This creamy pasta sauce recipe is easy to make and has a secret ingredients to boost the pasta sauce flavor, anchovy paste. You can find the pre-made anchovy paste at any grocery markets and it’s very inexpensive. It’s so versatile, you can use anchovy paste for enhancing flavor in everything from pasta to soups. Because it’s so potent, you only need a small dose per recipe. Most anchovy pastes available in the market are made from ground anchovy fillets, water, olive oil, vinegar. They can come with or without sugar. Don’t worry, your pasta sauce will not taste fishy, something I was afraid of the first time around. If anchovy paste isn’t for you no worries, simply proceed with the rest of the ingredients, ratios and steps and you’ll be enjoying a scrumptious creamy tomato pasta sauce too.
I chose fusilli because that was the only pasta available in my pantry this week, but I am pleased with the result. Feel free to use any of the pasta of your choice, such as: Spaghetti, Liguini, Penne, Farfalle, Bucatini, Orecchiette, angel hair, pasta shells, etc..
I hope you enjoy this creamy pasta sauce recipe! It hasn’t been passed down from generation to generation or anything like that, but I’ve enjoyed it a few times in my home and wanted to share. Let me know how it works out for you!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound fully cooked chicken sausage
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 - 1 ½ teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 can (14.5 oz) San Marzano style tomatoes diced
- ¾ teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 oz heavy cream choose Organic, like Horizon brand
- 1 tablespoon butter optional
- ¼ teaspoon salt or more according to your liking
- black pepper to taste
- 1 pound uncooked pasta
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
- Prepare pasta according to package directions or until al dente, drain.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a saucepan, add sausage and cook until browned for about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil, then saute onion and garlic over medium heat until tender.
- Add anchovy paste and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, sugar, italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to boil until the sauce is evaporated and thicken for about 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, stir in whipping cream and butter. Cook for 2 more minutes
- Add the cooked pasta, cooked sausage and spinach. Cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Remove from the stove and serve immediately.