Fettuccine alfredo, a classic that anyone can make! I’ve served it at home twice this week and it is becoming my kids’ favorite dinner meal. The best part of making your own alfredo sauce at home is you have control of everything that goes into it and equally important what does not go in).
We all know that Alfredo sauce contains butter and whipping cream. Many of the alfredo sauces on the market are loaded with saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium. It’s not only bad for your system but you’ll feel very weighed down afterward, maybe even lethargic.
CHECK OUT MORE PASTA RECIPES:
- ONE-POT PENNE PASTA
- CANNED TUNA PASTA
- WHITE SAUCE PASTA
- GARLIC BUTTER SHRIMP SCAMPI
- BRATWURST PASTA RECIPE (IN A BUTTERY BEER SAUCE)
To make this light version of fettuccine alfredo, I skipped the butter entirely and use a great quality heavy cream with fewer ingredients. It’s an organic and inexpensive expensive heavy cream from Horizon Brand. I actually grabbed a gallon from my Costco store for under $10.
As with any pasta dish you can add in different varieties of veggies, meats, or alter the pasta with others (like tricolored pasta). I’ve added tomatoes and chicken, and pretty classic flavors still but you could get a lot more creative than that. With a great-tasting and healthy sauce, it leaves you wide open on things to add. I really hope you enjoy this fettuccine alfredo sauce!
- 1 package dried fettuccine (about 500 grams)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 links sweet Italian chicken sausage (chasing removed)
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 6 cups fresh kale chopped
- ½-¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes Optional (Use more according to your liking)
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- fresh herbs (Like Mint, Parsley, Basil) Optional
- freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano optional
- Bring 6 quarts of salted water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add the pasta and cook until al dente, 6 to 8 minutes or according to packaging.
- Drain the pasta and reserve about 2 tablespoons of the pasta water.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook sausage until browned for about 3 minutes or until cooked.
- Add onion and stir until tender for about 1-2 minutes. Add garlic and saute until lightly browned but do not burn.
- Add the optional red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute. Stir in kale and cook until tender.
- Toss in drained cooked pasta and reserved water into the skillet. Stir for about 1 minute.
- Add heavy cream and Italian seasoning. Keep stirring for 1 minute.
- Add salt/pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Serve with fresh herbs and cheese