Craving for some Mexican foods? You have got to try this dish. Tasty chicken chile verde recipe packs a powerful taste that can be rolled into a burrito, served up with some rice or with tortilla chips.
This is also the perfect party dish or lunch that you can make ahead of time, then kept it the fridge and re-heated when ready to eat.
This chicken chile verde contains a pretty long list of ingredients, but is actually quite easy and affordable to make. I bought most of these ingredients from my local farmers market. If you are having a hard time finding the poblano chilies or Anaheim chilies, you can also opt for dried versions.
Chicken Chile Verde
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound tomatillos, roughly cut into small pieces
- 1 bunch green onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 ½ cups fresh cilantro with tender stems
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 ½ pound skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, (slightly more as needed per your preference)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cups large onion, chopped (about 2 )
- 5 pieces medium Anaheim chiles, cored, seeded, and diced into large
- ¾ cup diced roasted peeled seeded Anaheim chiliess
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 inch cinnamon stick, 3-
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Fresh cilantro
- Using a high speed blender, puree chicken broth with tomatillos, green onions, cilantro stems and fresh cilantro with tender stems. Set salsa verde aside.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels, cut into 1 ½ inch pieces.
- Place chicken in a large bowl, add salt/pepper, flour and toss to coat
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add ⅓ of chicken, shaking any excess flour, then sear until golden brown on both sides for about 10 minutes. Transfer into a large bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the same Dutch Oven and add the remaining chicken, cook on both sides for about 10 minutes,
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the same Dutch Oven. Add the onion, Anaheim Chilies, Cumin, Paprika and cook until tender for about 4 minutes
- Add the chicken then pour in the puree chicken broth from step 1. Add Oregano and a cinnamon stick and stir to combine.
- Stir the chicken and broth occasionally for about 1 hour
- Season with salt/pepper as needed.
- Serve with tortilla or rice and fresh cilantro