The Classic Baked Mac and Cheese with ultra cheesy sauce and topped with crispy buttery breadcrumb. It's the perfect side dish that goes well with any weeknight or holiday meal. It's so tasty and comforting! Kids and adults will enjoy it!
Skip boxed Mac and Cheese and make your own at home today! This Baked Mac and Cheese recipe is so good and easy to prepare!
Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese
Mac and Cheese (aka macaroni and cheese) is one of my favorite comfort foods.
If you're on a health kick and don't have these delights often I think this one is worth every counted calorie! The crisp topping and unique cheesy taste separate it from the rest. So here's my favorite Baked Mac and Cheese recipe!
The Best Baked Mac and Cheese, Ever!
This Mac n Cheese is loaded with perfectly cooked elbow macaroni and creamy cheese sauce. It's a basic Mac and Cheese that you can serve with any toppings you like, such as lobster, bacon, or crab.
The Best Ingredients for Creamy Macaroni and Cheese:
To make this oven-baked mac n cheese, you will need the following ingredients:
- Small elbow macaroni
- Heavy cream
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Gruyere cheese
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Mustard powder
- Black Pepper
How to Bake Macaroni and Cheese to Perfection:
This baked Mac and Cheese is so easy to put together. Here are some easy steps that you need to do:
Step 1. Cook the pasta and drain really well.
Step 2. Make the béchamel sauce by combining butter, all-purpose flour, heavy cream, and milk until silky smooth and creamy.
Step 3. Add spices and add cheese into the sauce.
Step 4. Combine cheesy sauce with pasta.
Step 5. Transfer the macaroni and cheese sauce mixture to a deep 9-inch or any medium-size baking dish.
Step 6. Mix melted butter with breadcrumbs and sprinkle evenly on top of the pasta and cheese mixture.
Step 7. Bake in the oven just until the cheese is melted.
Tips to Make the Best Mac and Cheese:
#1. Do not overcook the pasta
I recommend cooking the pasta for 1-2 minutes less than the direction. Drain well then add about ½ tablespoon of butter or oil into pasta to prevent them from sticking together.
#2. Use freshly grated cheese.
Buy a block of cheese and shred it with a grater. It tastes better and cheaper than pre-shredded cheese.
Do not use pre-shredded cheese because they contain preservatives like potato starch to keep them from clumping together. This anti-caking agent makes the cheese shreds don't melt together. As a result, the sauce turns grainy and gritty.
#3. Use warm milk and heavy cream
Using warm milk and heavy cream creates a smooth and fully blended sauce. Simply warm the milk and heavy cream for about 1-2 minutes in the microwave right before adding to the roux mixture.
#4. Gradually add the milk and heavy cream and stir constantly!
How To Make Baked Mac and Cheese Ahead of Time:
You can make this Baked Mac and Cheese recipe ahead of time. Here's how to do it:
- Make sure that the elbow macaroni pasta has completely drained and cooled down.
- Pour in the cheese sauce into the pasta and mix well.
- Add buttered panko breadcrumbs.
- Transfer to a baking dish, cover tightly with foil.
- Put in the fridge for 1-2 days ahead or freeze.
How to Store Leftover Baked Mac and Cheese:
You can put the leftover in the fridge or freeze.
First, you need to cool the leftover mac and cheese completely. After that, store it in separate individual serving containers for easy reheating.
Properly stored, it will be safe to keep in the fridge for 3-5 days or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Check Out More Delicious Side Dish Recipes
- ROASTED SWEET POTATOES
- INSTANT POT MASHED SWEET POTATOES
- ROASTED YELLOW SQUASH WITH PARMESAN CHEESE AND HERBS
- INSTANT POT COLCANNON – IRISH MASHED POTATOES
- ROASTED BABY POTATOES WITH ROSEMARY AND GARLIC
- MOROCCAN COUSCOUS WITH CURRANTS AND PINE NUTS
- ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH PANCETTA AND APPLE
- HASSELBACK BUTTERNUT SQUASH WITH BROWN BUTTER SAGE
- CAULIFLOWER STUFFING (LOW CARB AND HERBY)
- BUTTERNUT SQUASH GRATIN
Check Out These Tasty Main Dish Recipes
- HEALTHY BAKED CHICKEN TENDERS
- TARRAGON CHICKEN
- CHICKEN CHASSEUR (FRENCH HUNTER’S CHICKEN)
- OVEN-BAKED CHICKEN BREAST
- CRISPY GRILLED CHICKEN WINGS
- GRILLED CHICKEN BREAST
- CHINESE ROASTED CHICKEN WITH A 3-INGREDIENT SPICE RUB)
- HARISSA CHICKEN RECIPE – OVEN ROASTED!
- CREAMY CHICKEN MARSALA
Baked Mac and Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water 1 minute less than the direction for al dente (cooked through but still firm). Drain well, add butter/oil. Set aside.
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, stirring constantly until it turns pale brown for about 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually pour in milk and cream, whisking constantly for about 4-5 minutes or until béchamel sauce is thick and coats the back of a spoon. Turn off the heat.
- Add spices and cheeses. Stir to combine. The cheese doesn't need to melt.
- Pour the cheese sauce into pasta, stir to combine.
- Transfer the macaroni and cheese mixture into a medium-size baking dish (about 9-inch), sprinkle topping evenly over macaroni with panko breadcrumb, melted butter, and salt mixture.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden and bubbling. If the pasta becomes bubbly before the top is golden, continue cooking under the broiler for a minute or two to crisp the topping.