Instant Pot Colcannon aka Irish mashed potatoes with cabbage. This traditional Irish mashed potatoes side-dish goes well with any meat or vegetable, especially corned beef! It is a great side dish to serve on St. Patrick's Day or any weeknight for dinner.
Celebrate St. Patrick's Day with an Irish-inspired dish like this Colcannon.
This creamy mashed potato with cabbage side-dish is made in an electric pressure cooker or Instant Pot. It's so rich, creamy, easy to make, and full of flavors.
Everyone loves a comforting side dish, and this is the perfect pairing for corned beef or shepherd's pie.
What is Colcannon
Colcannon is a traditional Irish side dish.
It's commonly made with only four ingredients: potatoes, butter, milk, and kale or cabbage.
Instant Pot Colcannon
In this recipe, I am going to show you how to make a super tasty Colcannon recipe from scratch using an electric pressure cooker, such as Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi.
By using an Instant Pot or similar electric pressure cooker, you can cook this creamy side dish faster than in a conventional stove, and without any sacrifice on taste.
What is Colcannon Made of?
This Irish Colcannon is made of russet potatoes, scallions, green cabbage, butter, broth, milk or heavy cream, salt, and pepper.
If you are not a big fan of cabbage, you may use curly kale as a replacement ingredient.
Green Cabbage: I used about 4 cups of shredded green cabbage in this recipe. The cabbage really compliments the potatoes without overpowering the overall taste.
Heavy Cream: The traditional Colcannon called for milk as one of the ingredients, though I personally like a creamier texture mashed potatoes.
I, therefore, used heavy cream instead of milk. You can also use a combination of milk and heavy cream, or milk and sour cream.
Basically, don't be afraid to experiment with different types of daily products based on availability.
It may not be as authentic as the traditional Irish way, but do what works for you.
How to Cook Irish Colcannon in an Instant Pot:
I have to admit that I love cooking using electric pressure cookers like an Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi.
Pressure cookers are energy efficient, especially in comparison to cooking with a conventional oven or stovetop.
It cooks my food much more quickly, meaning that I don't have to spend a lot of wasted time in the kitchen. It's a great kitchen tool on any weeknight or celebration!
So here are some important steps to follow.
Step 1. Cook the Cabbage and Scallions
Turn on the IP and select the "saute" setting. When the IP displays "Hot", you can melt the butter.
Add shredded green cabbage, and diced green onions. Continue to cook until the vegetables start to wilt.
Step 2. Deglaze
Add about ¼ cup of broth then deglaze by scraping the bottom of the pan to make sure there is nothing stuck on it
Step 3. Add the Remaining Ingredients, except Heavy Cream
Add diced potatoes, broth, and salt into the pot.
Be sure to dice the potatoes in small pieces so the potatoes will be tender by cooking them at high pressure for only 5 minutes.
Step 4. Pressure Cook
Close the lid and select the "Manual" setting. Cook for 5 minutes then do a quick release after the pressure cooking is done.
Step 5. Mash the Potatoes and Add Heavy Cream
Use a hand masher to mash the potatoes. Do not go too deep or hit the bottom of the pot. This is important as you should only mash the potatoes, not the cabbage.
Transfer the mashed potatoes and cabbage into a large bowl. Stir in the heavy cream.
Colcannon FAQ and Cooking Tips
Russet and Yukon potatoes are the best for mashed potatoes.
You can cook this Colcannon on the stove. Here's how:
Step 1. Put the potatoes in a medium pot and cover with cold water by 2 inches and add 2 tbsp of salt. Cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
Step 2. Melt butter, cook scallions and cabbage over medium-high heat for 2 minutes or until they are wilted.
Step 3. Transfer all of the ingredients into a large bowl and use a hand masher to mash the potatoes. Season with salt and black pepper if necessary.
First, let the colcannon cool before sealing up in the airtight container. Do not leave out more than 1 hour. Properly stored it can last up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Transfer the leftover colcannon into a baking dish. Cover loosely with foil and cook for 30 minutes at 375°F or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Check Out More Easy Instant Pot Recipes
- INSTANT POT GOULASH
- INSTANT POT QUESO DIP RECIPE
- INSTANT POT HAMBURGER HELPER
- INSTANT POT CARNITAS – MEXICAN PULLED PORK
- INSTANT POT BEEF STROGANOFF
- INSTANT POT BRISKET AKA PULLED BEEF FOR SLIDERS!
- INSTANT POT BEEF SHORT RIBS – BONELESS!
- INSTANT POT GREAT NORTHERN BEAN SOUP
- INSTANT POT ITALIAN SAUSAGE KALE SOUP
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below! I'd appreciate it.
Instant Pot Colcannon - Irish Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, (dice into small pieces, about 2 cm each)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, (and more for serving)
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage, (about ½ medium-size cabbage)
- 4 stalks green onion, (white and green parts, chopped)
- ⅔ cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup heavy cream or milk
- black pepper, (to taste)
- Press the “Sauté” function key. Select a temperature with the “Adjust” key for “Normal”. When Instant Pot reaches the given working temperature, it displays “Hot” and you can start sautéing.
- Melt the butter, then add shredded green cabbage, and diced green onions. Continue to cook until the vegetables start to wilt.
- Add about ¼ cup of broth then deglaze by scraping the bottom of the pan to make sure there is nothing stuck on it (this will help to prevent burning).
- Add diced potatoes, broth, and salt into the pot. Press "Keep Warm/Cancel". Close the lid and make sure the pressure release valve is in the SEAL position.
- Set the pressure cooker to "Manual", and set timer to "5", then do a quick release after the pressure cooking is done.
- Mash the potatoes: You can do this by gently pushing the hand blender into the pot, do not go to deep or hit the bottom of the pot. This is important as you should only mash the potatoes, not the cabbage.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes and cabbage into a large bowl. Add heavy cream and stir. Season to taste with additional salt if needed.
- Serve with melted butter and enjoy!