishes and must indulge in some every week. This looks delicious! You making me drool here.

• Reply Krystal @ Sunny Sweet Days Jun 22, 2016 at 3:45 pm

My husband LOVES pad thai. I need to try to add this to our weekly meal plan.

• Reply Lynndee Jun 23, 2016 at 5:47 am

I love pad thai, but never tried preparing it here at home. Both the hubs and I just go to our fave Thai restaurant if we want one. Thanks for the recipe! Yum!

• Reply Marielle Altenor Jun 25, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Pad Thai is one of our favorite meal at home. We’ve never tried it with tofu before though. Next time we have it we are going to try it with tofu!