This post is sponsored by Foster Farms Air Chilled Chicken but the content and opinions expressed here are my own
These crispy grilled chicken wings are simple, easy, and delicious! The wings are seasoned beautifully with the homemade spice rub, made of basic pantry ingredients. This is the ultimate chicken wings recipe for home grillers to make all summer long. It's also a great chicken recipe for any weeknight dinner throughout the year.
In this post, you will learn how to get crispy skin on grilled chicken wings that taste just like or even better than deep-fried wings! These wings are made with very little oil, meaning fewer calories.
Why You'll Love This Crispy Grilled Chicken Wings Recipe
- Crispy Skin and Tender Meat. The meat is so tender and moist on the inside while crispy on the outside. It’s the perfect crispy chicken wings recipe without all of the oil and deep-frying!
- Flavorful. Buffalo chicken wings taste great and are quite popular but I think it's time to try something new with this recipe. These chicken wings are seasoned with a unique spice blend that you can easily find in your pantry or at local grocers.
What Makes These Grilled Chicken Wings Taste Great?
These chicken wings taste great because of the seasoning and the good quality of the meat. The homemade seasoning or rub spice is made of black peppercorn, five-spice powder, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, brown sugar, salt, and oil.
This combination of spices adds complex flavors to the wings, yet does not overpower them. It just has a nice balance of saltiness, and sweetness, with both peppery and smoky flavors.
In this recipe, I used Foster Farm's new Simply Raised Air-Chilled Chicken as the star ingredient.
Air-chilling is a method for cooling chicken during processing, which results in benefits that include better taste and texture, and faster cooking time. Since excess water is not absorbed during air-chilling (in comparison to water-chilled chicken,) the natural juices in the air-chilled chicken are not diluted and the texture is unaltered. This leads to more flavorful and tender pieces of meat.
You can learn more about Foster Farm's new Simply Raised Air-Chilled Chicken here.
Crisp the Chicken With Baking Powder
I added baking powder as a secret ingredient to achieve truly crispy and restaurant-style chicken wings without deep frying. It's the same baking powder that people use as a leavening agent in baked goods.
Combining baking powder and salt helps break down the protein and draws out the moisture in the wings' skin. As a result, the skin will be crispy while the meat remains moist.
Please note, do not substitute baking powder with baking soda as it will make the chicken taste bad when used in excessive amounts or cooked too long at high temperatures.
- Drying. Make sure to pat dry the chicken wings before mixing them with seasoning and baking powder.
- Marinating. Arrange the chicken wings on a prepared baking sheet and chill in the fridge for at least 8 hours or up to overnight. You want to chill them uncovered, so be sure to put them in the safest place in the fridge, away from fresh produce to avoid cross-contamination. If you don't have enough space in the fridge, feel free to marinate in an airtight container or a large zip-lock bag.
- Let it sit out. Make sure to bring the wings close to room temperature for about 15 minutes before cooking.
Can You Bake These Chicken Wings?
Of course! You can bake these chicken wings in the oven at 425°F or even use any kitchen gadgets, such as an air fryer or an electric pressure cooker.
Whatever cooking method you choose, this chicken wing recipe will never fail you!
Check Out More Delicious Chicken Recipes
- Healthy Baked Chicken Tenders
- Chicken Shawarma (oven-roasted + Instant Pot)
- Oven-Baked Chicken Breast
- Harissa Chicken Recipe
- Creamy Chicken Masala
- Dry Rub Chicken Wings (oven-baked + Instant Pot)
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Roasted Half Chicken
I hope you'll enjoy this recipe and share it with friends! If you try it and don’t mind, please leave me a comment and/or give this recipe a rating. Be sure to subscribe to receive weekly recipes and follow me on Pinterest.
Crispy Grilled Chicken Wings
- 2 pounds Foster Farms Simply Raised Party Wings , (Pat the wings dry with paper towels)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon five-spice powder
- ¾ tablespoon ground cumin
- ¾ tablespoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil, (and more to oil your grill)
- 1 tablespoon fresh whole black peppercorns, (crushed)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, (or use ¼ teaspoon less salt per 2 pounds of chicken if you are salt-sensitive)
- In a small bowl, add dry rub ingredients (including the oil) and mix well. Place the party wings into a ziplock bag or large mixing bowl. Add dry rub and massage it all over the party wings.
- Put the wings in a single-layer prepared baking sheet in your fridge, uncovered for at least 8 hours and up to overnight (preferably). *see notes*
- Remove the wings from the fridge. Bring the wings close to the room temperature for about 15 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat the grill over medium heat. Oil your grill, add wings, and cook. Flip the wings every 5 minutes for a total of 20-25 minutes of cooking time or until fully cooked and no longer pink.