Summer Squash Casserole. This squash and zucchini casserole is the perfect side dish for any season or meal, from summer BBQ to Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
This creamy and cheesy summer squash casserole is made from fresh ingredients and without canned soup or egg. It’s one of my favorite ways to serve summer squash for a crowd-pleasing side dish.
Why You’ll Love this Summer Squash Casserole
- Flavorful: This squash and zucchini casserole is rich in flavor and is year-round comfort food.
- Great texture: The squash is so tender but not mushy.
- Perfect consistency: The sauce is cheesy and creamy but not too heavy.
Check Out More Delicious Side Dish Recipes:
- SKILLET FRIED CORN – BUTTERY!
- CAPRESE SALAD – FRESH TOMATO MOZZARELLA WITH BASIL
- ELOTES MEXICANOS – MEXICAN CORN SALAD
- EASY KETO CREAMED SPINACH – SO CHEESY!
- Shrimp Avocado Mango Salad
To make this summer squash casserole, you will need the following ingredients:
- Yellow Squash
- Heavy Cream
- Panko Bread Crumb
- Italian Seasoning
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
What To Serve With:
- OVEN-BAKED CHICKEN BREAST (SO TENDER AND JUICY!)
- LEMON PEPPER CHICKEN THIGHS
- GRILLED CHICKEN BREAST
- ROASTED HALF CHICKEN
- CHINESE ROASTED CHICKEN WITH A 3-INGREDIENT SPICE RUB)
- EASY ZA’ATAR ROASTED CHICKEN BREAST
- CRISPY GRILLED CHICKEN WINGS
- HEALTHY BAKED CHICKEN TENDERS (AKA CHICKEN STRIPS)
- DRY RUB CHICKEN WINGS (OVEN-BAKED/INSTANT POT/NINJA FOODI)
- INSTANT POT GARLIC PARMESAN CHICKEN WINGS (NINJA FOODI + OVEN-BAKED INSTRUCTIONS)
How to Make Squash Casserole
To cook this casserole it will take less than 20 minutes.
- First, you need to cook some of the ingredients in a skillet for about 6 minutes.
- Secondly, you need to bake the casserole in the oven for 8 minutes.
The Best Cheeses to Use
This recipe is very customizable. I listed sharp cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese as the ingredients. I think both kinds of cheeses really compliment each other. If paired together, you will have a bold, rich cheese flavor in the dish.
Best Breadcrumbs for Casserole
I also opted in for panko breadcrumbs because it has a crisper, airier texture than most types of bread crumbs on the market. I purchased the panko breadcrumbs from a local Trader’s Joe market.
You may use mild cheddar cheese in the replacement of sharp cheddar cheese.
Also, for a lighter sauce version, you can skip the cheddar cheese and use only Parmesan cheese instead (just use the same amount as the recipe calls for, no need to increase it).
Pecorino Romano is a good substitute for Parmesan. Just be sure to use one-third less than the recipe calls to keep the sodium level and flavor in line.
How to Store Zucchini and Squash Casserole
To store fresh squash in the fridge, you need to keep the squash whole, dry and unwashed. Then store it in a plastic or paper bag with that has had a few holes poked in it for airflow, and place it in the vegetable crisper drawer. The squash should last up to two weeks.
Properly stored, cooked squash casserole will last for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator. You can check out more info about cold food storage guide here.
Summer Squash Casserole
- 2 cups diced yellow squash
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 tbsp chopped shallots
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (lightly packed)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (divided)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumb (use more according to your liking)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and shallots, cook for about 10 seconds. Then add chopped squash, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, cook and stir occasionally for about 3 minutes or until the yellow squash and zucchini are crisp-tender. Then add garlic, cook for about 30 seconds.
Add heavy cream into the skillet and cook until reduced for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and 1/4 cup bread crumbs.
- Transfer the mixture into a 2-quart baking dish and sprinkle with 1/4 cup bread crumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake until golden brown for about 8 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.