Here’s a delicious, roasted garbanzo beans salad with refreshing and tangy veggies that make it unforgettable. This is a high protein salad that will actually fill you up. I added fresh curly parsley, mint, tomatoes, red onions and a surprise ingredient of goji berries, with a refreshing homemade sumac honey-lemon salad dressing.
Roasted garbanzo beans are my favorite healthy snack and bring a nice texture and taste for a salad. Garbanzo beans are filling and low in saturated fat and cholesterol, but contain high amounts of folate and manganese. Garbanzo beans have long been valued for their fiber and protein content. I would recommend buying Garbanzo beans with no salt, added and if you are buying canned Garbanzo beans, be sure to look for a BPA-FREE 0r Non BPA lining can.
I roasted the Garbanzo beans in light olive oil, salt and sumac powder. Sumac powder has tangy lemon flavor, yet it is more balanced and less tart than lemon juice.
Sumac is a very popular condiment in Turkey and Iran and is an essential ingredient in Middle Eastern cooking. Purchase sumac from Amazon.com or at many international markets. I bought my Sadaf Sumac Powder (pure sumac without any other ingredients) at local market for less than $5 per 12.5 oz.
- 1 can Garbanzo Beans wash and drain, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or use olive oil cooking spray to help cut back the calories/fat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sumac powder
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- black pepper
Preheat the oven to 425F
In a bowl, toss garbanzo beans/chickpeas with olive oil and season to taste with salt, sumac, garlic and black pepper
Spread on a baking sheet
Roast the garbanzo beans for 10-15 minutes. Watch carefully to avoid burning
You may also cook the chickpeas a bit longer to make them crispier
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or more according to your liking
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sumac or more according to your liking
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper
In a small bowl, whisk together all of the above ingredients.
Serve immediately or keep it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh parsley chopped finely
- 1/2 cup fresh tomatoes halved or quartered
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh red onion thinly sliced
- 15 oz roasted garbanzo beans
- 2 cups cooked whole grains ( such as mixed couscous quinoa or lentils)
- 2 tablespoons dried goji berries
- fresh avocados chopped
- Sumac Honey Lemon Dressing
- Like many salads this one is very customizable so feel free to remove parsley, etc. or add other ingredients to your liking.
Arrange all the ingredients above in a large salad bowl
Drizzle with sumac honey lemon dressing and mix well
You can also make this salad for the next day and keep it the fridge for up to 24 hours.
Pour the salad dressing when you are ready to eat.