This bean sprout stir-fry with tofu is a quick vegetarian dish that you can make for any weeknight dinner. It's also an inexpensive meal that will satisfy your craving. It's light low carb, and keto-friendly.
Bean Sprout Stir Fry with Tofu
If you are looking for delicious bean sprout recipes, try this bean sprout with tofu. It's probably one of the easiest Asian stir fry recipes to make at home.
The bean sprouts are seasoned lightly with soy sauce, ginger, and garlic then stirred together with firm tofu. It's the perfect one-skillet meal to make on your busy days.
Bean sprouts are young and sprouted mung beans. They can be sprouted in a variety of techniques, including in a jar. They are packed with nutrition and are an excellent source of antioxidants and vitamins. Best of all, they are low-carb and keto-friendly vegetables.
Bean sprouts are cultivated and consumed widely in East and Southeast Asia. They are commonly cooked in stir fry or served as toppings for soup and noodles. Here are some recipe ideas for bean sprouts: Laksa Soup, Soto Ayam, Singaporean Noodles, or Korean Bean Sprout Salad.
To make this bean sprout stir fry you will need fresh bean sprouts, garlic, tofu, soy sauce, ginger, scallions, salt, and black pepper.
Tofu: You can use firm or extra firm tofu. It's optional ingredient and it will not change the dish significantly.
Soy sauce: Soy sauce adds saltiness and umami flavor to every dish. I highly recommended using the low-sodium soy sauce so you can control how much sodium is going into the dish.
If you are not a big fan of soy sauce, feel free to skip it and use plain salt instead.
Bean Sprout Stir Fry with Tofu Cooking Steps
It's very important to stir fry the bean sprouts at high heat for a short period of time so they are tender-crisp.
Step 1. Prepare the Tofu
- Soak a block of tofu in salted water for 10-15 minutes. Drain the water.
- Put the tofu on a layer of paper towels. Place a weight on the tofu to remove excess moisture for about 15 minutes.
- Slice the tofu into small cubes.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet. Cook the tofu until browned on all sides. Set aside.
Step 2. Prepare the Bean Sprouts
- Remove the “hair” from the bean sprout's tip (if any).
- Rinse the bean sprouts under cold water then drain really well.
Step 3. Stir Fry the Bean Sprouts
- Heat about ½ tablespoon of oil on high heat and cook the ginger, garlic, and scallions for 10-15 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add tofu, bean sprouts, and soy sauce. Cook and keep stirring until the bean sprouts are tender-crisp.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper.
FAQ and Cooking Tips
The leftover bean sprout stir fry will last 1 day in the fridge. They must be kept in the fridge at 32°F or lower and reheated to a minimum temperature of 165°C before serving.
Raw bean sprouts are bad if they are past their best by date, mushy, smelly, slimy, and/or discolored.
Keep the fresh bean sprouts sealed and chilled. The USDA recommends that sprouts be stored at 32ºF. Fresh bean sprouts should be used within 1-2 days of purchase or follow the manufacturers’ storage instructions.
Check Out More Easy Stir Fry Recipes
- Vietnamese Lemongrass Stir Fry
- Vegetable Stir Fry with Tofu
- Shrimp and Green Peas Stir Fry
- Best Pork Tenderloin Stir Fry
- Chicken Stir Fry with Ginger
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below! I'd appreciate it.
Bean Sprout Stir Fry with Tofu
- 1 pound fresh bean sprouts, (remove hair, rinse under cold water, and drain well)
- 8 oz firm or extra firm tofu, (cut into small cubes)
- 3½ tablespoon vegetable, canola, or peanut oil, (divided)
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, (peeled and sliced)
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- salt and black pepper , (to taste)
- Soak a block of tofu in salted water (1½ cups of water + 2 teaspoon of salt) for about 10-15 minutes. Drain the water. Put the tofu on a layer of paper towels. Place a weight on the tofu to remove excess moisture for about 15 minutes then slice into small cubes.
- In a skillet, heat 3 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Cook the tofu until lightly browned on all sides (about 3-5 minutes). Set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat ½ tablespoon of oil on high heat. Cook the ginger, garlic, and scallions for 10-15 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add tofu, bean sprouts, and soy sauce. Cook and keep stirring until the bean sprouts are tender-crisp (about 3 minutes). Adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper.
Did you like this recipe? Leave a star rating! I'd appreciate it!