Steamed Clams with White Wine

Steamed Clams with White Wine

This recipe is dedicated to my son and daughter.  They love  seafoods so much, and they really enjoyed this dish of steamed clam with chilies. I purchased 4 lbs of clams from my local Costco for $17. They are wild caught, product of New Zealand.

When it comes to seafood, I try to keep it simple and hold back from adding too many ingredients or type sauces. Less is more and I want the clams to be the star of the show, not the sauce.

A few notes: Don’t forget to discard any clams that do not open because it proves that they were dead before you cook them… they likely aren’t fresh anymore. I used vegetable butter for this recipe, (it tastes good but the main reason I did this is that it’s the only thing similar to butter that I have in my fridge). I didn’t add any salt to this recipe, I think that it is salty enough on its own.

Steamed Clams with White Wine
Author: Posh Journal
Ingredients
  • 4 Lbs of Clams
  • 1 cup of white wine
  • 1 cup of water or clam juice
  • 2 tablespoon of unsalted butter
  • 4 Cloves of Garlic minced
  • 1 cup of chopped yellow onion
  • Black Pepper
  • 2 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
  • Red Flakes Pepper
Instructions
  1. Heat the oil in a large pot. Then add garlic and onion, sauté quickly for about 1 minute
  2. Pour in the white wine, water/broth or clam juice. Bring to boil
  3. Add clams, cover with a lid and cook until all the clams open.
  4. Add butter and black pepper
  5. Discard any clams that do not open, garnish with chopped parsley, red flakes pepper

• Reply Alli Jul 31, 2015 at 10:05 am

I think steamed clams are such a pretty entree! And I just realized that I’ve never made them at home. I’m going to pin this recipe and make them ASAP. Thanks.

• Reply Robin Rue (@massholemommy) Jul 31, 2015 at 10:06 am

That sounds absolutely delicious. I can’t wait to make this for my hubby – he will love it.

• Reply Stefany Jul 31, 2015 at 11:24 am

I have never had clams. I know my husband has and liked them so I need to make this for him I think!

• Reply Michele Jul 31, 2015 at 11:33 am

I have never attempted to cook clams at home although I do love them. I also love mussels! You are very correct-if a clam or mussel does not open-dump it and quickly! This simple recipe sounds like I could pull it together–thank you!

• Reply Megan Elford Jul 31, 2015 at 11:36 am

I’ve actually never had clams, but this looks like a great way to prepare them! I’ll have to give them a try soon 🙂

• Reply Penny Struebig Jul 31, 2015 at 11:55 am

I’ve never cooked clams before. This makes it sound so easy! I’ll have to give it a try.

• Reply Claudette Esterine Jul 31, 2015 at 2:57 pm

I must admit that clams aren’t on my list of must haves. These look tasty though. 🙂

• Reply jmanandmillerbug Jul 31, 2015 at 5:55 pm

My husband loves clams and has been begging me to make them but I had no idea how. This looks like a recipe he would enjoy so I’ll have to give it a try!

• Reply Mary La Fornara (@itsaboutpretty) Jul 31, 2015 at 6:29 pm

I always order steamed clams, but have never thought of making them at home. Your recipe looks so easy I think I’m going to give it a try!

• Reply Heather Jul 31, 2015 at 7:28 pm

I’ve never just had a bowl of clams before, but I like clams cooked in with other things, like clam chowder.

• Reply Melodi Steinberg Jul 31, 2015 at 7:29 pm

holy yum! I love clams!!! Just started enjoying them in my 30’s.

• Reply Kiwi Jul 31, 2015 at 7:30 pm

I love your photo compositions by the way! I never thought to eat clams but your preservation makes me want to try it sooner than later!

• Reply Felicita Moncada Jul 31, 2015 at 11:17 pm

I’ve never eaten clams but they actually look enticing in your pictures! Maybe I’ll give it a try with the white wine!

• Reply Shann Eva Aug 1, 2015 at 3:02 am

I’m not a big seafood fan, but I think my husband would enjoy this.

• Reply Carolyn Aug 1, 2015 at 3:57 am

I don’t eat clams, but I know many that do who would love this. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Curtis Joseph Aug 1, 2015 at 4:17 am

I truly love clams, I haven’t had them in a long time; this sounds so good!

• Reply Shannon P Aug 1, 2015 at 4:54 am

YUM! This really seems like it would let the clams shine!

• Reply Susan Quackenbush Aug 1, 2015 at 5:44 am

My husband loves lobster and clams but I rarely get to make it for him. Perhaps next time I’ll try this recipe. Thank you for sharing! 🙂

• Reply Betsy @ Happily Ever After Etc. Aug 1, 2015 at 5:49 am

I bet my mom would love these… she adores clams!

• Reply Ourfamilyworld Aug 1, 2015 at 8:22 am

That looks so delicious. I love clams, but I’ve never tried cooking them with white wine. I will save this for later.

• Reply michelle bowman Aug 1, 2015 at 9:20 am

looks delicious ! m hubby would surel like this thank you for sharing

• Reply Joanne T Ferguson Aug 1, 2015 at 1:03 pm

I love clams and what a great recipe and photo! I am now salivating for this recipe to try! Thanks for highlighting it today!

• Reply Jasmine Aug 1, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Gorgeous pictures!! Those clams are perfect for a hot summer night meal!

• Reply chanelle Aug 1, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Steamed clams are such an easy and tasty thing to make. Sometimes we’ll substitute sake for white wine. I love drinking the soup afterwards too. 😉

• Reply Angelic Sinova Aug 1, 2015 at 7:04 pm

Yummy! I’ve never tried Steamed Clams with White Wine before but it sure does look great. I can’t wait to try this recipe out <3

• Reply Debbie Denny Aug 2, 2015 at 3:09 pm

I have had fried clams but not steamed/ I will have to do this

• Reply Elizabeth O. Aug 2, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Clams are one of my favorite seafood. This one looks so good!

• Reply M from The Stay-at-Home Life Aug 2, 2015 at 6:51 pm

I haven’t had clams in awhile, these look tasty!

• Reply Paula Schuck Aug 3, 2015 at 4:15 am

I have never made my own Clams before. This looks so delicious and easy to make. I will have to try this recipe.

• Reply luckyseventen Aug 6, 2015 at 2:37 am

That looks absolutely delicious! And by the looks of the ingredients, looks somewhat easy to make. Thanks for the recipe!

• Reply mmgmom Aug 12, 2015 at 4:52 am

I used to love steamed clams when I was little. It has been a long time since I have had them thanks for the reminder that I need to go back to things of my childhood.