This Korean chicken recipe is very flavorful and easy to make. You may have heard Gochujang (“chili paste” in Korean) , which has a perfect balance of sweetness and saltiness.
The chicken and sauces taste great with many different options, I often opt for long grain rice as it soaks up the flavor, is filling and gives added texture, too.
Braised Korean Chicken with Gochujang
I braised this chicken using a dutch oven. You can also cook this recipe using your crock pot or slow cooker.
Korean food is becoming one of my favorites and much of that is due to the peppers and spices that they have perfected over the generations. It goes far beyond kimchi, too!
The Asian market closest to us has so many varieties of Korean sauces and paste, I keep trying new ones, some sound similar like red pepper paste and red chili paste, but the tastes are different and wonderful.
Find Gochujang or Korean Hot Pepper Paste at any Korean or Asian markets or online. This fermented Korean condiment made from red chili, glutinous rice, fermented soybeans, and salt (rich in flavor and color)
How to Make Gochujang Chicken:
1. Make the Sweet and Spicy Gochujang Sauce
In a medium bowl, mix onion, garlic, ginger, gochujang, soy sauce, agave nectar or honey, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and black pepper. Stir until combined.
2. Brown the Chicken
3. Braise the Chicken
Add sauce and broth into the pot. Cook the chicken until tender for about 40-50 minutes on low-medium heat.
Gochujang Sweet Spicy Korean Chicken
- 3 pounds of mixed chicken thighs and chicken legs or about 8 chicken drumsticks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or more if needed
- 1 medium onion, (chopped)
- 8 cloves garlic, (finely grated)
- 2- inch piece ginger, (peeled, finely grated)
- ¼ cup gochujang
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½-1 tablespoon agave nectar, (depending on your liking) (equal to 2 tablespoon of sugar or honey)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, add more to your liking
- Mix all of the Gojuchang sauce ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Season chicken with 1 teaspoon salt. Heat butter and vegetable oil in a medium dutch oven or pot. Cook chicken until lightly browned for about 5 minutes.
- Add the Gojuchang sauce and cook for about 3 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover pot. Cook until chicken is tender for about 40-50 minutes.
Recipe adapted from BonAppetit