This easy larb recipe with chicken is so easy to make, fresh ingredients perfect as a side dish or main dish. The taste is very refreshing, combination of fresh ingredients: mint leaves, cilantro, lemongrass, lime juice.
Wrapping a meal in lettuce or cabbage leaves dates back hundreds of years in Asia, but really didn’t become too popular in the US until more recently (likely when lettuce wraps from a larger chain became quite popular). I’m a big proponent of using lettuce or cabbage to wrap up food. First of all it’s a lot more fun than using a fork or spoon and a great way to consume healthy, leafy vegetables. Each bite has a nice contrast too of being milder at first then getting to the juicy vegetables, meat and spices inside a split-second later.
I have tried different larb or similar recipes from a number of countries in Asia: Cambodia, Thailand, Laos and Vietnam. The below recipe has a couple of items sourced from Thailand, but takes inspiration from all of these countries.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 2/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce (add more according to your liking)
- 1/2 -1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced Thai chilies or serrano chilies or ½ teaspoon Thai hot chili powder
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh lemongrass
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 15 leaves whole mint
- Fresh cabbage washed
- Place a skillet over high heat and and add low sodium chicken broth. Bring to boil and add ground chicken. Stir continuously to prevent lumps. Cook until chicken is browned or cooked through about 6 minutes.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Mix fish sauce, fresh lime juice, sugar, red onions and lemongrass in a mixing bowl, then add cooked ground chicken. Stir until well-mixed.
- Stir in fresh mint leaves and cilantro right before serving and spoon the mixture into the cabbage to serve.