This Instant Pot Goulash is a delicious one-pot meal that brings comfort food for the whole family. It's also known as American Chop Suey, American Goulash, Johnny Marzetti, Slumgullion, Hamburger Casserole (or whatever you else want to call it!). This American Goulash is delicious, filling, nutritious, and is very inexpensive to make.
Don't know what to make for a last-minute dinner? Try this old fashioned goulash, made using a pressure cooker. This Instant Pot Goulash is a classic family recipe that is loaded with real ingredients and flavors. You only need to cook this dish for 3-4 minutes at high pressure. It makes it the perfect easy dinner recipe for any busy weeknight.
American Goulash vs Hungarian Goulash:
Goulash is a soup of meat and vegetables usually seasoned with paprika and other spices. It has origins from Hungary and is popular in other eastern European countries, too. The traditional Hungarian goulash is most often similar to beef stew. It contains huge chunks of meat, cooked with vegetables and without pasta (the biggest difference from my recipe is that I do have pasta added in).
This American goulash isn't quite the same as Hungarian goulash. It's considered a pasta dish with extra sauce instead of a stew. It contains elbow macaroni pasta and actually tastes quite similar to lasagna without the ricotta cheese. The goulash will look watery after pressure cooking. Don't worry! The liquid will thicken as it is fully absorbed by the macaroni.
This version of goulash is made using an instant pot. This recipe also works with other similar electric pressure cookers, such as Ninja Foodi.
Instant Pot Goulash Ingredients:
This Instant Pot American Goulash contains elbow macaroni pasta simmered with ground beef, onion, garlic, green bell pepper, Italian seasoning, oregano, basil, soy sauce, Wosterchire sauce, and tomato-based sauce. It can be served with or without cheese, such as cheddar cheese. This goulash recipe reminds me of this popular Instant Pot Hamburger Helper recipe that I posted a while ago.
CHECK OUT THESE HIGH-RATED INSTANT POT RECIPES:
- INSTANT POT QUESO DIP RECIPE
- INSTANT POT HAMBURGER HELPER
- INSTANT POT CARNITAS – MEXICAN PULLED PORK
- INSTANT POT BEEF STROGANOFF
- INSTANT POT BRISKET AKA PULLED BEEF FOR SLIDERS!
- INSTANT POT BEEF SHORT RIBS – BONELESS!
- INSTANT POT GREAT NORTHERN BEAN SOUP
- INSTANT POT ITALIAN SAUSAGE KALE SOUP
How to Make Goulash in an Instant Pot:
To make Goulash using an electric pressure cooker is actually quite easy. Here are some of the most important steps to follow:
· First, I cooked the aromatic spices and vegetables until just tender or starting to sweat.
· Second, I put the spices and vegetables to the side of the pot, then add ground beef. I cooked the beef just until brown (for about 4-5 minutes).
· Third, I added a small portion of the broth to deglaze. I scraped the bottom of the pot to make sure that there is nothing stuck and to prevent burning, then added some extra seasoning, such as soy sauce, Wosterschire sauce, salt, etc.
· Lastly, I added the uncooked elbow macaroni to the pot and then the tomato-based products, and cooked everything at high pressure for 3-4 minutes (depending on how hard or soft you want to noodles to be).
Please keep in mind that I used larger size elbow macaroni for this recipe. You can use the smaller elbow macaroni and just adjust the time to 2-3 minutes to get the perfect texture of pasta at the end.
Remember that the cooking time listed in this recipe is not how long the recipe will take. The cook time starts when the cooker reaches full pressure. Generally, an instant pot will take 5-15 minutes (depending on a variety of factors) to reach pressure before the cooking time will begin to count down minute by minute.
Instant Pot Goulash
- 1 pound ground beef ( 85% lean/15% fat)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon ground paprika
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoon Wosterchire sauce
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1½ cups large elbow macaroni
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce, (no salt added)
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes, (no salt added)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , (to serve)
- Press the “Sauté” function key. Select a temperature with the “Adjust” key for “Normal”. When Instant Pot reaches the given working temperature, it displays “Hot” and you can start sautéing.
- Heat the oil, then onion and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and stir for about 1 minute.
- Push the vegetables to the side of the pan then add ground beef. Leave it undisturbed for about 1-2 minutes, then start stirring, continue cooking with the other ingredients for 2 minutes.
- Add Italian seasoning, basil, oregano, bay leaves, and ground paprika. Stir for 30 seconds.
- Add soy sauce, Wosterchire sauce, 1 cup of beef broth, salt, and black pepper. Then deglaze by scraping the bottom of the pan to make sure there is nothing stuck on it to prevent burning.
- Add the remaining broth (2 cups) then add uncooked macaroni to the pan, spread evenly by gently press down the pasta with the back of the slotted spoon. DO NOT STIR IN!
- Add tomato sauce and diced tomatoes into the pot.
- Close the lid and make sure the pressure release valve is in the SEAL position.
- Cook at high pressure for 3 minutes (al dente) or 4 minutes (soft). If you are going to use smaller elbow macaroni pasta, reduce the cooking time to 2 minutes (al dente) or 3 minutes (soft). If you find the pasta is still too tough for your liking, you can close the lid and set the pressure cooker to "Manual", and set timer to "O", then do a quick release after the pressure cooking is done.
- Once the pressure cooking is complete, do a quick release and turn off the pressure cooker immediately to to prevent the pasta from overcooking. Stir the mixture. Don't worry the liquid will thicken as it is fully absorbed by the macaroni.
- Serve in a pasta bowl and add cheddar cheese if needed.