This roasted yellow squash with parmesan cheese and herbs recipe is the perfect flavorful side dish that can be ready in less than 30 minutes. It's aromatic and has a deep flavor. Even Picky Eaters will love.
Low-Carb Roasted Yellow Squash with Parmesan Cheese
If you are looking for keto side dish recipes, try this roasted yellow squash with parmesan cheese.
It is a low carb version of my Summer Squash Casserole recipe, made without breadcrumbs.
This roasted squash is so delicious and healthy. It will make you forget that you're on a diet.
The roasted squash is so tender and flavored with the simple seasoning you can find in your pantry.
It's an easy squash recipe that everyone will love.
To make this roasted summer squash, you need the following ingredients: yellow squash, parmesan cheese, olive oil, Italian herbs, cayenne pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Yellow Squash - Low Carb and Nutritious
Yellow squash is high in vitamins A, B6, and C, folate, magnesium, fiber, riboflavin, phosphorus, and potassium. It is also rich in manganese. Manganese is a useful mineral to help the body's ability to process fats and carbohydrates.
Summer squashes are non-starchy vegetables and are low in carbohydrates, making them acceptable for some Keto-dieters.
Squash: a Go-To Vegetable
If you asked me ten years back which vegetables I had most I probably would have said lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and carrots.
I still eat a lot of those but now consume as much squash and zucchini as much as other vegetables. They're tasty on their own or in a salad and are especially great in a hot dish.
When cooked just right they both have a nice mix of both firm and soft and are juicy to bite into. I hope to add a lot more squash recipes to the site, they never let me down!
How to Roast Yellow Squash with Parmesan Cheese in the Oven:
Step 1. Prepare the Yellow Squash
- Trim the stem end of the squash and cut them into round slices with equal thickness so they cook evenly.
- Use paper towels to absorb some excess water from the yellow squash to prevent a mushy texture after cooking.
Step 2. Prepare the Seasoning
In a small bowl, combine all of the seasoning ingredients. Set aside.
Step 3. Season the Squash
Transfer the squash to a large bowl or a shallow baking dish. Add the seasoning. Stir to combine.
Step 4. Bake in the Oven
Preheat the oven to 450°F and cook the squash, uncovered, for about 20-25 minutes.
FAQ and Cooking Tips:
You can store the leftover cooked yellow squash in an airtight container. The leftover can last 3–5 days in the refrigerator.
You can reheat the leftover in the oven at 450°F for about 5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
No, you don't need to peel the yellow squash before cooking. The skin is edible and nutritious. In addition, the skin helps the squash hold together better when cooked and adds a nice texture to the overall dish.
Do not wash the squash before storing. You can store the fresh yellow squash in a plastic bag that has a few holes poked in it. Summer squash can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
You can use thyme, oregano, basil, and/or rosemary.
What to Serve with Roasted Squash
- Oven-baked Chicken Breast (so tender and juicy)
- Grilled Chicken Breast
- Roasted Half Chicken
- Chinese Roasted Chicken
- Easy Za'atar Roasted Chicken Breast
- Crispy Grilled Chicken Wings
- Healthy Baked Chicken Tenders
- Dry Rub Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below! I'd appreciate it.
ROASTED YELLOW SQUASH WITH PARMESAN CHEESE AND HERBS
- 7 cups thick-sliced yellow squash (about ¼ inch to 1 cm in thickness), (from 6-7 medium-size yellow squash)
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp kosher salt, (use less or more according to your liking)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp Italian herb seasoning
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper, (OPTIONAL)
- Preheat oven to 450° F
- Trim the stem end of the squash and cut them into round slices with equal thickness so they cook evenly. Use paper towels to absorb some excess water from the yellow squash to prevent a mushy texture after cooking.
- Transfer to a large bowl, and season with oil, Italian herbs, cayenne pepper, parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to a shallow baking dish. Cook, uncovered, for about 20-25 minutes.
Check Out These Low Carb-Friendly Recipes:
- CHICKEN IN BLACK BEAN SAUCE
- INSTANT POT GARLIC PARMESAN CHICKEN WINGS (NINJA FOODI + OVEN-BAKED INSTRUCTIONS)
- HARISSA CHICKEN RECIPE – OVEN ROASTED!
- CREAMY CHICKEN MARSALA
- HUNAN BEEF WITH CUMIN
- INSTANT POT CHICKEN WINGS WITH BUFFALO SAUCE
- SHRIMP AND GREEN PEAS STIR FRY
- KOREAN SPINACH SALAD RECIPE (SIGUEMCHI NAMUL)
Check Out More Side Dish Recipes
- GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE RECIPE FROM SCRATCH
- AIR FRYER BACON WRAPPED ASPARAGUS
- HOMEMADE CRANBERRY SAUCE WITH ORANGE JUICE
- ROASTED SWEET POTATOES
- INSTANT POT MASHED SWEET POTATOES
- INSTANT POT COLCANNON – IRISH MASHED POTATOES
- ROASTED BABY POTATOES WITH ROSEMARY AND GARLIC
- MOROCCAN COUSCOUS WITH CURRANTS AND PINE NUTS
- ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH PANCETTA AND APPLE
- HASSELBACK BUTTERNUT SQUASH WITH BROWN BUTTER SAGE
- CAULIFLOWER STUFFING (LOW CARB AND HERBY)
- BUTTERNUT SQUASH GRATIN