You really have to try this Instant Pot Fried Rice recipe. This Asian rice dish is cooked from scratch in a pressure cooker. The rice is loaded with flavors and mixed with eggs, and vegetables. So delicious and comforting!
Craving for some Chinese food? Skip the take-out line and make this quick Instant Pot fried rice! The made-from-scratch fried rice can be ready in less than 25 minutes. It makes for the perfect last-minute dinner idea for your busy weeknights.
Instant Pot Fried Rice Ingredients:
To make this fried rice you will need good quality white rice such as long-grain rice or Thai jasmine rice. For seasoning, you will need an onion, ginger, garlic, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, oyster sauce, salt, and pepper. The rice is cooked with lightly beaten eggs, and mixed vegetables.
How to Make Instant Pot Fried Rice:
The cooking process of this fried rice is pretty simple. Here's how:
- First, cook the rice in the pressure cooker or Instant Pot.
- Second, remove the cooked rice from the pot and spread it evenly on a baking sheet. Let the rice cool down, then if possible put it in the fridge while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Third, it's time to stir-fry the rice with other ingredients.
I've posted a quite few fried rice recipes before. If you've been following my posts, you maybe remember that the general rule of good fried rice is to use leftover or day-old white rice.
If you have some leftover rice in the fridge, feel free to use it to make this recipe. In this case, you just need to skip the first step and stir-fry the rice with the other ingredients in the pressure cooker.
This Instant Pot fried rice recipe works for those who are feeling a craving for tasty fried rice but forget to make the rice a day early.
How Long do I need to Cook the Rice in an Instant Pot:
Cooking rice in an Instant Pot is so easy and quick. It only takes 3 minutes, with 10 minutes of natural release.
As a general rule of thumb, use the accepted ratio of 1 cup of water per 1 cup of dry rice. In this recipe, I used 2 cups of rice with 2 cups of water.
To Prevent Mushy Fried Rice:
As I mentioned above fried rice is best made with leftover day-old rice. But in this case, most of you are going to use freshly cooked rice.
Here's how to prevent that fresh rice from getting mushy:
- Once you finish cooking the rice in a pressure cooker, you need to transfer the rice to a big tray such as a baking sheet.
- Spread the rice out while it's still hot all over the tray, and give it a few minutes to allow some surface moisture to evaporate while you're preparing other ingredients.
It’s an easy step that can absolutely save this and many other dishes from mushy rice.
Don't forget to put the leftover fried rice in airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags. Properly stored, leftover fried rice will last for 5-7 days in the refrigerator. It will maintain the best quality for about 6 months but will remain safe indefinitely if it's constantly frozen at 0°F.
Instant Pot Fried Rice
- 2 cups uncooked white rice, (long grain or Thai jasmine)
- 2 cups water
For Stir Fry:
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil , (peanut or canola oil)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 3 whole eggs, (lightly beaten)
- 1½ cups mixed vegetables
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine , (or use dry sherry)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce, ( Note: I used 3 teaspoons extra)
- ½ teaspoon salt, (or use more according to your liking)
- black pepper, (to taste)
Cook the Rice:
- Rinse the rice under cold running water until the water runs clear; drain well.
- Stir the rice and water together in an Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi.
- Close the lid and select "manual" on high for 3 minutes. After the cooking cycle finished, wait 10 minutes before releasing the remaining pressure.
- Transfer the cooked rice from the pot and spread evenly on a baking sheet. Let the rice cool down to allow some surface moisture to evaporate while you prepare the other ingredients. The longer you wait the better it gets.
- Clean the inner pot and dry well.
- Select "Saute" when it displays “Hot” and you can start sautéing.
- Heat the oil, add onion, garlic, and ginger, cook, keep stirring until just translucent and fragrant .
- Add frozen vegetables and cook until defrosted and there is no more liquid (water evaporated).
- Push all the ingredients to the side to make room for the eggs.
- Add beaten eggs into the pot, cook until it’s the top surface of the egg has thickened. Then, flip the egg and cook until it’s set on that side, too then break it apart.
- Push the egg to the side together with the vegetables to make room for the rice.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter to the pot, then add the cooked rice. Stir and mix the rice with the other ingredients.
- Add Shaoxing wine and soy sauce, and oyster sauce. Keep stirring and adjust seasoning with additional soy sauce or oyster sauce if desired (use an increment of 1 teaspoon each time).
You just gave me a great dinner idea! I have everything for this recipe!
Kristen M Karlen
This is the best Ninja Foodi recipe I have ever tried. Putting the rice on a cookie sheet, would have never thought of that.
I'm so happy to hear that! I started making a lot of Ninja Foodi recipes and use it almost daily. Thanks again for the feedback!
Love this fried rice. The seasonings are perfect.
I am glad that you liked this Instant Pot fried rice recipe! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback!