Crunchy Asian Slaw with Cabbage, Mango, Carrot and Tamarind Sauce

Crunchy Asian Slaw with Cabbage, Mango, Carrot and Tamarind Sauce

Looking for healthy salad recipes? Try this vegan salad, Crunchy Asian Slaw, made of shredded red cabbage, green cabbage, fresh mango, carrots, cilantro, mint, a drizzle of tamarind sauce and roasted unsalted peanuts on top. It’s rich in antioxidants, has very low calories, high in fiber and offers a lot of vitamins and minerals for your overall health and to help prevent cancer and heart disease. The rich amount of Vitamin C and beta-carotene in cabbage, mango, and carrots can keep the eyes, hair, and skin healthy and help to delay the aging process.

I was inspired to make this Crunchy Asian Slaw recipe after my last visit to one of the best vegan restaurants in Los Angeles.  For the tamarind sauce recipe, I mixed coconut milk, tamarind paste, lemon juice and a little maple syrup to balance out the tanginess. To boost the amount of Vitamin E content, I used avocado oil.  You may also use grapeseed oil or almond oil in this salad dressing recipe.  I sometimes like these alternatives to the strong flavor of the extra virgin olive oil, especially in Asian recipes.

Not in the mood for Tamarind salad dressing? Try this cabbage salad with this popular mango salad dressing.

Crunchy Asian Slaw with Cabbage, Mango, Carrot and Tamarind SauceI purchased the tamarind paste from my local Sprouts market. It’s an organic tamarind paste and the price is pretty expensive about $7.99 per 12 ounces. Tamarind paste is also available at almost any Asian grocery store where you can purchase it at much lower prices. The tamarind sauce goes well with this  Crunchy Asian Slaw.

If you ever have the chance to eat a tamarind take advantage of the opportunity!  It’s delicious and different from other fruits I’ve come across.  I’d say the same about other fruits from Asia as well, from durian to jackfruit to rambutan, the initial look (and in the case of durian, smell) may seem strange but give it a taste and you’ll be hooked.  Tamarind has an interesting history and has been used to reduce fevers, help with nausea, and its paste has even been used to make casts for broken bones.

Here’s How to Make Crunchy Asian Slaw with Tamarind Sauce:

4.5 from 4 votes
Crunchy Asian Salad with Cabbage, Mango, Carrot and Tamarind Sauce
Prep Time
5 mins
Cook Time
10 mins
Total Time
15 mins

Ingredients
For Tamarind Sauce:
  • 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
  • 2/3 cup  avocado oil or sunflower oil or any vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup cream coconut milk (for cooking)
  • black pepper to taste
  • 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup (add more according to your liking)
  • 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 2 small-medium size lemons)
For Salad:
  • 2 cups red cabbage , thinly shredded
  • 1 cup green cabbage , thinly shredded
  • 1/2 cup carrots shredded
  • 1/2 - 1 mango , thinly sliced
  • 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves , add more according to your liking
  • 3 tablespoons mint leaves , add more according to your liking
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted roasted peanuts , add more according to your liking
Instructions
  1. In a mixing bowl or salad dressing jar: Add tamarind paste, avocado oil, coconut milk, maple syrup, fresh lemon juice. Shake well. Add maple syrup and black pepper to taste.

2. In a salad serving bowl: mix together shredded cabbage, mango, carrot, cilantro, mint, drizzle with tamarind sauce and top with unsalted roasted peanuts.

Kim
    Jun 24, 2017 at 1:47 pm

I love the colors in this dish. It sounds yummy and perfect for summer cookouts. A nice change of pace.

Rebecca Swenor
    Jun 24, 2017 at 2:22 pm

This Crunchy Asian Slaw recipe sounds amazing and I will have to try making it. It is so important for us to eat things like this to the things our bodies need to stay healthy. The tamarind I have never heard of but will have to try finding and trying it now. Thanks for sharing the recipe and the information.

rika agustini
      Jun 29, 2017 at 12:10 pm

You can find the tamarind paste or tamarind fruit at any asian market. Perfect for any food or drink recipes.

Marysa
    Jun 25, 2017 at 8:45 am

To be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever cooked with cabbage before. This sounds pretty good, and healthy too. Makes for a good summer recipe. Sounds like it could also be easily tweaked to use it in a wrap or rice paper wrap.

Jennifer Van Huss
    Jun 25, 2017 at 2:41 pm

That looks fabulous! I love that it is not your standard green salad. Sometimes those can get so repetitive! This would be a great salad to serve at a girls night out! Love the colour!

rika agustini
      Jun 29, 2017 at 12:11 pm

Thanks so much Jennifer! Hope you’d enjoy this recipe.

Eileen | yesmissy.com
    Jun 25, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Yum this salad looks so fresh and tasty! It doesn’t look too hard to make either!

valmg @ Mom Knows It All
    Jun 25, 2017 at 7:41 pm

I’m not familiar with tamarind paste before. This slaw sounds like it has an intriguing flavor and I love all of the colors in there.

ricci
    Jun 25, 2017 at 9:26 pm

This Crunchy Asian Slaw both sounds and looks amazing!! I can see this as a side dish on many future recipes for sure. YUM!

Maurene Cab
    Jun 25, 2017 at 10:02 pm

Whoo! This is something unique. I never tried to prepare something like this before. Thanks for the recipe. It’s easy to follow.

margarette
    Jun 25, 2017 at 11:20 pm

That really looks delicious and nutritious. Whatever dressing, I would love to try and eat.

lily@militaryfamof8
    Jun 26, 2017 at 12:33 am

I think I haven’t seen any red cabbage in our markets here. But i guess that salad recipe will suit my mom’s taste for veggies.

Danik
    Jun 26, 2017 at 2:11 am

The colour puts me off but the food for this meal is yummy. Not sure why the purple colours put me off from eating this 😀

TIm B
    Jun 26, 2017 at 5:04 am

We can never go out to eat to Asian restaurants because of contamination issues in their kitchens for my kids food allergies. So I’m always looking for great dishes that we can make ourselves at home. This is a really nice dish here!

Debra Hawkins
    Jun 26, 2017 at 7:08 pm

This looks absolutely amazing! We eat a lot of Asian inspired food because it is so easy to make it gluten free. THis is gorgeous too!