In the mood for a tangy and refreshing high antioxidant salad? Look no further, this one is a culmination of tasty ingredients coming together in a tasty and unique freekeh salad: It contains freekeh, kale, sweet potatoes, pumpkin seeds, tomatoes, fresh mint, fresh basil, walnuts and cashew. I topped it with a lime cilantro homemade dressing. This filling salad is very easy to make. It also offers tons of health benefits. You can buy freekeh at most grocery stores; usually found in a bag. Bob’s Red Mill freekeh has a nice tastes and its very affordable.
What is Freekeh?
It's an ancient roasted grain from the Middle East that has an awesome nutty, chewy texture. The cooking process is quit fast. Freekeh is very high in fiber and works not only in salads but as a replacement for rice or even in your morning cereal. This Freekeh Salad is perfect as a main dish or side. Be sure to cook Freekeh according to package directions. Overcooking will turn Freekeh into mushy porridge/cereal.
Hope you'd enjoy this Freekeh Salad and Lime Cilantro Dressing Recipe. Like many salads, this one is very customizable so feel free to remove or add other ingredients to your liking.
Freekeh Salad with Kale, Sweet Potatoes & Homemade Lime Cilantro Dressing
- 1 ½ cups cooked Freekeh, cooked according to the product packaging
- 1 bunch fresh kale with stems removed
- Baked/Boiled/Microwaved Sweet Potatoes
- ⅓ cup mixed nuts, such as walnuts, pumpkin seeds and cashews
- ⅓ cup tomatoes, I suggest cherry or grape tomatoes
- ⅓ cup mixed bell peppers
- ⅓ cup mixed fresh chopped mint and basil
- salt/pepper to taste
- optional : extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Wash and Scrub sweet potatoes. Prick the potatoes with fork or sharp knife
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until throughly cooked and soft
- Place all the ingredients in the salad bowl
- Add salt/pepper to taste
- Serve with lime cilantro salad dressing and extra virgin olive oil
Lime Cilantro Dressing
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 inch ginger root, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Black Peper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup honey or more according to your liking
- ½ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- Place garlic, ginger root, salt, pepper, cilantro leaves and honey in a blender or food processor.. Blend until finely chopped
- Add lime juice and white balsamic vinegar, pure to blend
- Slowly add olive oil and stir all together