A very comforting crock pot chicken stew with vegetables and white wine. It is an easy chicken recipe that you can make ahead of time and eat later. This chicken stew in a slow cooker is a perfect meal for the busy person that still wants to make restaurant quality dishes, even if just to enjoy by yourself. That said, I guarantee that this dish will also impress your guests!
In the past few days I finally got back to cooking slow cooker recipes and made this delicious Crock Pot Chicken Stew with white wine.
Crock Pot Braised Chicken
This slow cooker chicken stew recipe consists of chicken thighs that were browned beforehand, then cooked with vegetables and aromatic spices in white wine.
It's a very simple dish that offers big flavors. The chicken falls right off the bones, and each bite has a great blend of chicken, veggies and the flavorful spices and wine.
It’s hard to pinpoint the taste of this recipe. With the white wine it has some elements of France (which can also be influenced by the type of wine you use).
The chicken is so tender that it reminds me of a chicken Osso Bucco, and the hearty vegetables I used always remind me of a good hearty American stew.
Labels aren’t important though, taste is what matters and this tastes over the top delicious.
How to Make Chicken Stew in a Slow Cooker
In this recipe, I browned the chicken and cook the vegetables until translucent to add flavors to the stew.
However, if you want to save time, feel free to skip the step 1 and 2. This recipe still works by dumping everything straight into the slow cooker.
Step 1. Brown the Chicken Legs
If you have time, I highly recommend browning the chicken legs beforehand to enhance the flavors of the dish.
Here's how to do it:
- First, season the chicken legs with kosher salt and black pepper. Marinate for about 15 minutes.
- Add flour, toss to coat.
- Heat about 4 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Working in multiple batches, fry the chicken until golden underneath, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Transfer the browned chicken to a slow cooker.
Step 2. Cook the aromatic base
This is also optional.
In the same skillet, cook onion, carrot, celery for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute. Transfer the vegetables to a slow cooker.
Step 3. Slow Cook
Add the remaining ingredients into a slow cooker. Cook on low for about 6-8 hours.
Check Out More Chicken Recipes:
FAQ and Cooking Tips
You can use any white wine that isn't sweet and with a high acidity, such as Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Pinot Gris, Pinot Blanc.
If the stew is too watery, you can mix an equal amount of water and cornstarch or flour with softened butter to make a slurry, then stir in into the stew.
Keep the leftovers in an airtight container. Properly stored, it can last 3-4 days in the fridge or about 4-6 months in the freezer.
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below! I'd appreciate it.
Crock Pot Chicken Stew with White Wine
- a slow cooker
Mirepoix - A Flavor Base
- 1½ cup diced yellow onion
- 3 carrots, (diced)
- 3 celery ribs , (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves, (smashed)
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 sage leaves
- Season the chicken legs with salt and black pepper. Let them sit for 15 minutes. Add flour, toss to coat then shake off the excess flour.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken legs for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add onion, celery, and carrot into the skillet. Cook and keep stirring for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients into a slow cooker. Cook on low for about 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.