Tofu Stir Fry with Soy Sauce, Garlic and Ginger

tofu stir fry

Tofu Stir Fry with Soy Sauce, Garlic and Ginger

Below is a delicious tofu stir fry, marinated in ginger, garlic and soy sauce.   It’s unique for tofu with its slightly smoky flavor.   Tofu is very high in fiber and protein, it’s also very affordable. For this stir fry tofu recipe, I used a package of extra firm tofu that I purchased from my local Trader’s Joe.  The firmer the tofu the better for many types of recipes, and I feel this one falls into that bucket.

How to Use this Tofu Stir Fry:

This stir fry tofu can be served hot as a main dish, then just fridge the remaining and serve it cold in a salad. This easy stir fry tofu recipe can be cooked with or without the marinating process. If you decide to marinade the tofu to boost the flavor, you can put the tofu in marinating sauce for just 10-15 minutes.

tofu stir fry

I use my favorite coconut oil by Nutiva to stir fry the tofu. You may also use canola oil or peanut oil.  I also used a combination of light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and sweet soy sauce for the tofu marinade.  Not to worry if you don’t have all of those.  The dark soy sauce gives the caramel color and is rich in flavor and less salty. Sweet soy sauce (aka Kecap Manis) is an Indonesian soy sauce with a sweet flavor. If you can’t find this at your local store, you may skip and replace with honey or agave nectar instead

tofu stir fry

How to Drain Tofu before Stir Fry:

cut the tofu into small cubes, lay flat on a cutting board and lined with paper towels to remove excess moisture OR  use EZ Tofu Press from Amazon – Removes Water from Tofu for Better Flavor and Texture.

Sti Fry Tofu with Garlic and Ginger
Author: Posh Journal
Ingredients
  • 3 cups extra firm tofu (cut into small cubes lay flat on a cutting board and lined with paper towels to remove excess moisture)
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 inch ginger
  • 5 inch Green Onions sliced into 1 pieces (green and white parts included)
  • 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce add more according to your liking
  • 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon sweet soy sauce/kecap manis (you may skip this add more agave/honey instead)
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon agave nectar/honey add more according to your liking
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 3 tablespoons coconut oil
  • Salt/Pepper
  • Thai red chili pepper
Instructions
  1. In a mixing bowl, combine soy sauces, rice vinegar, agave and coriander.
  2. In a frying pan/wok, melt 2 tablespoons of coconut oil over medium-high heat.
  3. Add tofu cubes and stir fry until the tofu turns brown on all sides for about 5-7 minutes. Transfer the tofu to the bowl and set aside.
  4. Melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil into a frying pan or wok.
  5. Add garlic, ginger, green onions (white part only) into the pan and cook until fragrant and shows ready.
  6. Put the tofu back into the pan and pour in the soy sauce mixture. Keep stirring until the tofu is well coated for about 7-10 minutes
  7. Add salt/pepper and soy sauce to add sweetness or saltiness, according your liking.
  8. Add green onions (green part only), stir for about one minute
  9. Serve and garnish with some fresh red chili pepper

delicious tofu stir-fry marinated in ginger, garlic and soy sauce. It’s unique for tofu with its slightly smoky flavor. Tofu is very high in fiber and protein, it’s also very affordable. For this tofu stir fry recipe, I used a package of extra firm tofu

• Reply Alli Rutherford Smith Sep 12, 2016 at 3:12 am

Your tofu stir fry with garlic ginger soy sauce looks delicious. I didn’t know there was a tofu press to get rid of extra water. I’ll have to check it out.

• Reply Jaclyn Anne Sep 12, 2016 at 5:09 am

This recipe sounds amazing! I have never actually prepared tofu at home but I always enjoy it at restaurants so I think I need to give this recipe a try, thanks!

• Reply Paula Schuck Sep 12, 2016 at 7:21 am

That sounds so good! I love tofu in stir fry. It soaks up all the great flavors. Thanks for this recipe.

• Reply Amanda Love Sep 12, 2016 at 7:32 am

This looks so good and what’s even better is that it’s super healthy! I really like the idea of using tofu, it’s light and it absorbs flavor easily.

• Reply brandyellen Sep 12, 2016 at 8:59 am

What an easy to make recipe, I will most certainly be giving this a try because I want to try tofu and see what it is all about. I have never had tofu ever.

• Reply lisa Sep 12, 2016 at 9:17 am

I have honestly never tried tofu before. This recipe looks really good and pretty easy to make!

• Reply jmanandmillerbug Sep 12, 2016 at 10:13 am

My one year old nephew LOVES Tofu! I am betting the kiddo would love these!

• Reply NPC Sep 12, 2016 at 3:50 pm

Mmm… That is one tasty looking stir fry! This would be great for dinner this weekend! Thanks!

• Reply Jenny Sep 12, 2016 at 4:16 pm

Ive never tried tofu, but ot looks delicious!

• Reply mimicutelips Sep 12, 2016 at 5:22 pm

I’ve never tried tofu, but this looks really yummy. I’m sitting here hungry and have zero idea what we are eating for dinner.

• Reply Bella Sep 12, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Oh my this looks delicious! I really enjoy tofu but have never tried cooking it myself – I am afraid I will mess it up somehow.

• Reply Angie's Angel Help (@angiesangelhelp) Sep 13, 2016 at 6:01 am

I have never tried Tofu, however this recipes looks so good I really want to try it now. Maybe this weekend.

• Reply Bonnie Gowen Sep 13, 2016 at 4:36 pm

That looks so delicious! I have never tried tofu before. I can’t wait to try this.

• Reply Bites for Foodies Sep 13, 2016 at 6:40 pm

I need to start cooking more with tofu…I used to at it all the time and then got sick of it! This recipe has inspired me!

• Reply Eloise Sep 13, 2016 at 8:32 pm

well that look fantastic! I’ve never had tofu, heard it’s not too great… BUT, with that being said, I’d definitely try this as it looks super flavorful! : )

• Reply Stephanie Pass Sep 13, 2016 at 8:34 pm

This tofu stir fry looks amazing! That is one of my favorite things to eat, and I love the garlic sauce!

• Reply Jasmine Watts Sep 14, 2016 at 11:19 pm

Yummm… Looks so good! I love cooking and would love to try-out your recipe! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Farrah Less G. Sep 17, 2016 at 5:11 am

Worth sharing for definitely will add this on my menu. I’m slowly shifting to become a vegan. And this recipe is perfect for my taste bud.