If you are looking for delicious easy breakfast recipes to make this upcoming week, check out these chorizo egg tacos.
These Chorizo egg tacos are made of simple ingredients and are so quick to make, even on a hectic weekday morning! I served the chorizo, eggs on store-bought corn tortillas, for those of you who have a little more time making them from scratch is always tastier.
I purchased the chorizo from my local store. Since it has been previously seasoned and had the salt already added, I minimize the amount of extra seasoning during my prep and cooking. To make the cooking process go a little bit faster I cooked the potatoes in the microwave (with skin) for about 4-5 minutes.
I have tried vegetarian chorizo as a meat alternative and some of the brands out there do a pretty good job. It all comes down to having the right mix of spices and whether they nail that authentic taste. You can find options in both tofu and tempeh varieties. Tofu as a whole is much more popular here in America but in Asia, there are a lot more tempeh dishes. I am personally a big fan of the harder consistency but it’s not for everyone.
With the avocado and tomatoes, this dish is another healthy dish that I’m proud to share with you. For those of you on a health-watch you can of course use only the egg whites. With all of the other flavors going on here there’s no lack of taste so the yolks won’t be as missed as they are in some other dishes.
Chorizo Egg Tacos
- 2 large potatoes
- ½ pound chorizo , (bulk or sausage with casing removed Or use more according to your liking)
- 6 whole eggs
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup milk
- salt/pepper to taste
- tortillas, (soft flour or corn)
- fresh avocado
- fresh cilantro
- fresh salsa
- fresh chopped tomatoes
- Mexican cheese
- chopped red onion
Pre-cook the Potatoes in a Microwave:
- Wash potatoes and prick with a knife. Place on a microwave-safe plate.
- Cook the potatoes in the microwave for about 4-5 minutes. Remove and let them cool down for about 5 minutes before cutting into small pieces.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium-to-large sized skillet.
- Add potatoes, flipping and tossing them every 2-3 minutes to ensure even browning. Keep cooking until potatoes are crispy. Add salt/pepper to taste. Transfer to a plate.
Cook the Chorizo in a Skillet:
- Add chorizo into a skillet, then stir and break it into small pieces. Cook for about 4-5 minutes or follow the cooking instructions on the product packaging or until color indicates it’s fully cooked, and transfer to a plate.
Scramble the Eggs:
- In a medium mixing bowl, add eggs and milk with some salt and pepper if needed. Whisk until well blended. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until foamy.
- Pour the egg mixture in. As eggs begin to set, gently pull the eggs with a spatula, then continue cooking and pull, lift and fold the eggs. Continue cooking until the eggs are fully cooked.
- Remove from the heat , transfer to a plate.
To assemble tacos:
- Heat the tortillas in a skillet. Remove them and add generous amounts of potatoes, chorizo, and eggs.
- Top with avocado, cilantro, tomatoes, Mexican cheese, salsa and red onion.