This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FlavorsOfTheGame #CollectiveBias The following content is intended for readers who are 21 or older
My favorite part about watching the big game is getting a bunch of friends together for a fun event. I love hosting and as long as I have foods that I know will be a hit the whole party will be much more stress free. We have taken the approach to elevate the food and drinks we serve, usually picking out some great wines and then pairing food. This year we are going with Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon as it goes so well with meats and cheese. You could just put out a plate with some varieties of each but I prefer to wow my guests with a couple of delicious recipes that are actually quite simple: Tostada Recipe with Pork Carnitas (easy slow cooker pulled pork) and a side dish of Spinach Artichoke Dip. Both recipes are below and are always a hit for gameday viewing!
Pork Carnitas (Easy Slow Cooker Pulled Pork) Recipe:
Pork carnitas are easy, delicious, and an extremely versatile food. They taste great in sandwiches, rice, tacos, or in this case tostadas. Slow cooker carnitas is an easy way to get juicy pork with bold flavors, and is simple to make in 10 hours low heat (or about 4 hours in high heat). I love serving pork carnitas on Tostadas (more than say a burrito or even taco) since it is open and you can show off and entice with the carnitas and other colorful ingredients.
Pork Carnitas (Easy Slow Cooker Pulled Pork)
- 2 lb pork shoulder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeño - seeded and cut
- 2 oranges - (juice only)
- salt/pepper - according to your taste
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Wash and Dry the pork shoulder.
- Rub with salt/pepper, oregano, cumin and olive oil.
- Spray the bottom of slow cooker with oil spray, add onion, garlic and jalapeño. Place the pork shoulder on top and cook for 8-10 hours in low heat or high for about 4- 5 hours
- Remove the pork from slow cooker, cool it down then pull apart with a fork
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large sauté pan then fry the pork carnitas until crusty on one side
Tostada Recipe with Pork Carnitas:
Tostada Recipe with Pork Carnitas
- Tostada tortilla - store bought
- Refried beans
- Pork Carnitas - recipe above
- 4 ripe tomatoes - seeded and chopped
- shredded cabbage or lettuce
- Mexican crema
- Queso Fresco cheese
- Additional Toppings : Avocado - Lime
- Spread the refried beans evenly over one side of tostada tortilla.
- Layer tostada tortilla with pork carnitas then top with tomatoes, cilantro, shredded cabbage or lettuce, Mexican cream.
- Sprinkle with Queso Fresco cheese and serve with salsa
Easy Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe
A slow cooker dip is a rock solid appetizer or side, and my Slow Cooker Spinach Dip is always popular (you may want to make extra, this can go quickly). I like that it has a couple of healthy vegetables in there, yet tastes just as good as any other finger food or appetizer (most of which don’t taste half as good). This is one of the best spinach artichoke dip recipes I've ever made.
Easy Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 2 lbs spinach - washed and chopped
- 1 clove garlic - minced or ¾ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 lemon zested - fine grated
- 1 lb frozen artichoke hearts - coarsely chopped
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- ¾ cup sour cream or low fat greek yogurt
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper according to your taste
- In a medium bowl, mix together spinach, garlic and lemon zest. Add artichoke hearts, 1-cup swiss cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and worcestershire sauce.
- Mix well and transfer into a slow cooker. Cook in low heat for about 2 hours.
- Garnish with bacon
For more updates, please follow Woodbridge Wine on social media :
Find more simple entertaining here