Yellow Basmati Rice with Turmeric, Cashews and Raisins

Yellow Basmati Rice with Turmeric, Cashews and Raisins

Yellow Basmati Rice with Turmeric, Raisins and Cashews

Rice lovers, you must give this recipe a try!  It’s great as a side or even as an entree, especially for those of you who are vegetarian. The recipe is inspired by Indian and Indonesian cuisine.  I chose basmati rice because of its dry texture and unique flavor.  If you can’t find basmati rice nearby, you can use jasmine rice instead.

I cooked the rice using a rice cooker so it was very fast.  It’s easy and almost no preparation, except for washing the rice and putting the ingredients in one pot.

Repin this Yellow Basmati Rice with Turmeric, Cashews and Raisins

Save it and use the recipe later

Don’t forget to follow PoshJournal on Pinterest to see more updates and recipes!

Yellow Basmati Rice with Turmeric, Cashews and Raisins
Yellow Basmati Rice with Turmeric, Cashews and Raisins
Author: Posh Journal
Ingredients
  • 1 Cup of Basmati Rice (please refer to the cup marks on the inside of a rice cooker or use the cup that comes with rice cooker)
  • 1/2 cup of Water (same as above use the markers)
  • 1/2 cup of Coconut Milk
  • 1/2 Teaspoon of Ground Cumin
  • 1/2 Teaspoon of Ground Coriander
  • 1 Leave Kaffir skip this if you don't have any
  • 3 Stalks of Lemongrass washed and bruised
  • 1 Bay Leaf
  • 1 Teaspoon of Salt
  • 1/2 cup of Raisins
  • 1 Teaspoon of Sugar I used NUTIVA Coconut Sugar
  • 1 cup of Cashews or Silver Almonds use less or more as you wish
  • 1/2 Teaspoon of Ground Turmeric
  • 1 Tablespoon of Coconut Oil I used NUTIVA coconut oil
Instructions
  1. Simply add all ingredients above into rice cooker. Let it cook automatically. Remove rice when its cooked then serve.

Reginia Cordell
    Jul 31, 2015 at 9:41 am

This looks really good. It resembles Biryani or a similar Arabic inspired rice. My husband would love it.

Pixie Dust Savings (@PixieDustSaving)
    Jul 31, 2015 at 3:33 pm

This recipe looks fantastic! I sometimes have meatless Mondays and this would be a perfect recipe to put in the rotation. I haven’t tried basmati rice as of yet, but have seen it at my grocery store.

tammileetips
    Aug 1, 2015 at 4:39 am

This sounds like an amazing rice recipe for rice. As a vegetarian I am always looking for new meatless recipes!! I think this would be a good one for my husband to pair up with his chicken too.

Sarah Marturano
    Aug 1, 2015 at 5:16 am

Yum, this recipe looks amazing! I love that you used coconut sugar, you don’t find it in a lot of recipes. I’m going to add this to my meatless recipes since we try to do a meatless meal once a week.

michelle bowman
    Aug 1, 2015 at 11:58 am

sounds delicious! thank you for sharing the procedure i will try these on weekends i hope my family would love this.

Ourfamilyworld
    Aug 1, 2015 at 3:41 pm

We love rice and we eat it everyday. I haven’t tried cooking Basmati Rice, but this one looks really good. I am sure the combination of coconut milk, lemon grass, raisins and nuts made this rice tastier.

Rally L.C.
    Aug 2, 2015 at 6:38 am

I love Basmati rice and I love playing with my food, so I might give this recipe a try. I also like to add coconut milk when I cook rice, it give it such a nice flavoring. It sounds interesting the combination with raising, cashews and all those spices – coriander, cumin, turmenic, lemongrass – I would love to test it.

Joanne T Ferguson
    Aug 2, 2015 at 8:48 am

What a gorgeous photo and recipe! I love basmati rice and almost eat it exclusively! I love the combination of the sweet raisins with the very beneficial turmeric which i use a lot of in cooking! What a great add of the crunch of the cashews! One word? YUM!

CouponDivaDesirae
    Aug 2, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Ohh my that looks delicious! I am a huge fan on cashews and would love to try this recipe! I also love your little bowl you have it in. I will have to pin this for later 🙂

michelle bowman
    Aug 3, 2015 at 3:04 am

Looks delicious my hubby would surely like this. i made this on weekend i hope my kids would love it too sounds delicious and they love cashews and raisins. thank you for the procedure and this recipe it is a great re ipe thank ou for sharing

mmgmom
    Aug 4, 2015 at 12:14 am

This recipe looks absolutely incredible and delicious. I love anything that has cashews in it so this dish is right up my alley. Thank you for making meal planning not so boring I am adding this to my meals in the future.

poshjournaladmin
      Aug 5, 2015 at 6:37 pm

i love cashews on this recipe. Still crunchy but not too hard

Erin
    Aug 4, 2015 at 6:14 pm

We lived in Malaysia for a year, right next to Little India, and one of the things I miss the most is the Indian food. There’s just something amazing about a well-made Indian dish. I’m super excited about this one because I’ve been craving Indian food recently and this sounds like the perfect dish to make.

poshjournaladmin
      Aug 5, 2015 at 6:36 pm

We love indian and malaysian foods ! We try new indian restaurant once a month.