Satisfy your taste buds with these air fryer chicken drumsticks, one of the best recipes you'll ever try. These drumsticks are seasoned with simplicity, yet they're bursting with flavor, and they come out juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside. These drumsticks are for you if you want a quick and easy dinner idea that will make everyone at the table happy and stoked for seconds.
In this recipe post, I'll walk you through the easy steps of cooking delicious chicken drumsticks in an air fryer.
I'll provide you with a list of the essential ingredients to create the perfect seasoning for your drumsticks, a detailed step-by-step cooking process, and some handy tips to ensure your meal turns out just right. You can cook them in an air fryer or an oven, making it convenient for any home chef.
To create the most flavorful air fryer drumsticks, you'll need just a handful of simple ingredients:
1. Drumsticks: Drumsticks are the star of this dish of course. They're flavorful and juicy, with tender meat that's perfect for air frying.
2. Ground Cumin: Ground cumin is the main seasoning in this recipe and imparts a warm, earthy, and slightly nutty flavor to the drumsticks. It's an essential spice for many cuisines and adds depth and complexity to the dish.
3. Garlic Powder: Garlic powder provides a rich and savory garlic flavor to the drumsticks without the texture of fresh garlic. It's convenient and ensures that the garlic taste is evenly distributed throughout the dish.
4. Olive Oil: Olive oil is used to coat the drumsticks, helping to crisp up the skin in the air fryer and prevent them from drying out. It also adds a mildly peppery flavor to the dish.
5. Salt: Salt is a fundamental seasoning that enhances the natural flavors of the drumsticks and brings out the other flavors.
6. Black Pepper: Black pepper provides a mild heat and a slight spiciness that complements the cumin and garlic.
In combination, these ingredients create a well-rounded and flavorful seasoning blend that elevates the taste of the drumsticks, making them savory, aromatic, and satisfying.
How to Cook Chicken Drumsticks in an Air Fryer
With these simple steps, you'll have crispy and flavorful drumsticks ready to enjoy in no time using your air fryer.
1. Season the Drumsticks:
- Begin by patting the chicken drumsticks dry with paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ground cumin, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and olive oil. This mixture forms your seasoning.
- Place the drumsticks in a large bowl or a zip-lock bag and pour the seasoning over them.
- Massage the seasoning all over the drumsticks to ensure they are evenly coated.
2. Preheat the Air Fryer:
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F. If you have an air fryer liner, you can use it to make cleanup easier. Greasing the air fryer crisper is optional.
3. Air Fry the Drumsticks:
- Place the seasoned drumsticks on the air fryer crisper in a single layer. Be sure not to overcrowd them, as this will help ensure they cook evenly and get crispy.
- Set the timer for 20 minutes. The first 10 minutes will start the cooking process.
- After the initial 10 minutes, carefully flip the drumsticks to ensure even cooking and browning.
- Continue air frying the drumsticks for another 10 minutes or until they are fully cooked. The total cooking time may vary depending on the size and thickness of the drumsticks, so you can adjust as needed to ensure they're cooked through and crispy on the outside.
If you don't have an air fryer or prefer to bake the drumsticks, here's an alternative method:
1. Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). Make sure it's fully preheated before you put in the drumsticks.
2. Prepare the Drumsticks:
- Follow the same steps to season the drumsticks as described in the previous instructions.
3. Bake the Drumsticks:
- Place the seasoned drumsticks on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a greased baking dish. Ensure they are in a single layer and not crowded.
- Bake the drumsticks in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until cooked. The exact cooking time may vary depending on the size of the drumsticks and your oven, so it's important to check for doneness.
With these baking instructions, you'll achieve tender, well-seasoned drumsticks with a crispy exterior, making them an excellent alternative to the air fryer method. Enjoy your meal!
Here are some helpful tips for air frying drumsticks. By following these tips, you'll be well on your way to perfectly air-fried drumsticks that are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
1. Pat the Drumsticks Dry: Before seasoning, make sure to pat the drumsticks dry with paper towels. This helps to remove excess moisture and allows the seasonings to adhere better, resulting in crispier skin.
2. Marinating is optional. Marinating your chicken drumsticks is optional, but it can enhance the flavor. If you choose to marinate, you can let the chicken sit in the marinade for about 10 minutes.
3. Use an Air Fryer Liner: To make cleanup easier, consider using an air fryer liner. It prevents the drumsticks from sticking to the basket and makes cleanup a breeze.
4. Don't Overcrowd: Ensure that you don't overcrowd the air fryer basket. Leaving some space between the drumsticks allows for better air circulation, leading to more even cooking and crisper results.
5. Flip Halfway Through: When cooking, flip the drumsticks halfway through the cooking time. This helps ensure that both sides cook evenly and become crispy.
6. Use a Meat Thermometer: To guarantee that the drumsticks are fully cooked, use a meat thermometer. The internal temperature should reach 165°F (74°C) to ensure they are safe to eat.
7. Adjust Cooking Time: The cooking time may vary depending on the size and thickness of the drumsticks and your specific air fryer model. Be prepared to adjust the cooking time as needed to achieve your desired level of crispiness.
8. Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer to the recommended temperature before adding the drumsticks. This ensures they start cooking immediately and helps achieve better results.
9. Serve Immediately: For the best texture, serve the drumsticks right after cooking. They are at their crispiest when fresh out of the air fryer.
10. Experiment with Seasonings: Feel free to get creative with seasonings. While the provided recipe is delicious, don't hesitate to experiment with your favorite spices and herbs to customize the flavor to your liking.
Discard any air fryer chicken drumsticks that have stayed out of the fridge for too long. If they've been at room temperature for over 2 hours in moderate weather or just 1 hour in very hot conditions over 90°F, they're not safe to eat. For more food safety tips, consult the provided resource.
- After cooking, allow the chicken drumsticks to cool at room temperature for no more than 2 hours.
- Put any leftovers in an airtight container.
- When stored properly, cooked chicken can stay fresh in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Here's how to reheat leftover chicken drumsticks:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Put the chicken drumsticks on a baking sheet or in a baking dish.
- Gently cover it with aluminum foil, and then bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the inside temperature reaches 165°F.
Check Out More Easy Chicken Recipes
I hope you'll enjoy this recipe and share it with friends! If you try it and don’t mind, please leave me a comment and/or give this recipe a rating. Be sure to subscribe to receive weekly recipes and follow me on Pinterest.
Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- In a mixing bowl, combine olive oil, ground cumin, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Place the drumsticks in a large bowl or a zip-lock bag and pour the seasoning over them. Massage the seasoning onto the drumsticks for even coating.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F.
- Place the seasoned drumsticks on the air fryer crisper in a single layer.
- Cook the drumsticks for 10 minutes, then flip and continue cooking for another 10 minutes or longer until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Preheat Oven: Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Prepare Drumsticks: Season the drumsticks as mentioned above.
- Bake: Arrange seasoned drumsticks on a baking sheet or greased dish in a single layer. Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until fully cooked, adjusting for size and oven variability.