Tips for Managing High Blood Sugar

overnight-chia-pudding-high-fiber-breakfast

I have been compensated by Glucerna for this post; however, I am sharing my own thoughts. All opinions are my own. Talk with your health care provider about a diabetes management plan that’s right for you. #GlucernaHungerSmart #CollectiveBias

glucerna-shake-hunger-smart

I have always been a very active person and pretty good about maintaining my healthy lifestyle before I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes during pregnancy. My gestational diabetes went away after first pregnancy but It came back when I was pregnant for the second time. I’ve learned that so many of my relatives suffered from one form or another of diabetes. One of my aunts had many health complications from Diabetes and it eventually proved to be too strong of a disease and took her life. High blood sugar levels run in my family, and it’s something my mom currently suffers from. She’s been monitoring her blood sugar number for years. For these reasons I choose to take extra precaution to prevent/reduce my risks in develop diabetes now or later in life. I check my blood sugar at annual checkups and every now and then randomly. I try my best to follow a low-carb diet and try to get active as much as possible, with activities as simple as a quick walk after a big meal.

managing-blood-sugar-high-fiber-breakfast-chia-pudding

Here is the list of things that I’ve been doing differently to control my blood sugar and reduce my risk of developing diabetes later in life:

1. Control my weight and have annual check-ups on this and other vitals.
I never skip annual check up (body weight measurement, cholesterol, etc). I always discuss the result with my personal dietitian so we can compare the numbers with last year. This is the easiest way to keep track my personal health and motivate me to improve my health. Losing weight through exercise and eating healthy can also reduce our risk for diabetes and other health problems.

miso-salmon-watercress-salad
2. Follow a low carb diet, but never skip meals.
By following low carb diet, I limit my sugar intake. I believe it will help me maintain a healthy weight and improve my overall health. It’s very important to keep track of what I eat and know how many carb I consume in each meal. I need to make sure not to go overboard though, as skipping meals would undermine all of the good nutritional measures I am taking. I have to eat every 3-4 hours (3 small portion meals and 3 snacks per day). This is the best way to keep my blood sugar under control and to prevent over-eating later on in the day due to cravings.  Eating bigger portions, will cause my blood glucose levels to rise more than eating smaller portions.
3. Exercise regularly and stay hydrated
Exercising regularly helps me stabilize my blood sugar. 15 minutes of walking every meals has been an effective way to control my blood sugar levels. I try to exercise for at least 30 minutes each day, on a busy day I prefer to do 2×15 minutes (more effective).
4. Limit drinks and foods high in sugar
I consume high amounts of protein and fiber for breakfast and avoid drinking too much juice in the morning. As an example : I make an overnight chia pudding for breakfast. I only use unsweetened almond milk and small amount of high fiber fruits such as berries to add sweetness. I also enjoy eggs for breakfast. A big salad with healthy lean protein/fish makes for a perfect lunch, and can be paired with complex carbs such as quinoa, beans, etc. I was never a big fan of soft drinks or eating desserts too often, but those may be first steps to cut out of your diet, too. Avoid/limit : Soft drinks, fruit juices, candy, ice cream and many others
5. Choose snacks wisely
One of my favorite diabetes-friendly brands is Glucerna®. I am a big fan of Glucerna bars and have lately been enjoying the Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ Shakes. They’re a delicious way to help you stick to your weight loss plan. Each shake has a healthy amount of protein (15 grams) and an excellent source of 25 vitamins and minerals . They have a slow digestible carb called CARBSTEADY®, which combats blodd sugar spikes. With 66% less sugars than the leading weight loss shakes, it is an easy choice for me and my health. I also enjoy eating a handful of nuts per day as part of a healthy diet.

glucerna-shake-hunger-smart

Managing blood sugar can be a challenge, and it’s often the little wins that count. At first, following low carb diet was pretty hard, but it became easier and actually very rewarding as my body feels the positive effects. I have control of my blood sugar and this definitely helps reduce my risk.

Try 6pk Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ Shakes (Chocolate or Vanilla), you can find them at Walmart stores. Buy any 2 large packs of Glucerna and get up to $3 off. (Please use under medical supervision)

TIPS-TO-CONTROL-BLOOD-SUGAR

• 1 teaspoon unsweetened blueberry powder
  • fresh/frozen berries
  • mixed nuts/mixed grains
  • cacao nibs
  • Optional : Sweetener of your choice add according to your liking
Instructions
  1. Whisk the chia seeds, almond milk, vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl or glass mason jar
  2. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight
  3. The next morning, mix 1/2 portion of chia seeds mixture with unsweetened blueberry powder
  4. Layer up all ingredients then serve with fresh berries, cacao nibs

• Reply OurFamilyWorld May 3, 2016 at 3:55 am

My dad is diabetic and he follows a low carb diet. He also exercises daily. I haven’t heard of Glucerna before. I think he’ll like this.

• Reply Jeanette May 3, 2016 at 9:50 am

I’m fortunate not to have high blood pressure, but our family does have a history of high blood pressure so I do keep a close eye on it. That drink looks delicious I may just want to try it just because.

• Reply lisa May 3, 2016 at 10:29 am

These are all great tips. It’s important to drink a lot of water and eat regularly. My mother is a diabetic and she says watching carbs is the hardest for her!

• Reply Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle May 3, 2016 at 11:50 am

Diet is everything for people suffering with high blood sugar. I have a friend with diabetes, and Glucerna products really help keep her on track

• Reply Ashley Winters May 3, 2016 at 11:57 am

These are great tips! I think a lot of health problems stem from not eating the right foods.

• Reply Miss Angie (@MySoCalledChaos) May 3, 2016 at 12:50 pm

These are really great tips, and your photos are lovely. I don’t have high blood sugar, but Diabetes runs in my family and I try to do what I can to avoid getting it. Or, rather, I should be trying harder actually.

• Reply Rebecca Swenor May 3, 2016 at 1:12 pm

These are great tips for managing high blood sugar. Glucerna is something I will have to look into for my mother and share with my brother. It is so important to watch what we put into our bodies as well as how we take care of them. Prevention is indeed the key. Thanks for sharing the tips.

• Reply Nancy L. May 3, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Managing high blood sugar is very important. My mother is 78 years old and recently found out she has high blood sugar. It is so important to take care of ourselves and eat right. I am going to share this informative post with her.
    Your photos are lovely, by the way! 🙂

• Reply Shasta May 3, 2016 at 1:53 pm

These are great tips! I live pretty much the same way. Even though I am not at risk for diabetes, I don’t want to put myself at risk for any of the metabolic diseases that stem from an unhealthy diet. Keep up the good work! [client]

• Reply Wood Arts Universe May 4, 2016 at 5:27 am

All of these tips are really great. Although I don’t have diabetes, I still want to be careful on what to eat and drink. Thank you for sharing this essential information with everyone!

• Reply Kathy May 4, 2016 at 7:46 am

These are some wonderful tips. Both my father and my father in law have diabetes. I need to check out those products for them. I know eating healthy and exercising regularly is something that is very important.

• Reply Karissa @WithOurBest (@withourbest) May 4, 2016 at 10:52 am

Great tips for managing high blood pressure. Diabetes is ever so common these days, it is good to be mindful!

• Reply jamie May 4, 2016 at 11:10 am

Thankfully this isn’t something I’ve had to deal with, but my sister has. She had a heck of a time with her blood sugar when she was pregnant.

• Reply Ann Bacciaglia May 4, 2016 at 11:24 am

This is a great post for my Dad. He was just diagnosed with Diabetes. I will have to share this with him. This is great information.

• Reply Run For Life (@uprun4life) May 4, 2016 at 12:33 pm

I am working on my weight now. I am scared to get diabetes even though it never ran in our family.

• Reply Mary Edwards May 4, 2016 at 2:25 pm

I was recently told that my blood sugar is borderline. These tips are great to help me lower it so that I don’t have to worry about it getting too high.

• Reply Stephanie Pass May 4, 2016 at 3:23 pm

These are great tips! Both my parents are diabetic, so I try to keep my blood sugar as normalized as possible.

• Reply Dina Demarest (@dinade) May 4, 2016 at 6:51 pm

These look great for those that are battling blood sugar issues. Tasty and good for you!

• Reply Marielle Altenor May 6, 2016 at 9:57 am

Awesome tips for sure! I try to limit my sugar by avoiding drinks and food that contains a lot of sugar.

• Reply CourtneyLynne May 10, 2016 at 6:58 am

These are some very helpful tips!!! I swear dirt is key for most things in life. Food really is medicine