This easy slow cooker chicken recipe is for just about anyone! I wasn't planning to cook this slow cooker chicken yesterday but found unused Thai Sweet Chili Sauce that I had purchased a while ago and thought why not create a simple chicken dish.
I used boneless and skinless chicken thighs and decided to add some fresh veggies in the last minute because I have enough broth/sauce to flavor more ingredients in my crockpot.
So feel free to skip the veggies if you have plans to cook them separately. With or without veggies won't affect the final result of the slow cooker recipe with sweet chili sauce and soy sauce flavors.
Another important note. Sweet chili sauce and soy sauce come in different varieties and brands. You may want to adjust the sweetness and saltiness according to your liking during the cooking process. You may also add a bit more honey for sweeter results.
For this slow cooker chicken recipe, I skipped the corn starch to have a lighter sauce consistency. I sometimes opt for a thicker sauce though, so for a more gravy-like consistency simply mix 1 ½ tablespoons corn starch + 1 ½ tablespoons cold water, then pour into a slow cooker.
Have a leftover slow cooker chicken? You can freeze this chicken for days!
Slow Cooker Chicken with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
- 2 pounds chicken thighs or chicken breast , (boneless and skinless)
- ½ cup Thai sweet chili sauce, Mae Ploy brand or any of your favorite Thai sweet chili sauce brands
- ½ cup soy sauce, (regular or low-sodium according to your liking)
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce, (optional, to add color and flavor)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, (minced)
- ½ teaspoon ginger, (grated)
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- 1½ cups mini carrots
- 1 ½ cups green beans
Optional : To give you a thicker, more gravy-like consistency
- 1 ½ tablespoons corn starch
- 1 ½ tablespoons cold water
- salt/pepper, to taste
- green onion, fresh, chopped
- In a small bowl, combine all of the sauce ingredients. Place chicken thighs and the sauce in a slow cooker.
- Cook for about 6 hours on low heat or about 3 hours on high heat if you are using chicken thighs or 3 hours on low heat if you are using chicken breast or until the meat is registered at 165°F.
- About 20-30 minutes before the cooking is done. Pour in the carrots and green beans.
- (optional - for a thicker sauce) Mix corn starch and cold water, add the mixture into slow cooker. Stir well.
- Season with salt, pepper, or brown sugar/honey if necessary and according to your liking.
Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen
It looks like such a tasty dish and sounds easy to cook.
About to cook this for my first time! At what step do you do the corn starch, can I do it at the beginning or wait until the end of cooking? (I'm sure you can tell I'm a beginner chef)
You can add the corn starch and water mixture right before serving (at the end of cooking). Add a small amount of cornstarch mixture at a time, stirring and checking until it reaches the desired consistency.
I also just fixed the error on the ingredients. I used chicken thighs and cook for 6 hours on low, if you are using chicken breast you only need to cook for 3 hours on low.
Please let me know if you have any questions.