Watermelon Margarita Recipe #MixedWithTrop

kickin' watermelon margarita with Tropicana Watermelon juice

This post is a collaboration with my friends at Megan Media and Tropicana. All opinions expressed are my own. Enjoy this delicious and refreshing Watermelon Margarita Recipe.

Watermelon margarita recipe with Tropicana®  Watermelon. Easy cocktail recipe using Tequila and naturally flavor watermelon juice. This watermelon margarita recipe is so refreshing and perfect for girl’s night in or any other occasion.

kickin' watermelon margarita with Tropicana Watermelon juice

I started hosting “girls night in parties” to watch the Grammy Awards many years back, and we decided it was too much fun to just have once a year.  Nowadays, us girls get together much more often, and the parties are something we all look forward to with great anticipation. In hosting these parties and attending those thrown by my awesome friends (who are even better hosts than me), I have learned a few simple things that can help bring your party from a 6 to a 10. I decided to put together a list of these steps to share, and I think you’ll find them surprisingly simple and helpful for your next party.

kickin' watermelon margarita with Tropicana Watermelon juice5 Tips For Hosting A Girls-Night-In Party

1.      Theme Parties Rule:  Including a simple theme for a party will get your guests thinking and planning ahead of time.  The buildup makes it all the better!  Even a simple $1 moustache prop to make it a “Moustaches and Martinis” party will make for really fun pics and raise the fun-factor for the whole event.
  2.      Name the Party:  “Polyester Flashback”,  “Southern Bells Raising Hell” and  “80s Ladies” are just a few from our list. Going along with my first rule, it just adds to the fun of it.  It makes the invitation / Evite look cooler, too!
  3.      Banish the Boys:  My husband stayed home during one of my girls night in parties and tried his best to stay out of our way–he stayed in the garage working on who knows what. We only saw him a couple of times, but afterwards, he and I decided that he should be out of the house for the duration of those parties. It works out though, as he and the rest of the guys now coordinate their Texas Hold’em Poker parties on the same nights.
  4.      Prepare a Playlist: The last thing you want to do is worry about running over to change the song every five minutes, or hearing ads pop-up between your songs (talk about a buzzkill). Especially for theme parties, you want to set the right mood with your music. Have fun with it, and don’t worry too much about whether someone might not like this song or that… after all, it’s a party!
  5.      Have a Special Drink for the Night:  A special cocktail or non-alcoholic drink for the night will be a hit if it’s unique and tastes good. It shows your guests that you put a little extra time and thought into the evening. I usually strive to make a drink that is pretty to look at, possibly by adding a little fruit or extra garnish.  These little things go a long way for presentation and taste.

kickin' watermelon margarita with Tropicana Watermelon juice

Following up on that last tip, I am really excited about a little drink I came up with called a “Kickin’ Watermelon Margarita.” It is sooooo good, with the light and fresh taste of watermelon and a little kick of spice in each sip. I always have fun playing around with my mixology skills and have used Tropicana® Watermelon twice now, once for martinis and this time for margaritas. The fact that they taste so good on their own makes them perfect for blending. I wanted to create a watermelon drink, as I’ve hardly ever seen them around, and it gives me a chance to present something that will make my guests say “wow!”

kickin' watermelon margarita with Tropicana Watermelon juiceOne thing that I really like about the Tropicana®  Watermelon is that it also pairs nicely with vodka, so if you’re more in the mood for a watermelon martini, or just leaving all the ingredients out and letting your guests try a hand at their own mixology skills, this is a tasty and versatile cocktail mixer. The pretty color of the drink caught my eye in the supermarket, which started the whole drink idea for me; it definitely stands out in a good way.   Bonus points that they have no artificial sweeteners or flavors.

kickin' watermelon margarita with Tropicana Watermelon juice

The other ingredient that makes my new cocktail drink really stand out is the chilli-lime powder. You can throw a dash into the drink or add it in with the salt on the rim of the glass, or both. It gives a spicy little chilli kick to your taste buds, something that I think compliments the smooth watermelon flavor. I first started using chilli-lime powder on fruits and vegetables a couple of years back and oftentimes use it on cucumbers, watermelon and other juicy fruits and vegetables. This is the first time I’ve tried it in a cocktail. If it’s not for you, then scaling the drink back to just a standard Watermelon Margarita recipe is perfectly alright…it’s just as delicious!

Hope you’ll enjoy this easy cocktail recipe w/ Tropicana Watermelon : Watermelon Margarita recipe!

Kickin' Watermelon Margarita
Servings: 2 -4
Author: Posh Journal
Ingredients
  • Ingredients:
  • 2 cups Tropicana® Watermelon
  • 1 cup Tequila
  • ¼ fresh lime squeezed
  • Ice
  • Kosher salt for rim of glass
  • Chili Lime Powder for rim of glass
Instructions
  1. Mix Tropicana® Watermelon with Tequila and squeeze in ¼ fresh lime. I used a drink shaker to mix these three ingredients together, then served over ice. If you prefer a frozen margarita then mix in blender with ¼ to ½ cup of ice.
  2. On a paper towel spread moderate amounts of kosher salt and chili lime powder. Wet the rim of margarita or other glass and gently dab and press on paper towel until desired amount of salt and chili powder are applied. Pour margarita contents into glass and enjoy!!
  3. *If desired toss in a pinch or two of chili lime powder directly into the margarita.
  4. **I keep a 2 to 1 ratio of Tropicana® Watermelon drink to Tequila, which makes it very easy to adjust the recipe for more or less people. Feel free of course to make it more or less strong (my husband prefers a 1:1 ratio and says it still tastes amazing).

watermelon margarita recipe

• Reply Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle Nov 21, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Watermelon juice? That sounds awesome! Watermelon is my favorite fruit. I can’t wait to try it and the cocktail recipe.

• Reply Paula Schuck Nov 21, 2016 at 2:20 pm

That’s an amazing cocktail. I love a fruity cocktail, and a watermelon version is a nice twist.

• Reply Kerri (@KerriOlkjer) Nov 21, 2016 at 3:46 pm

I need these in my life. Maybe a great after Thanksgiving cocktail, hmm…

• Reply TravelingWellForLess (@TravelWell4Less) Nov 21, 2016 at 4:42 pm

Yum, I love watermelon juice. Those watermelon margaritas look absolutely delicious. Love the soft subtle pink color. And your styling is on point!

• Reply beckysbestbites Nov 21, 2016 at 5:47 pm

What a tasty cocktail perfect for any girls’ night out or in! The watermelon flavor of the cocktail sounds delish!!

• Reply Gwendolyn Mulholland Nov 21, 2016 at 9:14 pm

This Tropicana Watermelon looks amazing. I have never seen this before and will be looking for it at the grocery.

• Reply Wendy Polisi Nov 22, 2016 at 3:13 am

This is refreshing and it would be perfect this coming Holidays.

• Reply Nikki Nov 22, 2016 at 3:38 am

It looks good, and it would be perfect this coming Holidays! It looks yummy!

• Reply Rebecca Swenor Nov 22, 2016 at 4:41 am

I didn’t know that Tropicana had the Watermelon juice. This is awesome and I am for sure going to be trying the kickein watermelon margarita recipe for my holiday parties. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

• Reply The Mad Mommy Nov 22, 2016 at 6:45 am

This looks so tasty and I love the color! I could definitely go for a few margaritas this week!

• Reply OurFamilyWorld Nov 22, 2016 at 6:50 am

The drink looks and sounds delicious. This is perfect not just for holiday entertaining, but also during date nights.

• Reply uprunforlife Nov 22, 2016 at 7:40 am

This sounds delicious. I will have to try the watermelon juice.

• Reply Kathy Nov 22, 2016 at 9:10 am

This looks so good. I could go for this drink right now. This would actually be nice to have during Thanksgiving!

• Reply Melissa Nov 22, 2016 at 9:33 am

Wow this looks fantastic! You did an amazing job with these photos too! I would love to share a drink like this with you and discuss how I can up my game to be half as good as you. 🙂 Seriously!

• Reply Ann Bacciaglia Nov 22, 2016 at 11:44 am

I would love to have a girls night at my place. Thanks for all the great tips.

• Reply The Trophy WifeStyle Nov 22, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Oooo now this sounds like one deliciousness cocktail!! I just give it a try!!!

• Reply Mrs. Emma Spellman Nov 22, 2016 at 7:47 pm

This looks really good! I am also excited because my 2 year old loves watermelon and I bet he will go crazy for this!

• Reply Jenny Nov 22, 2016 at 10:46 pm

Yummy. I haven’t seen this version of tropicana at the store yet, but I’ll keep an eye out. I did have a really good watermelon margarita in Mazatlan made with real watermelon. It was delish!

• Reply Stephanie Pass Nov 23, 2016 at 12:38 am

This sounds just delicious! I love watermelon and I love margaritas!

• Reply Lynndee Nov 23, 2016 at 6:32 am

What a pretty looking drink! Bet it tastes delicious as it looks too. I’ll tell the hubs to prepare some on Thanksgiving. 🙂

• Reply Tiffany @ Parsnips + Pastries Nov 23, 2016 at 2:39 pm

your photography is just stunning 🙂 xo, Tiffany http://www.parsnipsandpastries.com

• Reply rika agustini Nov 25, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Hi Tiffany, Thanks so much for the kind words! I just visited your site, it’s beautiful!

• Reply Gabriel Bregg Nov 24, 2016 at 5:47 pm

Margaritas are such a great base to make an endless array of drinks with. This looks great.

• Reply Eloise Nov 24, 2016 at 9:26 pm

now that’s a drink I would love to try! I’ll have to keep this in mind for future parties, thanks for sharing!

• Reply Krystal Nov 25, 2016 at 3:08 am

If I go to a restaurant and see watermelon margaritas, I almost always order it! It is such a fun combo, but I love it even more that you can make it at home. yUM!

• Reply Marielle Altenor Nov 27, 2016 at 3:09 pm

We always buy Tropicana® Watermelon in our home but I never thought to mix it like that! That’s going to be my summer recipe for drinks!

• Reply lovelysilvia Nov 28, 2016 at 12:18 am

This drink looks and sounds delicious! I was thinking of making a Sangria for the upcoming holiday seasons but I just may have to try this instead.

Silvia

• Reply mrsmuffintop Nov 29, 2016 at 11:07 am

This looks like it should have been on my rotation ages ago. But more importantly: how can I get invited to one of your parties?!?! 🙂

• Reply 20 Refreshing Christmas Cocktails to Help You Enjoy Holiday Parties Dec 8, 2016 at 7:00 am

[…] Watermelon Margarita Recipe | Posh Journal […]

• Reply Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen Dec 12, 2016 at 5:14 pm

Oh wow! This looks really good and your photos are amazing!!