Wonderful Flavor – Packed in Nutrient Beet Salad Recipe
This Watercress Beet Salad Recipe is packed with amazing health benefits. It tastes delicious, is refreshing and is very easy to make. The perfect vibrant colors of green and red make it a fun dish to add to your Christmas dinner menu (and who says you can only do Christmas cookies in green and red, ha). I like the mixed texture of the two vegetables, beets are unlike any other in their consistency, and the slight crunch of the watercress makes for a nice bite.
Beets are excellent source of folate while watercress are providing nutrition, boosting immunity, cancer preventive and thyroid support. Beets are also an excellent source of both folate and manganese. As for watercress, it has been rated the healthiest vegetable on many respected websites and journals. Some stay away from watercress due to its strong taste, but with the right accompanying vegetables and a tiny bit of something like vinegar for dressing you’ll be enjoying it just like any other leafy green. Pomegranate is another component of the recipe that adds a lot of flavor, and a different popping texture too. I personally love adding fruit in my salads, and similar to beats and watercress it is among the healthiest out there. I made this with and without the pistachios as my friend has a nut allergy… both tasted great.
This may be one of the healthiest salads I’ve posted. It’s unique but really tasty even for those that aren’t gung-ho on eating veggies. I put it to the “kid test” and had two clean plates and two smiling faces afterwards, success!
Watercress Beet Salad Recipe
- 4 medium beets washed, scrapped
- 3 cups fresh watercress
- 4 teaspoons pomegranate seeds
- 4 teaspoons unsalted pistachios or any nuts of your choice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tablespoons orange juice fresh
- ¼ teaspoon honey optional
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Wrap beets in foil and roast for about 1 hour
- Stir in together: balsamic vinegar, olive oil, orange juice, honey in a small mixing bowl
- Cut the beets into small pieces
- Arrange beets, watercress, pomegranate seeds, pistachios on a salad plate and drizzle with balsamic dressing. Use less or more dressing according to your liking