Raw asparagus salad mixed with green peas, fresh watercress, blueberries and mint leaves. I served it with homemade Mustard-Shallot Vinaigrette salad dressing. This quick salad recipe is very high in vitamins and low in fat. It has a unique taste that is different from the other salads you see so often out there. On top of all of that this Raw Asparagus Salad with Mustard-Shallot Vinaigrette is also perfect for weight loss. I added some crispy bacon on top to add a bit saltiness and to give it a crunchy texture, but feel free to skip the bacon as this salad packs in a lot of taste on its own.
Peas are far underrated! Many people only consume peas from frozen bags of mixed veggies or lightly mixed into a curry, or stir fry. Their texture, taste and even shape work quite well however as a key component of a salad. For those folks that aren't as high on the pea taste as I am, a simple light and healthy dressing such as the one I've made here can compliment it wonderfully and change up the taste.
I did some trial and error to find the other veggies and fruit to mix in and have the flavors thrive. It's fortunate that each of them is extremely healthy in their own right. Blueberries are packed with antioxidants, asparagus is a great green to be getting each week, and watercress may, in fact, be the healthiest vegetable in the world. It can be bitter on its own, but in a salad like this one, that bitterness plays nicely with the sweetness of the blueberries.
- ½ teaspoon minced shallot, (use more according to your liking)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- salt, , to taste
- black pepper, , to taste
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon agave nectar, Optional - to add sweetness
- In a mixing bowl, whisk shallot, apple cider, olive oil, salt, black pepper, white vinegar and dijon mustard until well blended.Serve immediately or store in an airtight jar. Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Raw Asparagus Salad with Peas and Mustard-Shallot Vinaigrette
- 6 Fresh Raw Asparagus Spears, chopped
- 1 ¼ cups Fresh or Frozen Peas
- ⅓ cup Watercress leaves, washed and drained
- Mint Leaves
- ⅓ cup Fresh Blueberries
- Crisp Bacon, (find healthy bacon without nitrates, all natural). Cooked and crumbled into small pieces.
- In a salad bowl or salad serving plate, arrange all the ingredients in layers. Serve with fresh homemade mustard-shallot-vinaigrette salad dressing.
That Raw Asparagus Salad with Mustard-Shallot Vinaigrette looks amazing! I've been on a bit of a salad kick these past few weeks so I'll definitely have to try this recipe out.
Heather D. (@GirlGoneMom)
I just saw shallots in the grocery store. They are a great ingredient - especially in this yummy dressing.
This looks so delicious and easy to make. I will have to get the ingredients I need to make some this weekend. I am sure it will be a big hit.
I don't think I've ever tried asparagus raw before. In fact, I don't think I've even tried them in a cold salad before. This looks delish!
Yummy! I’m a fan of raw asparagus and I’m sure this tastes good. I’d love to try this at home.
Wow, I love the feel of crispiness of the food in the picture. Looks absolutely healthy.
That looks very refreshing. I have never tried eating raw asparagus. I'll try that sometimes.
Asparagus is one of my very favorite foods. I am going to have to try this out. I love it cooked, time to try it raw!