These Dry Rub Chicken Wings are a delicious finger food or game-day food for the big game, pot lucks, movie nights or other gatherings. The chicken wings are coated beautifully with a homemade Memphis dry rub seasoning.
These dry rub chicken wings are crispy on the outside and tender and juicy inside. It’s so tasty and addictive. Skip the party platter and make these delicious chicken wings to feed the crowd.
I am a big fan of chicken wings so here’s another good chicken wings recipe on my site for you to try and share! This dry rub chicken wings recipe is so easy to make, and is also affordable and delicious! You can make this wings recipe in the oven, or using a pressure cooker like Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi.
I cooked these dry rub chicken wings using a pressure cooker (Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker TenderCrisp), but they also work well using an Instant Pot or going traditional oven-baked. Don’t worry, just keep reading because I’ll show you how the complete cooking instructions for each way on the recipe card below.
Check Out More Instant Pot Chicken Wings Recipes:
- KOREAN BBQ WINGS (INSTANT POT + OVEN-BAKED INSTRUCTIONS)
- INSTANT POT CHICKEN WINGS WITH BUFFALO SAUCE
Why This Dry Rub Chicken Wings Recipe Works:
You will love this dry rub chicken wings recipe because:
- These dry rub chicken wings are loaded with flavor. The wings are coated with a mixture of dried spices resulting in a wide range of flavors. This homemade dry rub works like magic! The combination of salt and sugar used as flavor enhancers to open up your taste buds. They also make the meat tasty and tender, yum!
- The chicken wings have the perfect crispiness yet are made without deep-frying! That means these chicken wings contain fewer calories compared to the chicken wings you get at local barbecues, sports lounges or restaurants.
- Marinating is an optional step. Generally, you want to marinate the meat in a dry rub for at least 30 minutes. However, if you are going to cook these chicken wings in a pressure cooker as last-minute finger food, feel free to skip marinating!
- A quick finger food recipe! These delicious chicken wings can be ready in 20 minutes using a pressure cooker (Ninja Foodie or Instant Pot), or up to 40 minutes using a conventional oven.
CHECK OUT THESE HIGH-RATED INSTANT POT RECIPES:
- INSTANT POT QUESO DIP RECIPE
- INSTANT POT HAMBURGER HELPER
- INSTANT POT CARNITAS – MEXICAN PULLED PORK
- INSTANT POT BEEF STROGANOFF
- INSTANT POT BRISKET AKA PULLED BEEF FOR SLIDERS!
- INSTANT POT BEEF SHORT RIBS – BONELESS!
- INSTANT POT GREAT NORTHERN BEAN SOUP
- INSTANT POT ITALIAN SAUSAGE KALE SOUP
Dry Rub Seasoning:
This homemade dry rub seasoning can be the reason to finally stop buying those overpriced store-bought dry rubs (many of which have unhealthy ingredients that I can’t even pronounce)!
This dry rub contains simple ingredients you can find in your pantry. Even total beginners in the kitchen can make it, and then rub offers complex flavor blends without overpowering the meats. It’s a great seasoning to spice up your meats.
To make this dry rub seasoning, you will need the following spices: onion powder, ancho chili pepper, light brown sugar, chili powder, ground cumin, ground cayenne pepper, dried mustard, black pepper, oregano, ginger powder, kosher salt. As always with my other chicken wings recipe, I added a small amount of paprika and garlic powder as a basic dry seasoning.
The dry rub can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
How to Make Dry Rub Chicken Wings:
As I mentioned earlier, I cooked these wings using a pressure cooker, Ninja Foodi .(Disclosure: this is not a sponsored post nor I’m being paid to promote the product).
With Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker TenderCrisp , I can cook the chicken wings faster than a conventional oven or griller. It also allows me to crisp the chicken using the air crisp mode without using a ton of oil. It’s my current favorite kitchen tool for cooking chicken wings.
Here’s how I make these chicken wings using the Ninja Foodi pressure cooker:
- First, I coat the chicken with the dry rub.
- Second, I cook the chicken wings at high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Third, I crisp the chicken wings using the air crisp mode for about 15 minutes.
- The final result? Flavorful crispy chicken wings on the outside and tender meat on the inside.
If you are an Instant Pot user, just follow the same directions until cooking the wings at high pressure. Then, you simply have to transfer the cooked chicken wings into a broiler to crisp them. This process should only take a few minutes, very quick!
These dry rub chicken wings can also be cooked in the oven. It takes a bit longer but it’s worth the wait! For non-pressure cooker users, you just need to bake the seasoned wings in the oven at 350F.
Dry Rub Chicken Wings
- 2 pounds chicken wings (wingettes and drumettes)
Dry Rub Seasoning:
- 1 tsp ground paprika or smoked paprika
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp ground mustard
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp kosher salt (add more according to your liking)
An Additional Ingredient for Oven Users Only:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
For Ninja Foodi, Instant Pot, and Other Similar Pressure Cooker Only:
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
Season the Chicken Wings with Dry Rub Seasoning:
- Place the chicken wings into a large bowl. Use paper towels to pat dry the wings. Transfer to a bowl.
- For Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi Users: In a small bowl, mix together all the dry rub seasoning ingredients until combined. For Oven Users: In a small bowl, mix together all the dry rub seasoning ingredients plus 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil until combined.
- Sprinkle the seasoning all over the wings, toss to coat evenly using your hands or tongs. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
For Oven Users only (Skip These Steps if You're Going to Cook Using an Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi!):
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a heavy-duty aluminum foil and place a wire rack in it.
- Place wings on a prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, flip, and bake for another 10 minutes, then turn the broiler on for an additional 10 minutes or until crispy.If the wings are below the minimum safe internal temperature of 165 °F, return to the oven and continue baking. Serve and enjoy!
For Instant Pot Users Only (Skip These if You're Going to Cook Using an Oven or Ninja Foodi!):
- Pour ¾-1 cup of water into Instant Pot® plus 1 tablespoon of liquid smoke and add a trivet or a steamer basket. Place the chicken into the trivet or steamer basket. Make sure the wings are not touching the water!
- Close the lid and make sure the pressure release valve is in the SEAL position. Select PRESSURE COOK and set HIGH. Set time to 5 minutes. Select START/STOP to begin.
- When the cooking cycle is done and beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes then turn the PRESSURE RELEASE valve to the VENT position. If the wings are below the minimum safe internal temperature of 165 °F, return to the instant pot and pressure cook the wings for an additional 2 minutes with quick release.
- Crisp the Chicken: Arrange the wings on the wire rack one above center position inside the broiler. Cook until crisp, about 4-6 minutes, turning pan once halfway through. Serve and enjoy!
For Ninja Foodi Users (Skip These if You're Going to Cook Using an Oven or Instant Pot!):
- Pour a cup of water plus 1 tablespoon of liquid smoke into the pot. Place wings into the Cook & Crisp™ Basket and place basket in the pot.
- Close the lid and make sure the pressure release valve is in the SEAL position. Select PRESSURE and set HIGH. Set time to 5 minutes. Select START/STOP to begin.
- When pressure cooking is complete, quickly release the pressure by turning the PRESSURE RELEASE valve to the VENT position.
- Make sure that your inner pot is dry. Close crisping lid. Select AIR CRISP, set temperature to 390°F, and set time to 15 minutes. Select START/STOP to begin. Open every 3-5 minutes to check for the crispness of your desire.