This shrimp and green peas stir fry is a quick Chinese recipe. It’s so flavorful, affordable and very easy to make. A healthy Asian dinner for your family. Just throw all the ingredients in the wok, stir fry and it should be ready in less than 10 minutes! The perfect delicious meal for your busy weeknights!
Shrimp and Green Peas Stir Fry:
If you are a fan of Chinese food or Chinese take-out then you’ll want to try this easy stir-fried shrimp and peas recipe. It’s a simple and tasty dish from the Sichuan region of China. The shrimp are dipped in egg whites, deep-fried and then stir-fried with peas. This Chinese recipe tastes much better than take-out, and it is also much healthier, especially since it uses no MSG.
Making Chinese food at home is much simpler than you think, so you’ll benefit from the time savings. Of course, you will need a good wok and don’t forget to stock up your pantry with some staple Chinese condiments or spices as just a handful will come into play on so many different recipes.
More Shrimp Recipes:
To make this shrimp and green peas stir fry recipe, you need fresh shrimp, egg whites, peas, corn starch, ginger root, rice wine, salt, sugar, and pepper. You also need a good wok or a non-stick skillet pan. It’s absolutely easy to make and most importantly it tastes delicious. So, let’s talk about the cooking ingredients and cooking process below.
Choosing and Prepping Shrimp:
In this recipe, we are going to use medium-size shrimp, about 36-50 per pound.
The shrimp are the star of the dish. Therefore, you’ll want to use the best shrimp that have a superior fresh taste. First off, when picking your shrimp you’ll want to avoid any shrimp that smell like ammonia. You also want to steer clear of shrimp with signs of decay, like those that are limp or slimy. Also do not purchase shrimp with yellow or gritty shells.
It’s highly recommended using fresh shrimp with shells on as they have more flavor. Before you cook them, you need to peel and devein the shrimp by using a toothpick or knife to lift out the black vein and wipe it off on a paper towel. Then, you’ll want to dry the shrimp, a key step before you dip them into the egg white.
Cooking with Peas:
You can use fresh or frozen green peas. If frozen peas are used, you may want to thaw and completely drain them before cooking. Fresh is always better in my book for peas are one vegetable where the frozen selection can taste pretty good, toon.
Asian Stir Fry Seasoning:
This recipe uses a simple seasoning, made of rice wine, salt, sugar, and pepper. Just a handful of ingredients and you have a nice Asian seasoning that again doesn’t have all of the MSG that you’ll be getting from most Chinese restaurants.
CHECK OUT MORE ASIAN RECIPES:
- SOBA NOODLE SALAD RECIPE WITH ASIAN SALAD DRESSING
- BEST PORK TENDERLOIN STIR FRY (ASIAN BOWL)
- ASIAN GROUND BEEF STIR FRY
- ASIAN CHOPPED SALAD WITH SESAME GINGER DRESSING
- STIR FRY GINGER CHICKEN
- SPICY THAI NOODLES – QUICK AND TASTY!
- MINCED PORK NOODLES WITH HOISIN SAUCE
- FRIED RICE RECIPE WITH EGG, HAM, AND SHRIMP
- SESAME NOODLES (MA JIANG MIAN)
Shrimp and Green Peas Stir Fry
- Wok or non-stick skillet
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 2½ tbsp peanut oil
- ½ pound green peas (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 1 thin slice ginger root
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking rice wine (such as Shaohsing Rice Cooking Wine)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Peel and devein shrimp. Wash and drain, then dry them well.
- If frozen peas are used, you may want to thaw and completely drain them before cooking.
- In a small bowl, combine corn starch and egg white.
- In another small bowl, combine rice wine, salt, and sugar.
- Dip the shrimp into the egg white and cornstarch mixture. Toss to coat.
- Heat 1 ½ tablespoons of the oil in the wok or frying pan over moderately high heat. Add the shrimp and stir-fry until just done, about 3 minutes. Make sure they don't stick to one another. Transfer the shrimp to the wire racks or a plate layered with paper towels to let drain a few moments.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a wok. Reduce the heat to moderate and once it’s hot, add-in ginger and cook until fragrant. Then, add in the green peas. Stir fry for about 2 minutes, until the peas are heated just enough. Next, add the shrimp and stir fry for a few seconds.
- Increase the heat to high, and pour the rice wine, salt, and sugar into the stir fry mixture.
- Remove the slice of ginger and taste everything, then add seasoning with salt and pepper if needed. Remove from the heat to prevent the shrimp from being overcooked.
- Serve with rice and enjoy.
This recipe adapted from The Joy of Chinese Cooking.