Here's a delicious, roasted garbanzo beans salad with refreshing and tangy veggies that make it unforgettable. This is a high protein salad that will actually fill you up.
I added fresh curly parsley, mint, tomatoes, red onions and a surprise ingredient of goji berries, with a refreshing homemade sumac honey-lemon salad dressing.
Garbanzo beans are filling and low in saturated fat and cholesterol, but contain high amounts of folate and manganese. Garbanzo beans have long been valued for their fiber and protein content. I would recommend buying Garbanzo beans with no salt, added and if you are buying canned Garbanzo beans, be sure to look for a BPA-FREE 0r Non BPA lining can.
How I Roast Garbanzo Beans:
Roasted garbanzo beans are my favorite healthy snack and bring a nice texture and taste for a salad.
I roasted the Garbanzo beans in light olive oil, salt and sumac powder. Sumac powder has tangy lemon flavor, yet it is more balanced and less tart than lemon juice.
What is Sumac:
Sumac is a very popular condiment in Turkey and Iran and is an essential ingredient in Middle Eastern cooking. Purchase sumac from Amazon.com or at many international markets. I bought my Sadaf Sumac Powder (pure sumac without any other ingredients) at local market for less than $5 per 12.5 oz.
Make ahead Salad:
You can also make this salad for the next day and keep it the fridge for up to 24 hours. Pour the salad dressing when you are ready to eat.
Roasted Garbanzo Beans with Sumac Honey Lemon Salad Dressing
Roasted Garbanzo Beans:
- 1 ½ cups fresh parsley, chopped finely
- ½ cup fresh tomatoes, halved or quartered
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- ⅓ cup fresh red onion, thinly sliced
- fresh avocados, chopped
Sumac Lemon Dressing:
- 1½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon freshly chopped thyme
- 2 cups cooked whole grains , ( such as mixed couscous, quinoa or lentils)
- optional: 2 tablespoon dried goji berries
Roast the Garbanzo Beans:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F
- In a bowl, toss garbanzo beans/chickpeas with olive oil and season to taste with salt, sumac, garlic, and black pepper
- Spread on a baking sheet. Roast the garbanzo beans for 15 minutes or longer for crunchier result. Watch carefully to avoid burning.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the lemon zest, honey, and thyme. Whisk in the olive oil, season with salt, and pepper if needed.
To Build the Salad:
- Arrange all the ingredients above in a large salad bowl.
- Drizzle with sumac honey lemon dressing (start with 4 tablespoons and add more according to your liking), and mix well.
- Serve immediately.
- You can also make this salad for the next day and keep it the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- Pour the salad dressing when you are ready to eat.