Looking for summer salad recipes? Try this Italian Chopped Salad with Salami & Pepperoncini Peppers! Made of chopped vegetables, herbs, and spices, fresh iceberg lettuce, radicchio, romaine heart, pepperoncini, mozzarella balls, black olives, sugar plum tomatoes, red onion, hard salami, Italian salami, and a homemade Italian Vinaigrette.
This Italian Chopped Salad is the perfect side for your grilled main dishes at picnics, dinners or potlucks. This light salad has a flavorful taste and is very refreshing. I served this salad with homemade zesty Italian dressing, made of avocado oil, apple cider vinegar, sugar, a pinch of salt and pepper, garlic and Italian seasoning mix. You can also turn this Italian chopped salad into Italian pasta salad, simply by adding cooled pasta into the salad mixture, stir to combine and refrigerate for at least two hours before serving.
When I visit the east coast of the US they seem to do a better job with salads that integrate meats and cheeses. I have found Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and New York to have the best food in this department, which is probably due to the longstanding food traditions in these areas and access to some of the best meats and cheeses in the country. One area where my salad differs from most of those you’ll find in those three aforementioned cities is that I strive for a lighter and healthier taste in my dressing. I like the other ingredients to shine and find that too often the salads from restaurants are drowned out by an overbearing dressing.
Here's how to make Italian Chopped Salad with Salami & Pepperoncini Peppers:
Italian Chopped Salad with Salami & Pepperoncini Peppers
Zesty Italian Salad Dressing
- ¾ cup avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil or any vegetable oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, , minced
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1-2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning, (no salt added, store bought)
- 1 ½ cups chopped radicchio
- 1 romaine heart
- 1 ½ cups iceberg lettuce
- ¼ cup sliced red onion
- ½ cup sugar plum tomatoes or cherry
- ¼ cup pitted black olives, (I opted for Kalamata olives)
- ¼ cup mozzarella balls
- ¼ cup Italian dry salami from Dietz & Watson
- ¼ cup hard salami from Dietz & Watson
- ¼ cup Pepperoncini Peppers
- In a mason jar, add avocado oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, white sugar, salt, pepper, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning. Close the lid and shake well. Refrigerate until its ready to use.
- To serve: In a mixing bowl, add all the salad ingredients and toss well.