This stir fry ginger chicken tastes amazing! It's perfect for easy weeknight dinners as it's made entirely in one skillet pan. Skip the Chinese take out and make this stir fry chicken recipe at your fingertips.
Craving for some Chinese food or take out? Don't feel intimidated to make this stir fry recipe at home! The stir fry ginger chicken is so yummy and is actually pretty easy to make. So get your wok or skillet ready because this dish can be done in 30 minutes.
Also, Check out these tasty Asian recipes:
- BEST PORK TENDERLOIN STIR FRY (ASIAN BOWL)
- GREEN PAPAYA SALAD (SOM TAM) – A TASTY THAI STREET FOOD
- THAI BASIL CHICKEN (PAD KRAPOW GAI)
- NASI GORENG RECIPE (INDONESIAN FRIED RICE)
- MINCED PORK NOODLES WITH HOISIN SAUCE
This stir fry ginger chicken is made with chicken breast, fresh green bell peppers and is seasoned with easy Asian condiments and spices that you can find in your pantry or grocery markets.
What Does This Stir Fry Ginger Chicken Taste Like?
This stir fry chicken actually tastes quite similar to sweet and sour chicken. The sauce has the perfect touch of sweetness and sourness, yet definitely used fewer ingredients compared to sweet and sour chicken (without sacrificing the taste!). The sauce has a bold gingery taste. If you are not a big fan of ginger then feel free to use a smaller portion of it.
This stir fry ginger chicken is also kid-friendly. A good skillet chicken recipe that your family will love and enjoy! Also, serve this stir fry chicken with some rice and don't forget the chopsticks.
How to Make this Stir Fry Ginger Chicken:
There are a few important steps to making this delicious skillet chicken. And I am going to list them below:
- First, breading! During this process, you will want to coat the cubed chicken with salt, corn starch, and egg white mixture.
- Second, you need to make the sauce by combining the ingredients listed below, and bringing them to a boil. This process should be quick.
- Third, you need to separately cook the breaded chicken, until the meat is cooked through, crispy and golden.
- Last, you are going to cook the remaining ingredients, including the green bell peppers and additionally cook the chicken meat in a sauce.
How to Make the Stir Fry Sauce:
To make the stir fry sauce, you will only need 5 ingredients:
- rice vinegar
- white sugar
- white vinegar
- dry sherry
You may also need a pinch of salt and pepper to adjust the seasoning according to your liking.
How to Store the Leftover Stir Fry Chicken
Any dish containing cooked chicken will stay good in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. If you don't think you'll be able to eat leftovers within four days, then freeze them immediately to avoid any risk of food poisoning. Generally, a stir fry chicken can be frozen up to 3 months.
Be sure to store the leftover stir fry in an airtight container and do not let the chicken sit at room temperature for more than 2 hours after cooking.
Stir Fry Ginger Chicken
For the Sauce:
Additional Ingredients for Stir Fry:
- 1 garlic, (minced)
- 1 extra large whole green bell pepper
- 2 oz ginger
- 2 tablespoon peanut or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 2 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry or rice wine
- Cut the chicken lengthwise into bite-sized chunks. Place in a bowl then mixes with ½ teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon rice wine. Set aside.
- Cut the ginger lengthwise into thin-slices then add a pinch of salt, let it stand for a few minutes to soften. Squeeze out the ginger to remove extra liquid, set aside.
- Dice the green bell pepper into one inch pieces. Set aside.
To Make Stir Fry Sauce:
- In a small saucepan, place ketchup, vinegar, white sugar, and salt. Mix well and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. As soon as the liquid comes to a boil, remove from the heat and set aside.
Pre-cook the Chicken Breast:
- Coat the chicken cubes with 1 tablespoon of corn starch and 1 egg white.
- Heat about ½ cup - 1 cup of oil in a large skillet to 375°. Stick the end of a wooden spoon into the oil. If you see many bubbles form around the wood, your oil is ready for frying.
- Cook the chicken until golden and cooked through, be sure to keep stirring and turning occasionally to prevent burning, about 3-5 minutes each side. Set aside.
Stir Fry the Vegetables and Chicken in a Sauce:
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat and stir fry the garlic for about 10 seconds.
- Add green bell pepper and ginger, cook for about 2 minutes. Be sure to keep stirring to prevent burning.
- Add the dry sherry, chicken and the sauce, adjust the heat to high and toss to coat (about 1-2 minutes).
- If the sauce is too thin, add the thickening agent (1 teaspoon of corn starch dissolved with 2 teaspoons of water). Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
- Remove from the heat and serve with rice.