This creamy mushroom sauce recipe is incredibly versatile. You can serve it over pasta, chicken, steak, baked potatoes, or fish fillets. This sauce will make everything tastes better! The essential sauce that every home cook should know how to make!
Today, I am going to show you how to make a good sauce that you will want to put it on everything. This creamy mushroom sauce recipe will take your ordinary dishes to yet another level. It adds luxurious, creaminess, texture, and umami flavor to any dish. It’s simply delicious and of course, it’s loaded with mushroom flavor!
This mushroom sauce is thickened without flour or cornstarch. It is low in carb and keto-friendly!
To make this creamy mushroom sauce recipe, you will need the following basic ingredients; mushrooms, olive oil, shallots, butter, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, white wine, beef broth, heavy cream, thyme, and parmesan cheese. It’s so flavorful and easy to prepare! It takes about 13-15 minutes of cooking time!
Mushrooms: In this recipe, I used white (button) mushrooms. Cremini, Portobello, Shiitake, Oyster, Porcini, or a combination of these mushrooms will also work great.
Broth: You can use any type of stock/broth of your choice, such as; chicken, vegetable, or beef broth. I used beef broth for a richer flavor and because I was going to serve the sauce with steak.
Wine: Wine adds acidity to a dish, as a result, it brings out flavors in all kinds of dishes, especially in sauces. I highly recommend using dry white or rosé wine to make this creamy mushroom sauce. I personally used rosé wine because it’s the perfect type of wine to make a great sauce for meat and fish dishes. The acid brightens the flavors and gives a more aromatic twist to the mushroom sauce. Feel free to use red wine if that’s the only thing available in your pantry!
Heavy Cream: You may substitute an equal amount of heavy cream for half-and-half or whole milk with extra butter. Heavy creams contain more fat than half-and-half-creams and also more resistant to curdling, so they are a better choice in soups and sauces.
Dijon Mustard: This is one of the key ingredients to make this tasty sauce, so be sure not to skip it!
Use Leftover Heavy Cream To Make These Easy Recipes:
- CREAMY TORTELLINI SOUP WITH KIELBASA AND SPINACH
- CREAMY CHICKEN MARSALA
- SLOW COOKER CREAMY CHICKEN WILD RICE SOUP
- WHITE SAUCE PASTA (CREAMY AND GARLICKY) – WITH RECIPE VIDEO 🎥
- INSTANT POT SAUSAGE GNOCCHI SOUP (CREAMY ITALIAN GOODNESS) (WITH RECIPE VIDEO 🎥)
- INSTANT POT CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER (STOVETOP INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED) WITH VIDEO 🎥
- INSTANT POT CLAM CHOWDER
How to Make Creamy Mushroom Sauce
This sauce is packed with flavor and so easy to make! It comes together quickly once you get started. Anybody can make this sauce, no cooking skills required!
- Sauté the shallots, mushrooms, salt, and pepper until tender. This process should take about 5-6 minutes.
- Sauté the garlic for 30 seconds, add Worcestershire sauce and dijon mustard then cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the wine and reduce to a thicker consistency (evaporated), scraping up any browned bits then add broth and heavy cream. Simmer until the sauce is thickened. This process should take about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the aromatic thyme leaves and parmesan cheese about 30-45 seconds before the cooking process is done.
I hope you’ll enjoy this Creamy Mushroom Sauce recipe! If you try it out, please don’t forget to come back and rate the recipe card!
Creamy Mushroom Sauce Recipe
- 8 oz cremini or white (trimmed and sliced)
- 2 oz shallots (chopped)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 small garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- ¼ cup dry white wine or Rosé
- ¼ cup beef broth (or chicken or vegetable broth)
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp dried thyme leaves (or about ½ tbsp fresh thyme)
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (use more according to your liking)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Saute for 1-2 minutes to soften.
- Add butter and mushrooms into the skillet. Cook until golden brown for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and dijon mustard and sauté for about 1 minute.
- Add the wine, stirring to scrape up any stuck bits; then cook and stir to evaporate the alcohol for about 1 minute.
- Add the beef broth and heavy cream to the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown and thickened for about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the dried thyme leaves and parmesan cheese, season with salt and pepper if needed. Give it a quick stir for about 30-45 seconds then remove from the heat.
- Please keep in mind that the extra sauce will get thickened as it sits.
- Serve and enjoy!