Easy Boiled Lobster with Garlic Lemon Butter Dip Sauce

Here’s a quick recipe for easy boiled lobsters with melted butter, garlic, chives, parsley and lemon. The lobster came out tasting delicious and it was almost zero prep time.

It’s funny because Saturday is supposedly my lazy day and I had no plans of cooling today!  We were actually craving tuna burritos from our favorite Mexican joint, but while buying dragon fruit at the local market I spotted some live, wild caught lobsters.  They were big and priced right… next thing I know I’m home boiling them in a salted boil water. The cooking process for lobsters is so simple and the result is amazing!  My husband and kids were pretty surprised to see me cooking up lobster but definitely enjoyed them for lunch.  I often think of lobster as fine dining, or something that I should be cooking up only when having special dinner guests.  After cooking them on a whim so quickly and with such little effort I can definitely foresee us having more lobster lunches in the near future!

boiled lobster with garlic lemon butter dip sauce

With lobster’s higher sodium and cholesterol levels it’s not something you should to consume every day.  Lobster does however act as a good source of protein, vitamins and minerals.  It’s good to strike up a conversation with the people at your markets to learn where your seafood is sourced from, and any other additional information they’re willing to share.  Keep in mind that one market may have better fish while another may have better shellfish.  Being in a coastal city we sometimes have seafood vendors at our local farmers markets, but they’re oftentimes sold out within the first hour or two.  Boiling lobster is a little quicker and the meat comes out of the shell more readily that when steamed. Hope you’d enjoy this boiled lobster recipe!

boiled lobster with garlic lemon butter dip sauce

Easy Boiled Lobster with Lemon Garlic Butter Dip Sauce
Prep Time
2 mins
Cook Time
8 mins
Total Time
10 mins

To dispatch a Live Lobster Humanely : Put the live lobster in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to numb it.
Servings: 2
Author: Posh Journal
Ingredients
  • 1 lbs lobster about 1 1/2 - 1/14
  • water
  • salt
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 teaspoon garlic
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
  • 1 teaspoons fresh Italian parsley
Instructions
  1. Pick a large pot, if you do not have one, cook lobsters in batches
  2. Fill a large pot with 2/3 full of water and add about 1-2 tablespoons per gallon.
  3. Bring water to a boil over hight heat
  4. Place the lobster and cook for about 8-9 minutes for a 1 1/4 lb lobster or 9-10 minutes for a 1 1/2 lb lobster. When properly cooked, lobster meat is a creamy white color all the way through with no translucent areas.
  5. Remove the lobster immediately from the pot to stop the cooking process, then set aside to cool in an ice bath.
  6. For dipping sauce: Melt the butter in a sauce pan and add herbs, then quickly remove from the heat.

• Reply HedgeComber Oct 31, 2016 at 2:23 am

Oh, I love lobster! Perfect recipe, thanks for sharing 🙂
    Janie x

• Reply Bintu (@recipespantry) Oct 31, 2016 at 2:31 am

Nothing nicer than a fresh lobster with gorgeous garlic butter. This looks amazing

• Reply shashi at runninsrilankan Oct 31, 2016 at 3:14 am

I think of lobster as fine dining too – and never made it – on a whim or even for an elegant dinner so I sure do appreciate you breaking down the process! Gorgeous photos!

• Reply Everyday Sarah Jane Oct 31, 2016 at 3:36 am

One can never say no to a lobster dinner. Am I right or am I right? This one looks easy and delicious…perfection!

• Reply Alli Rutherford Smith Nov 2, 2016 at 3:04 am

Lobster is one of my favorite foods for date night. I’ve never made it at home, but I have a lobster dish I’ve been wanting to try. Looks delish!

• Reply Mimi Green Nov 2, 2016 at 5:08 am

I so wanted to lick my screen right now. This looks delicious, my lunch never looks this good.

I always thought cooking lobster was hard so Ive never tried it.

• Reply Jeanette Nov 2, 2016 at 6:52 am

WOW! Just WOW! I don’t even like sea food but I still want to eat this off my screen!

• Reply Jenn Nov 2, 2016 at 7:15 am

Lobster is my very favorite food. I don;t have it very often, maybe once every two years. Mainly because I have never cooked one myself. This sounds amazing.

• Reply Paula Schuck Nov 2, 2016 at 7:34 am

That looks so good! Lobster is one of my favorites, and I love how simple this recipe is.

• Reply Jenn @ EngineerMommy Nov 2, 2016 at 9:22 am

There’s nothing like a meal of lobster. This dipping sauce sounds and looks absolutely delicious. I can’t wait to try this recipe.

• Reply Pam Wattenbarger Nov 2, 2016 at 12:04 pm

i love lobster but I have never made it myself. I had no idea it was so simple.

• Reply ohnikkashae Nov 2, 2016 at 12:51 pm

I love lobster! Lobster pizza, lobster bisque, and lobster rolls!! I will be making your recipe soon!!

• Reply Karen Clough Nov 2, 2016 at 1:16 pm

Your pictures are stunning! I love lobster but have never made it myself before. Thanks for the recipe!

• Reply brandyellen Nov 2, 2016 at 1:18 pm

We love lobster and this is such an easy way to make it up! I am going to give it a try!

• Reply Shannon Graham Nov 2, 2016 at 2:08 pm

This isn’t hard to make at all! My husband would love me forever if he came home to lobster lol

• Reply Dawn McAlexander Nov 2, 2016 at 5:32 pm

I do love lobster. This looks so good. It’s the dipping sauce that is really getting me. It has my mouth watering.

• Reply Karlyn Flores Nov 3, 2016 at 3:12 am

Wow! I really love seafood especially lobster. Yum it makes me craving for lobster

• Reply Parpar de Real Nov 3, 2016 at 3:13 am

Omg. I am a huge fan of seafood and Lobster is my favorite. It makes me hungry

• Reply Chubskulit Rose Nov 3, 2016 at 4:08 am

I love seafood, lobster included and this makes me salivate lol. That looks super tasty and I am starving!

• Reply Dina Demarest (@dinade) Nov 3, 2016 at 6:06 am

that looks delicious! I’ve been debating making lobster tails in my instant pot. Maybe I should try the whole lobster!

• Reply Valerie Ratliff Nov 3, 2016 at 10:08 am

This looks delicious. I haven”t had Lobster in years. My hubby won’t eat it.

• Reply Bonnie Gowen Nov 3, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Great recipe! My mom loves Lobster. I should make this for her soon.