Greek yogurt is everywhere these days, and for good reason too. The health benefits of Greek yogurt are amazing on many levels, from increased probiotics to less sugar and sodium to other yogurt options. Did you know that Greek yogurt also makes a great marinade? I combined it with garlic, curry powder, and a few other ingredients that give my chicken an amazing taste. It doesn’t hurt that the thighs are probably the tastiest part of the chicken.
I cooked this in a small oven-top Dutch oven. Some are very expensive but you can pick up a smaller one for half the price and it may still be large enough to cook many meals for a small family. I personally taste the difference when I cook with a Dutch oven and so does the rest of my family, especially when trying to make a dish like Osso Buco or a very tender chicken. In my humble opinion it’s worth every penny.
- 4 in skin-on bone- chicken thighs
- 1 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons indian curry powder
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- For cooking:
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- salt/pepper according to your taste
- Mix greek yogurt, curry powder, garlic, fresh lemon juice, tomato ketchup, olive oil in a mixing bowl then add chicken thighs. Rub and marinade under skin of each thigh
- Place marinated chicken into a zip lock bag and place in fridge for at least 3 hours.
- In a large Dutch oven , heat one tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat
- Add marinated chicken and cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly brown
- Add broth and bring to a boil, Reduce heat, Cover the pot and simmer for 35 to 45 minutes or until chicken is done
- Add more broth if the liquid is reducing too much
- Add salt/pepper according to your taste
- Serve with rice