Here's another delicious mussel recipe for you to try. These Chilli Mussels are cooked in a slightly spicy tomato-based broth that has a fantastic taste. You can serve them as tasty hors d’oeuvres before the main course! So quick and easy. It can be ready in less than 30 minutes.
Mussels can be easily turned into a fancy dish within minutes and with just a few simple ingredients. It's the perfect appetizer to feed a crowd when you are in a hurry, and even tight on a budget.
I have shared many mussels recipes on my blog, but this Chilli mussels recipe is a must-try. The mussels are tender and the broth is flavorful.
This Chilli mussels recipe uses a small amount of saffron, the ultimate spice used in Spanish cuisine.
I was fortunate to return to Spain in 2019 and eat seafood up and down the coast, which was the inspiration for so many dishes I've made.
Some of my favorite meals from Spain were actually in Madrid. Although it's not coastal it is one of the best food meccas I've ever visited for seafood, traditional and new Spanish cuisine.
Ingredients and Variations
- Saffron: It's commonly used in Mediterannean, Asian, and European cuisine. It's a staple ingredient for paella and it's also one of the most expensive spices in the world.
Please keep in mind that you only need a small amount of saffron to make this recipe. I highly recommend purchasing from the bulk section, so you only buy what you need to make this recipe.
Ingredient Substitution: If you can't find saffron in your area, feel free to skip it.
- Diced tomatoes: You can use fresh or canned diced tomatoes. In this recipe, I personally used fresh diced tomatoes. If you are going to use canned products, make sure to pick the one with no salt added.
- Dry White Wine: You can use any white wine that isn't sweet and with high acidities, such as Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Pinot Gris, Pinot Blanc.
Ingredient Substitution: A great substitute for dry white wine is chicken broth.
- Red Chilli peppers: You can use fresh red serrano or jalapeno peppers. The amount of chilli depends on how spicy you like your food to be.
Ingredient Substitution: Dried red chilli pepper flakes or a good quality hot sauce.
How to Make Chilli Mussels
This chilli mussels recipe is so super easy! You just need to prepare the mussels, the broth and cook the mussels.
Step 1. Clean and Prepare the Mussels
You need to soak, scrub, de-beard, and rinse the mussels before cooking. Here's the complete tutorial on how to prepare mussels for cooking.
Step 2. Prepare the Broth
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook shallots, garlic, tomato paste, chilli peppers, and herbs for 1-2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and bring them to a boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
Step 3. Cook the Mussels
- Increase the heat to high. Add dry white wine, butter, saffron, and mussels.
- Cover the pot and cook for about 6 minutes or until the mussels have opened.
FAQ and Cooking Tips
You can store the leftover mussels in the fridge for up to 5 days or up to 3 months in the freezer. The food should register at least 165°F on a food thermometer when safely reheated.
Yes, you can. Just thaw the mussels in the refrigerator overnight or run under cold water to thaw before cooking.
Check Out More Mussels Recipes:
- Moules Marinières
- Pasta with Mussels and Marinara Sauce
- Instant Pot Mussels in White Wine Sauce
- Mussels in White Wine and Chorizo Sauce
- 2½ pounds mussels, (Here's the complete tutorial on how to prepare mussels for cooking)
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ cup diced shallots
- 1-2 fresh red chilies, (such as Jalapeno or Serrano, seeded and chopped)
- 1½ tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 1¼ pounds tomatoes, (diced)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- Soak mussels in cold salt water (3 cups + ¼ cup salt) for about 15 minutes. Discard open mussels, scrub the shells, de-beard, and rinse until the water runs clear.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook shallots and red chili peppers for 30 seconds. Cook garlic, for 30 seconds, cook tomato paste and sugar for 1 minute. Cook dried basil and thyme for 1 minute. Keep stirring.
- Add diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Increase the heat to high. Add dry white wine, butter, saffron, and the cleaned mussels into the pot. Cover the pan, cook for about 6 minutes or until the mussels have opened.