This chow mien recipe (also known as Chinese fried noodle) is a perfect quick and easy meal for lunch or dinner. The recipe is flexible, and works well with just about any chicken or meat, even those that are leftovers.
Tips: Try not to overcook the noodles. I often go rogue in my cooking but for these noodles it’s not a bad idea to follow the package directions for heating the noodles and to quickly wash with cold water upon completion to give it an immediately cooling off. You may also add 1-2 tablespoons of cooking oil to the cooked noodles if you think you may want to fry them at a later time.
Chicken Chow Mein
- 2 pieces boneless skinless thighs, cut into very thin and small
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 pieces carrot, cut into small or julienned
- 2 cups broccoli or napa cabbage, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 8 ounces Chinese noodle/Lo mein/ Ramen
- Salt/pepper if needed, according to your liking
- Marinade the chicken with 2 teaspoons of soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil in a small bowl. Set it aside while you cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain the noodles well.
- Heat the peanut oil in a large skillet. Add the marinated chicken when the skillet is very hot and stir-fry until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the broccoli, red bell pepper and garlic, stir-fry for 2 minutes then add the noodles and keep stirring for another 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining soy sauce, oyster sauce, cooked chicken to the skillet. Keep stirring for 2 more minutes.
- Serve in a plate and enjoy when the noodles are still warm.
Jenn @ EngineerMommy
This recipe sounds so delicious! I've ordered this from the take-out place near my house many times, but I'd love to try this recipe and make it at home!
Chicken chow mein is my favorite! I have never seen it with the different bell peppers in it, and would LOVE to try it that way!
Chicken chow mein is one of my favorite restaurant dishes. I would never think to make it myself. But, this looks really good.
I have never made a chow mien before but this looks easy and yummy! Great recipe!!
Amanda @ Adorkablii
Now this looks truly amazing and I saved it to my Yummy account!!! I have to make this soon! It looks so darn good!
Chow mein is delicious but I have never made it myself. I can't wait to try this recipe out.
Yes! This will now be dinner tomorrow! I can't wait!
Oh yum! This seems like the perfect weeknight meal. I love chicken chow mein! Can't wait to try this
Yum! That looks so delicious.Love all the veggies in there!